trainfan1

trooper99 wrote:
I am looking at a boat with an 1985 OMC sterndrive with 5L GM 305
engine.

If you really like the boat, consider in your offer that you will
repower with something more conventional... a daunting task. I would
think the boat would almost have to be free. The transom diaphragm is a
common failure.

The engine is a good one (Chevy small block) but the drive has much to
be desired, and the transom cutout would have to be filled & re-cut to
replace it. The tilt system and trim system are quixotic and complex,
and all drive parts are becoming hard to find for pre- Cobra drives.
Check www.dougrussell.com for reman/serviced drives available, and
prices you may be facing.

When the engine runs, I don't see any dribbler stream of water.
I am not familiar with this model of OMC sterndrive (68-86), but I had
a '67 that did have a dribbler. Also, all outboards I have ever had
always have a dribbler. Does anyone know where the dribler stream
should come from on this outdrive? Or if there is one?

No telltale("dribbler") on this unit.

I am concerned that there may be a bad impeller and if the owner is
oblivious to this, the result could be a heat damaged engine.

Should be obvious if any trouble in this regard with an in-water test
and physical inspection. Any "baked" paint or malformed rubber/plastic
parts? The impeller is an inexpensive repair, but it's failure can be
costly.

Also, I assume water should come out of the center of the prop with the
exhaust. Is this correct?

On the through-hub models(400 & 800), yes.

There is an underwater exhaust outlet on the earlier drives. It sounds
like you had an old Johnson or Evinrude I/O, with the "dribbler".

Good luck w/ all that!

Rob