sfcarioca

Default looking for purchase advice

Hey all,

I am thinking of doing what everyone is warned not to do, buying a
yacht that needs a lot of work. To make it worse, I've never owned
anything bigger than an old ski boat and am totally ignorant when it
comes to yacht engines and otherwise. This one is a 1988 34' Bayliner
Avanti with 2 gas engines.

I am receiving an incredible price for it ($20K), half of the fair
market value on the hull survey. Here are the troubling parts of the
surveys:

- Exhaust hoses burned and collapsed from lack of cooling water.

- Severe corrosion on engine oil cooler and leaking on both PORT and
STBD engines.

- PORT: Outboard manifold has been replaced with center rise unit. Not
plumbed correctly for proper water flow. Mounts for fuel filter
different and secured only by tie straps.

- STBD: Inboard manifold has been replaced with center rise unit and is
very rusty from water leaking from hose connection to riser. Not
plumbed correctly for proper water circulation.

- New alternator installed on engines have mismatched pulley-belt
combination and are slippling.

- Battery terminals unprotected by covers. Engine room has bad rust
and corrosion on motor mounts, brackets, clamps, and metal straps.
Carbs appear dirty and gummed up from lack of use and old gas.

My questions a

- I assume all of those items need to be fixed, what is the ballpark
cost of that?

- In general, how much would maintenance cost on such a boat per year
as more would break? I know it's impossible to know, but should I plan
on spending $1000 per yer? $2000 per year? $5000?

- How much should I plan on spending for insurance and registration per
year?

Thank you so much if you can provide useful information. Feel free to
try to talk me out of the purchase if you want :-)

NOYB

"sfcarioca" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey all,

I am thinking of doing what everyone is warned not to do, buying a
yacht that needs a lot of work. To make it worse, I've never owned
anything bigger than an old ski boat and am totally ignorant when it
comes to yacht engines and otherwise. This one is a 1988 34' Bayliner
Avanti with 2 gas engines.

Bayliners are great boats. I think you should buy it before someone else
snatches it up at that great price.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:34:55 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"sfcarioca" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hey all,

I am thinking of doing what everyone is warned not to do, buying a
yacht that needs a lot of work. To make it worse, I've never owned
anything bigger than an old ski boat and am totally ignorant when it
comes to yacht engines and otherwise. This one is a 1988 34' Bayliner
Avanti with 2 gas engines.

Bayliners are great boats. I think you should buy it before someone else
snatches it up at that great price.

Now that's just mean. :)

Later,

Tom

Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
Offshore Sailing Advice [email protected] Cruising 27 May 29th 04 12:41 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM
Give me advice! Bareboat charter in Caribbean nick Cruising 18 September 10th 03 11:09 PM
Advice on sailing courses in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia skunk.co.uk Cruising 4 July 26th 03 11:58 AM