Florida Keyz

Default wandering auto pilot

Against my better judgement, I am making a legitiment boating post here on
Wrecked Boats. I have an auto helm auto pilot(you O.T posters probably won't
know what an auto pilot is or does) and it has started to wander latley. Any
ideas on how to correct this.

For all you on topic posters, thanks in advance. For you O.T. Posters,, get a
life.

Sterling
William

Against my better judgement, I am making a legitiment boating post here on
Wrecked Boats. I have an auto helm auto pilot(you O.T posters probably won't
know what an auto pilot is or does) and it has started to wander latley. Any
ideas on how to correct this.

My autopilot will wander if I dont have the sensitivity adjusted right. Too
little and waits too long to correct, too much and the rudders go full left or
right at the slightest hint of being off course.
DSK

Florida Keyz wrote:
Against my better judgement, I am making a legitiment boating post here on
Wrecked Boats. I have an auto helm auto pilot(you O.T posters probably won't
know what an auto pilot is or does) and it has started to wander latley. Any
ideas on how to correct this.

For all you on topic posters, thanks in advance. For you O.T. Posters,, get a
life.

Is this on the boat you're trying to sell? Why do you devote 3/4 of your
post to ****ing & moaning about off-topic posts?

I can think of several reasons why your autopilot might wander. Have you
installed any new electrical equipment? Placed any metal or magnetic
objects near it?

1- make sure that the steering is in good order- play in any of the
linkage will make the autopilot wander. This includes barnacles on the
rudder.
2- check the power supply. Voltage transients do all sorts of weird things.
3- re-initialize the compass
4- re-initialize the traverse of the actuator & sender
5- adjust the gain & response speed.

Always start with the basics. For one thing, you often find little
contributory problems that would later cause other big problems if left
alone.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Lloyd Sumpter

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:11:17 +0000, Florida Keyz wrote:

Against my better judgement, I am making a legitiment boating post here on
Wrecked Boats. I have an auto helm auto pilot(you O.T posters probably won't
know what an auto pilot is or does) and it has started to wander latley. Any
ideas on how to correct this.

For all you on topic posters, thanks in advance. For you O.T. Posters,, get a
life.

Sterling

I had a similar problem with my Autohelm ST4000+. Problem turned out to be
loose connection to the compass.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Florida Keyz

Thanks to all for the help.
Sterling

Auto Pilot Richard Malcolm General 7 February 26th 04 04:04 AM
Lady Pilot is neither! Charles P. Steinmetz ASA 58 November 2nd 03 11:01 PM
seeking auto pilot sensing unit Sharp ! Helmut \(DF7ZS\) Boat Building 1 July 18th 03 08:42 AM
seeking auto pilot sensing unit Sharp ! Helmut \(DF7ZS\) Electronics 0 July 17th 03 08:36 AM
Seeking: Auto Pilot Sensing Unit Sharp Helmut \(DF7ZS\) UK Power Boats 0 July 17th 03 08:35 AM