~^ beancounter ~^

Default older boston whalers...

are these boats holding their value...for, say 20 year old
hulls? how do they stack up with the competitors?

opinions appreciated.....thanx....
Dan Krueger

http://tinyurl.com/6p9c2

Link for NADA Guides - Boat section. They go back to 1970.

Dan

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:

are these boats holding their value...for, say 20 year old
hulls? how do they stack up with the competitors?

opinions appreciated.....thanx....

Eisboch

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote in message
m...
are these boats holding their value...for, say 20 year old
hulls? how do they stack up with the competitors?

opinions appreciated.....thanx....

My opinion is that they hold their value somewhat better than others, but
mostly because of the name and well marketed reputation of being unsinkable.
At one time that was unique to Whaler, but many other manufacturers have
been building boats in a similar way for many years.

If well cared for, an older Whaler holds it's value, almost as a collector's
item. The hardware and fit/finish is above average. There are also many
older Whalers that are water logged, due to hull porosity or damage. I like
Boston Whalers (I have a 16 foot Dauntless) but if used for near shore ocean
boating, there are other hull designs I'd prefer in terms of soft ride and
dryness compared to the original Whaler hull.

Eisboch

~^ beancounter ~^

great info everyone...thanx for the url's and opinions...i guess
if an older whaler has been taken care of and maintained...it can
be a solid platform to "hang new machinery" on it and have a
decent / safe vessel.....

James Hebert wrote in message ...
In article ,
(~^ beancounter ~^) wrote:

are these boats holding their value...for, say 20 year old
hulls? how do they stack up with the competitors?

opinions appreciated.....thanx....

There are very few 20-year-olds to compete with
the Boston Whalers, because most of the others are
long gone, victims of their poor construction.

Most every Boston Whaler ever made is still afloat
and in use. Their initial cost was quite a bit
higher than other boats from 20 years ago, so
when assessing their current selling price, you
need to keep that in mind.

You can find over 210,000 forum articles about older
Boston Whaler boats at:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/

along with several dozen well-written and
well-researched articles about them.
This might give you more insight into
how some current owners feel about them.

Jim Hebert
Beverly Hills, Michigan