Jim--

Default OT Credible journalism or a touch of bias -- OT

Backyard Renegade wrote:

Harry Krause wrote in message
Backyard Renegade wrote:

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
Regardless of agenda or bias, the premise is basically true.
Husseins
capture is unlikely to seriously harm or impact Al Qaeda. The
connection -
if any - appears tangental at the most. The only way it can

impact
Al Qaeda
is to throw a scare into the corrupt states that look the

other
way
as
opposed to ****ing off thier more radical elements.

Iraq wasn't about Al Qaeda and was *never* billed as such. It

was
billed
(right or wrong) as about WMD.

Let me ask a question here. Is it at all possible that the

convoys
of
trucks tracked into Seria the last few weeks while the French,
Russians, and Germans held the majority of the member countries

back,
were the very carefully accounted for WMD moving to the Bekka

(sp?)
valley in Lebanon? Could we really know where they are

Uh, we have a president of the USA who couldn't point out

Afghanistan
on
a globe. You want an answer to a hypothetical?

Hummm, insults... I guess I should take that as a yes.

Insults? Bush is as dumb as a post. Why do you think he could point

out
Afghanistan on a globe of the world?

I assume you meant to say "could not".

No, I meant what I said.

Been drinking again Harry?

Why do you think Bush could point out Afghanistan on a map of the world?
I don't think he could do it.

Who gives a flying crap what you think?

Harry Krause

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

You do, obviously.

--
Email sent to is never read.
NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

Let me ask a question here. Is it at all possible that the

convoys
of
trucks tracked into Seria the last few weeks while the French,
Russians, and Germans held the majority of the member countries

back,
were the very carefully accounted for WMD moving to the Bekka

(sp?)
valley in Lebanon? Could we really know where they are

As to your question, certainly it is possible, but it is unlikely.

The
Israelis, who are far more sophisticated in these matters than we

are,
would have noticed.

Hehehe. You haven't been paying attention. The Israeli's *did*

notice.
Read:

Syria denies hiding Iraqi weapons
Sharon: Israel investigating reports
Wednesday, December 25, 2002 Posted: 3:13 PM EST (2013 GMT)

A bit naive about the Israelis, are we?

Me, naive? You said "the Israeli's would have noticed" convoys of large
trucks heading into Syria. I told you they already *did* notice...and I
provided a link from ONE YEAR AGO to prove it.

What's your spin now that you've been made to eat your words?

And the follow-up to a nothing report is?

I'm waiting.

Israeli Intelligence Leaks Knowledge of Iraqi Weapons Moved to Lebanon
before US Invasion

Israeli intelligence leaked that it knew that the Weapons of Mass
Destruction that Iraq was accused of having had been moved to Lebanon a
month before the invasion of Iraq.

Source: Debka.com, 2003-05-25 00:00:00.000

Syria is reported by DEBKA-Net-Weekly s intelligence sources as having
secretly disposed of Saddam Hussein s weapons of mass destruction by moving
them into eastern Lebanon for burial in the Beqaa Valley. Iraq s biological
weapons may be there too. They were interred deep under the heroin poppy and
cotton fields in two of the most fertile regions of Lebanon: the valley
stretching between Jabal Akroum, the town of al Qbayyat and the Syrian
border, and the land lying between the towns of Al Hirmil and al Labwah
between the Orontes River and the Syrian frontier.

On February 14, about a month before the start of the war in Iraq,
DEBKA-Net-Weekly Issue 97 ran an article captioned Is Iraq s WMD cache in
Lebanon available to Al Qaeda? To subscribe to DNW click HERE

Now, our intelligence sources can disclose exclusively that the relocation
of Iraq s WMD systems took place between January 10 and March 10 and was
completed just 10 days before the US-led offensive was launched against
Iraq. The banned arsenal, hauled in giant tankers from Iraq to Syria and
from there to the Bekaa Valley under Syrian special forces and military
intelligence escort, was discharged into pits 6-8 meters across and 25-35
meters deep dug by Syrian army engineers. They were sealed and planted over
with new seedlings. Nonetheless, their location is known and detectable with
the right instruments. Our sources have learned that Syria was paid about
$35 million to make Saddam Hussein s forbidden weapons disappear.

Before US secretary of state Colin Powell arrived in Damascus on Saturday,
May 3, the Syrians made the placatory gesture to Washington of speeding and
upgrading the handover of Iraqi fugitives from the Saddam regime sheltering
in Syria

DEBKA-Net-Weekly has learned from its most exclusive sources that on Monday,
April 28, Dr. RihabTaha, a microbiologist known as Dr. Germ, was turned over
to the Americans in Iraq. She had directed Iraq s biological weapons
program. Also turned over was Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash, who headed Iraq s
anthrax project. No announcement was made of their capture. However, the
surrender 24 hours later of Taha s husband, General Amir Muhammed Rasheed,
director of Iraq s missile development program and best known by his
nickname The Missile Man , was announced.

The United States is therefore fully apprised of the whereabouts of Saddam
Hussein s arsenal of unconventional weapons and has taken custody of the
scientists who developed them.

But DEBKA-Net-Weekly s sources say Washington was nevertheless far from
placated and Powell s meeting with the Syrian president Saturday was a
confrontation. The secretary of state laid down the following demands:

1. A map with the coordinates of the pits holding Iraq s weapons of mass
destruction.

2. Surrender of Saddam s most senior insiders who fled to Aleppo and
Latakiya. After DEBKA file blew the whistle on April 3, the group staying at
the Cote D Azur De Cham Resort in Latakia was whisked away leaving their
families comfortably ensconced there.

3. Handover of the two senior Al Qaeda members now in Damascus.
DEBKA-Net-Weekly s military and intelligence sources say their names and
whereabouts were uncovered by US intelligence units in Iraq.

4. An explanation of Syrian motives in allowing two British terrorists,
Assif Hanif, who blew himself up in Tel Aviv on April 30, and Omar Khan
Sharif, who ran away, to transit Damascus en route to Israel. (One of the
duo spent four months of preparation in the Syrian capital with the Hamas
operations officer and associate of Hizballah Imad al-Alami, as reported
exclusively by DEBKA file .)

5. An immediate stop to the military-terrorist activities of the Lebanese
Hizballah and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hamas in Syria and Lebanon.
Failure to do so, Powell explained, will result in a painful tightening of
economic pressure on Syria, after the loss of $1b in oil revenues from
Baghdad.

Powell suggested that Assad invite Abu Mazen, the new Palestinian prime
minister, to Damascus. This step would further underline Yasser Arafat s
state of isolation in view of his never having been received in Damascus. It
could lead to an invitation from the Bush administration to invite the
leaders of Syria, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq s new regime and the
Palestinians to a regional conference that would set the stage for Syrian
and Palestinian peace negotiations with Israel.

Powell told Assad bluntly to choose between confrontation and negotiations.

At the same time, DEBKA-Net-Weekly s Middle East experts stress that Powell
s stance was tough yet exploratory. The Bush administration is still in
option-weighing mode, pondering how best to proceed in the post Iraq war era
to achieve its two main objectives: One is to advance America s long-range
strategic goals in the Middle East. The second is to get Bush re-elected as
President in November 2004.

NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

Actions sometimes speak louder than words. You guys jumped all over Bush's
"saber rattling" prior to the March 9th invasion because you said it gave
Saddam too much time to conceal his WMD's. It seems that the Israeli's and
the US are slowly escalating the pressure on Assad militarily and
economically...but without the oratory.

Read (from janes.com):

Syria's fear

The Israeli military intelligence service, Aman, has informed the government
that the Syrian leader, President Bashar Al-Assad, has instructed his army
to get ready for an Israeli military attack.

He has also called for a resumption of peace talks with Israel. But Israel,
under the leadership of the hardline expansionist, Prime Minister Ariel
Sharon, does not take Assad's call for a resumption of negotiations
seriously, especially when Sharon apparently has no intentions whatsoever of
withdrawing from the Golan heights, which has artillery batteries within
firing range of Damascus, the Syrian capital.

In open provocation of Syria, Israel has been conducting air force flights
over Syrian airfields, barracks and other military interests, and has
attacked 'terrorist' targets within Syrian territory. On 5 October, Israeli
F-16 jets bombed an empty Palestinian training base near Damascus. It was
the first assault on Syrian soil in 30 years and the Syrians were stunned,
failed to retaliate and were mocked throughout the Arab world for letting
the Israelis humiliate them. In October, eight Israeli F-15's crossed the
international border with Lebanon, flew over Beirut and all the way over the
35,000 Syrian troops stationed in northern Lebanon.

"For several weeks now, Israel has been provoking and humiliating Damascus,"
wrote Brigadier-General Shlomo Gazit, a former head of Israeli military
intelligence, in the Israeli newspaper Yedioth Aharonot. "Whoever flies at
supersonic speed over the Syrian presidential palace humiliates the
sovereign and proud leader of a neighbouring country. Whoever boasts in
public of doing so adds insult to injury."

An Israeli military intelligence report indicates that Syria is convinced
that Sharon is determined to attack Syria for domestic political reasons,
and that he believes he has backing from the pro-Israeli Bush
administration.

Last month, both houses of US Congress passed the 'Syria Accountability Act'
with an overwhelming majority in favour of imposing sanctions on the Syrian
government, citing its support of suicide bombers and other terrorists among
its justifications. This appears to have encouraged Sharon further along the
path to escalating conflict and undermined any further possibility of
dialogue between Syria and the USA.

NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

Open your eyes man! And your mind...

Report: Syria aiming VX missiles at Israel
Defense source says at least 100 chemical warheads deployed

----
8:50 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Syria is aiming at least 100 long-range ballistic missiles equipped with
VX - the most lethal nerve gas - at central Israel, according to a senior
Israeli defense source.

Damascus now has achieved its goal of balancing Israel's nuclear advantage,
said the source, quoted by Jane's Foreign Report this week.

U.S. and Israeli intelligence sources have said they believe Syria hid
evidence of Saddam Hussein's deployment of weapons of mass destruction among
its own arsenal of unconventional weapons.

In April, the Defense Department said Syria had conducted a series of
chemical-weapons tests to exploit the transfer of Iraqi expertise.

A captured Iraqi scientist who worked in Iraq's chemical weapons program for
more than a decade said Iraq had secretly sent unconventional weapons and
technology to Syria since the mid-1990s, the New York Times reported in
April.

In May, Jane's Intelligence Digest said Syria's scientific expertise made
the existence of a biological weapons program entirely plausible.

German and Israeli sources, according to Jane's, have asserted Syria
possesses and can weaponize anthrax, botulinum toxin and the toxin ricin.

In 1973, Syria allegedly received assistance and chemical agents from Egypt
and had the capability to produce and weaponize sarin and VX nerve agents by
1986, as well as mustard blister agents.

Syria also was believed to have received considerable help with its delivery
systems from the former Soviet Union.

The Israeli daily Ha'aretz said the U.S. believes Syrian President Bashar
Assad is having difficulty controlling the advisers of his late father,
former president Hafez Assad.

Bashar Assad has promised U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell he would get
Syria removed from the U.S. list of states supporting terror. But the senior
aides, who had little influence while the elder Assad was alive, are
exploiting the younger Assad's inexperience, Ha'aretz reported. Their
hardline is preventing any effort to stop the flow of weapons and money to
terrorists in south Lebanon.

NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

You're in denial:

Iraqi WMD 'possibly in Syria'
31/03/2003 16:33 - (SA)

Jerusalem - Iraqi chemical and biological weapons may be hidden in Syria, a
senior Israeli intelligence officer told a parliamentary committee here on
Monday, Israeli public radio said.

"It is possible Iraq transferred missiles and weapons of mass destruction
into Syria," General Yossi Kupperwasser told the committee.

He said the transfer could be one explanation as to why US-led forces
scouring suspect sites in western Iraq had found nothing so far, the radio
said.

His remarks came as US Secretary of State Colin Powell warned both Syria and
Iran to stop what he called their backing for terrorists.

States warned to steer clear of war

Last Friday US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warned the two Arab states
to steer clear of the Iraq war, saying that military supplies crossing from
Syria were a "hostile act".

Rumsfeld said that equipment including night vision goggles had passed
through Syria and that Tehran-backed Iraqi rebels had been seen crossing the
border from Iraq.

In December, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon said he had information
that Iraq had transferred weapons of mass destruction to Syria.

"There is information we are verifying. But we are certain that Iraq has
recently moved chemical or biological weapons into Syria," he said.

"Saddam Hussein wanted to hide his weapons, and I think that the Americans
know that," said the Israeli leader, who strongly backs the US-led campaign
to topple the Iraqi leader's regime over its alleged weapons of mass
destruction programmes.

NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

LA Times
December 30, 2003

THE WEAPONS FILES
Banned Arms Flowed Into Iraq Through Syrian Firm
Files found in Baghdad describe deals violating U.N. sanctions and offer a
glimpse into the murky world of weapons smuggling and the ties between
'rogue states.'

By Bob Drogin and Jeffrey Fleishman, Times Staff Writers

DAMASCUS, Syria - A Syrian trading company with close ties to the ruling
regime smuggled weapons and military hardware to Saddam Hussein between 2000
and 2003, helping Syria become the main channel for illicit arms transfers
to Iraq despite a stringent U.N. embargo, documents recovered in Iraq show.

The private company, called SES International Corp., is headed by a cousin
of Syria's autocratic leader, Bashar Assad, and is controlled by other
members of Assad's Baath Party and Alawite clan. Syria's government assisted
SES in importing at least one shipment destined for Iraq's military, the
Iraqi documents indicate, and Western intelligence reports allege that
senior Syrian officials were involved in other illicit transfers.

Iraqi records show that SES signed more than 50 contracts to supply tens of
millions of dollars' worth of arms and equipment to Iraq's military shortly
before the U.S.-led invasion in March. They reveal Iraq's increasingly
desperate search in at least a dozen countries for ballistic missiles,
antiaircraft missiles, artillery, spare parts for MIG fighter jets and
battle tanks, gunpowder, radar systems, nerve agent antidotes and more.

The Bush administration accused Damascus in March of sending night-vision
goggles and other military equipment into Iraq, but U.S. officials now say
the White House was unaware of the extent of the illicit weapons traffic.

Other gaps in Washington's efforts to stem the flow of black-market weapons
and missile technology to outlaw states emerged this month when Libya
revealed that it had procured medium-range missiles and prohibited nuclear
technology despite U.S. and U.N. sanctions.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry did not respond to numerous faxes and telephone
calls asking for clarification of SES's activities. SES also has not
responded to requests by The Times for an interview. In an e-mail Monday,
the company termed "false" any suggestion that it was involved in illicit
trade but did not address any of the specific cases.

The White House previously has accused Syria of sheltering fugitives from
the ousted Iraqi regime, of letting Islamic militants cross into Iraq to
attack coalition forces, and of refusing to release at least $250 million
that Hussein's regime stashed in Syrian banks.

Files from the Baghdad office of Al Bashair Trading Co., the largest of
Iraq's military procurement offices, provide no new evidence about chemical,
biological or nuclear weapons in Iraq. And not every contract for
conventional weapons was filled.

But the successful deals - such as the delivery of 1,000 heavy machine guns
and up to 20 million bullets for assault rifles - helped Baghdad's
ill-equipped army grow stronger before the war began in March. Some supplies
may now be aiding the insurgency against the U.S.-led occupation.

And the files reviewed by The Times - about 800 pages of signed contracts,
shipping manifests, export documents, bank deposits, minutes of meetings and
more - offer a rare glimpse into the murky world of international arms
smuggling and the ties between countries such as Syria and North Korea,
which the administration calls "rogue states," and the ousted Iraqi regime.
The documents illustrate the clandestine networks and complex deceptions
Iraq used to evade U.N. sanctions and scrutiny by U.S. intelligence. Those
include extensive use of front companies, sham contracts, phony export
licenses, kickbacks and money laundering schemes.

A three-month investigation by The Times has found:

.. A Polish company, Evax, signed four contracts with Iraq and successfully
shipped up to 380 surface-to-air Volga/SA-2 missile engines to Baghdad
through Syria. The last batch was delivered in December 2002, a month after
the U.N. Security Council warned Iraq that it faced "serious consequences"
if it continued to violate U.N. resolutions.

.. South Korea's Armitel Co. Ltd. shipped $8 million worth of sophisticated
telecommunications equipment for what Iraqi documents said was "air
defense." The company is now submitting bids to the U.S.-led occupation
authority for contracts to improve telephone and Internet service from
Baghdad to Basra.

.. Russia's Millenium Company Ltd. signed an $8.8-million contract in
September 2002 to supply mostly American-made communications and
surveillance gear to Iraq's intelligence service. The company's general
manager in Moscow later wrote to suggest "the preparation of a sham
contract" to deceive U.N. weapons inspectors, documents show.

.. Slovenia's STO Ravne company, then a state-owned entity, shipped 20 large
battle tank barrels identified as "steel tubes" to SES in February 2002. The
next month, Slovenia's Defense Ministry blocked the company from exporting
50 more tank barrels to Syria. Overall, STO Ravne's secret contract called
for delivering 175 tank barrels to Iraq.

.. Two North Korean officials met the head of Al Bashair at SES offices in
Damascus a month before the war to discuss Iraq's payment of $10 million for
"major components" for ballistic missiles. U.S. intelligence agencies were
unaware of the deal at the time, or of a meeting 10 months earlier in which
Iraqi officials authorized a $1.9-million down payment to Pyongyang through
SES.

.. Massachusetts-based Cambridge Technology Inc. sold four optical scanners,
which can be adapted to help divert laser-guided missiles, to a student in
Canada. He had the equipment shipped to Amman, Jordan, and told the company
he was donating it to a university whose name he now says he cannot
remember. Without the U.S. company's knowledge, the real buyer was the Iraqi
military.

Iraq's Al Bashair Trading Co. handled all those deals and scores of others.
Its English-speaking director-general, Munir A. Awad, fled to Syria during
the war and now is living there "under government protection," according to
an intelligence report in Washington.

Filling an entire floor of a dingy downtown Baghdad office building, Al
Bashair was the largest of 13 known companies, including an Iraqi
intelligence operation called M-19, that Hussein's military used to evade
the U.N. arms embargo and other sanctions, according to a confidential U.N.
report on Iraq's procurement networks.

Al Bashair had special status, however. Hussein personally ordered the
company to deal directly with foreign brokers and suppliers, the U.N. report
notes. It estimated the value of Al Bashair's sanctions-busting deals at
between $30 million and $1 billion a year in the 1990s. Al Bashair also
served another key role: It helped launder and hide vast sums of cash for
the Iraqi dictator and his closest aides.

Three Al Bashair contracts from 1993 to 1995, for example, indicated that
Iraq had purchased $410 million, $500 million and $1.2 billion worth of
sugar. U.N. inspectors found that most of the money was diverted to banks in
Panama, the Bahamas and Monaco.

"The deals for sugar were a way to get money out of Iraq," said a former
U.N. inspector who studied the scam. "They would pay $10,000 to a trade
company for $100 of sugar. And the rest of the money went into offshore
accounts."

The U.N. Security Council imposed comprehensive sanctions after Iraq invaded
Kuwait in 1990. They included a full arms embargo, a trade ban and a freeze
on Iraq's assets and financial dealings abroad. As a result, Iraq's regime
became increasingly dependent on smuggling - and arms smugglers became
increasingly creative at evading the sanctions.

When they returned to Iraq in late November 2002 after four years' absence,
U.N. weapons inspectors thus focused on smuggling in their search for
evidence of proscribed missiles and chemical, biological or nuclear weapons.

"We went one by one to every single [military] company we knew of in Iraq,"
said a senior U.N. inspector, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "Al
Bashair was target No. 1 on that list."

On March 2, 30 inspectors from the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency
arrived without notice to check reports that Al Bashair had put public
tenders out on the Internet to buy high-strength aluminum tubes. The CIA had
insisted the tubes could be used to enrich uranium for nuclear weapons.

IAEA experts, customs experts, computer specialists and others locked the
doors, unplugged phones and grilled Munir, the company's director, in his
office. Before leaving, they copied 4,000 documents and downloaded data from
office computers. They found no signs of nuclear-related procurement.

Five days later, a team from the U.N. Monitoring, Verification and
Inspection Commission, the chief U.N. weapons hunting group, launched
another surprise raid to check intelligence that Al Bashair had helped
Hussein acquire mobile biological laboratories to churn out germ weapons.
Again, they found no evidence.

The war began less than two weeks later. Days after U.S. troops entered
Baghdad in April, Christoph Reuter, an investigative reporter for the German
newsmagazine Stern, removed selected files from the abandoned Al Bashair
office. He later provided the records and cooperated with The Times, which
had the documents translated from Arabic and verified their contents with
interviews in more than a dozen countries.

The Iraqi weapons files provide the first public evidence of Syria's
extensive arms trade with Hussein's regime.

Most of Iraq's known arms smuggling schemes in the 1990s went through
Jordan. Many involved "one man, one fax" offices set up by Iraqi agents or
local businessmen for a specific deal. By 1998, U.N. inspectors had
identified 146 Jordanian companies operating as fronts for Iraq.

Heavy pressure from Washington and other capitals finally forced Jordan's
government to crack down.

Neighboring Syria, in contrast, had fought with the U.S.-led coalition
against Iraq in the 1991 Persian Gulf War, and had no known role supporting
Iraq in the 1990s. Neither SES nor any other Syrian company is listed in
confidential U.N. records that identify more than 350 companies from 43
nations that U.N. inspectors suspect helped supply prohibited unconventional
weapons materiel to Iraq prior to 1998.

But the crippling of Iraq's smuggling rings in Jordan coincided with a
dramatic change in Syria. The country's strongman, Hafez Assad, had been a
bitter rival of Hussein for most of his three-decade reign. But the Damascus
dictator died in June 2000 and his son, Bashar Assad, assumed power. Syria's
long-frozen relations with Iraq soon began to thaw.

In November 2000, a newly repaired pipeline from Basra in southern Iraq
began carrying 150,000 to 200,000 barrels a day of discounted oil to Syria.
Another pipeline to Syria from northern Iraq opened in 2002 to carry another
60,000 barrels a day.

The flow was outside the U.N.-run "oil for food" program, which allowed Iraq
to export oil to buy food, medicine and humanitarian items. Experts say
Syria kept the contraband Iraqi oil for domestic use, sold its own oil at
higher prices on world markets and pocketed profits of up to $1 billion a
year.

In return, diplomats and intelligence experts say, Baghdad got easy access
to weapons and so many smuggled goods that it opened a trade office in
Tartus, Syria's chief port. Baghdad also got access to the outside world:
Iraqi officials, often holding counterfeit passports, increasingly used the
airport in Damascus to fly abroad.

"Syria became the most important ally for Iraq in the region, and helped it
come out of its global isolation," said a Washington-based diplomat.
"Damascus became the gateway for Iraq."

Experts say money may have mattered more than politics in the new alliance.

"It was purely a matter of opportunity" for Syria, said an intelligence
official in the region. "I don't think empathy for Iraq came into it. It was
like, 'This is going to make me lots of money and I don't mind if it hurts
the Americans a little bit either.' "

Among those who prospered was SES International Corp., a conglomerate of
nine aviation, construction, oil, car and other divisions based in an
ndustrial area on the northeast outskirts of Damascus.

SES was founded in 1980. According to company documents, it has about $80
million in annual revenue and 5,000 employees. It is run by a small group of
businessmen and other powerful figures with family or clan ties to the Assad
regime.

Prominent among them is the president's cousin Asef Isa Shaleesh, the
general manager of SES. He is the son of the late dictator's half sister.
Another relative, Maj. Gen. Dhu Himma Shaleesh, heads the elite security
corps that protects the president. He recently told Western diplomats that
he had sold his stake in SES, but they were unable to confirm his claim.

Records reviewed by The Times show Asef Isa Shaleesh, the SES manager, made
at least four trips to the Al Bashair offices in Baghdad between September
2001 and August 2002 to sign or update more than 50 SES contracts to supply
Iraq's military.

Contract #23/A/2001, for example, was for SES delivery to Iraq of
Russian-designed heavy machine guns.

"The Iraqis have confirmed their reception of 1,000 pieces, according to the
contract," meeting notes from Nov. 11, 2001 read. "The Iraqi side is in the
process of paying the Syrians for a second delivery of 500 pieces of
Machines Gun BKC."

Syria's Foreign Ministry helped SES at least once, according to minutes of
meetings between Asef Isa Shaleesh and Munir, the Al Bashair director, on
April 7-8, 2002.

Four precision metal lathes from HMT Machines International Ltd. in
Bangalore, India, had "arrived in Baghdad," the notes said, but customs
officials in Malta had seized others destined for Iraq. Documents show that
Syria was listed as the final destination, and do not indicate that HMT knew
the lathes were headed for Iraq's military. It's unclear what Syria's
government knew.

But meeting notes said SES contacted the Syrian Ministry of Industry to
intervene with Maltese authorities to release the lathes. "The reply was
given by the Foreign Ministry of Syria to authorities in Malta saying the
machines belonged to the Syrian company SES," the notes said.

The Syrian regime came up again later in the same set of meetings. "The
Iraqi side requests the Syrian side to accelerate getting the approval for
the visit of two Iraq experts to enter Syria for the purpose of learning
about Kornet antitank missiles from Russia, which are available with the
Syrian Ministry of Defense," the notes read.

The documents do not indicate whether Syria approved the request. But a
Russian company, KBP Tula, had sold 1,000 portable, laser-guided Kornet
missiles to Syria.

The Clinton administration imposed sanctions against the company in 1999
under a statute that bars weapons sales to Syria and other nations that the
State Department lists as state sponsors of terrorism.

"Russia's foreign minister called the grounds for imposing the sanctions
farfetched back then," said Leonid B. Roshal, deputy director of KBP Tula,
in an interview in Moscow. "I was never taught these diplomatic niceties, so
I was much more straightforward and said, 'The dog may bark, but the caravan
will proceed.' "

Reached by telephone, Asef Isa Shaleesh, the general manager of SES,
initially invited a Times reporter visiting Damascus to his office for an
interview the next day. But an aide said the next day that Shaleesh "had
unexpectedly gone to Romania" and later went to Russia. He has not replied
since to numerous telephone calls, e-mails and faxes.

Western intelligence had traced some of the SES deals by mid-2002, two years
after they began, With reports indicating illicit transfers into Iraq, the
U.S. Embassy complained to the government in Damascus that summer. Assad
replied that Syria would not violate U.N. sanctions.

"The president said, 'If you know of any cases, tell us,' " a Western
official recalled. When evidence was provided, he added, "the Syrians would
allege that that's been stopped."

No evidence has surfaced to show that Assad approved the SES deals with
Iraq. But "sanctions-busting at this level would have been hard to keep from
the president," a Western intelligence official said. An official from
another government agreed. "We think it very unlikely that Bashar was not
aware of this," he said.

He noted that two North Koreans flew to SES headquarters in Damascus in
February 2003, a month before the war, to meet Munir, the director of Al
Bashair.

"A North Korean is not a tourist," the official said. "Either Syria gave
direct approval. Or it turned a blind eye."

IAEA inspectors reconstructed a report of the meeting from an erased
computer hard drive that they had downloaded at Al Bashair in March. The
sit-down at SES apparently focused on Pyongyang's inability to deliver $10
million of sophisticated ballistic missile technology - and its flat refusal
to return the $10 million.

"The North Koreans said, 'It's too hot to refund your money,' " an official
familiar with the report said.

The Times also reviewed a report on another meeting with the North Koreans
ten months earlier. On April 8, 2002, Al Bashair approved payment of
$1,975,517 to SES "as down payment in favor of the North Korean side. Ten
percent of the sum is deducted for the Syrian side."

U.S. intelligence was unaware until this fall of North Korea's deal with
Iraq. In the end, Iraq got neither the missiles nor its refund.

Western intelligence reports allege that several Syrian officials or their
adult children were involved in shipments of tank engines, treads for
armored personnel carriers, fuel pumps for missiles and other military
equipment to Iraq.

One Syrian named in an intelligence report as a "key player" is Firas Tlass,
head of MAS Economic Group, a business conglomerate based in Damascus. In an
interview, Tlass said his companies had shipped textiles, computers and
steel bars to Iraq since the late 1990s. But he said Israeli intelligence
had spread false reports that he also sold weapons.

"I'm the son of the Syrian defense minister and we're Israel's enemy and
they want to discredit the Syrian government and my father," Tlass said.
"The only offer my company ever made to the Iraqi military was camouflage
field jackets and they turned us down."

Syria's arms trade hit the headlines in March this year when Defense
Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld publicly accused Damascus of smuggling
night-vision goggles and other military supplies to Iraq. He said Washington
viewed "such trafficking as hostile acts and would hold the Syrian
government accountable."

Syria's foreign minister called the charge "unfounded" and "an attempt to
cover up what his forces have been committing against civilians in Iraq."

Damascus has sought to repair relations. Washington has praised Syria's
assistance in rounding up suspected members of Al Qaeda since the Sept. 11
attacks. But President Bush signed a bill Dec. 12 barring export of military
and dual-use items - equipment that could have civilian and military uses -
to Syria until the White House certifies that Damascus has withdrawn troops
from Lebanon, has cut support for Hamas and other terrorist groups, has
stopped proscribed missile and chemical and biological weapons programs, and
has acted to prevent militants from entering Iraq to attack coalition
forces.

In contrast, the companies that knew the weapons and other sensitive
supplies they sold to SES actually were destined for Iraq - a clear
violation of U.N. sanctions - have faced little pressure. South Korea's
Armitel Co. Ltd. is an example.

A 1998 spinoff from giant Samsung Electronics, Armitel develops and
manufactures digital microwave systems for wireless communications. It is
based in a high-tech industrial complex south of Seoul.

Armitel had signed contracts in 2001 and 2002 with SES totaling $23,431,487,
the Iraqi files said.

On April 7, 2002, for example, Armitel's chairman inked a $1,859,862.18
contract with SES for "optical transmission, channel bank and auxiliary
items."

But records labeled "secret" in the Al Bashair files show the Armitel
equipment was "connected with the supply of air defense" and that the real
buyer was the Salahaddin Co., based in northern Iraq, which was trying to
develop a radar system to detect U.S. stealth bombers.

In an interview, Lee Dae Young, the 50-year-old chairman of Armitel, said he
knew his equipment was headed to Iraq despite U.N. sanctions. But he said he
thought he was helping Baghdad upgrade telephone and Internet service.

"We sold Iraq an optical cable system," Lee said. "Actually, now that this
is over, I can tell you. We sold it to Syrians and they took it to Iraq."

Armitel had sent $8 million worth of equipment to Syria when U.S.
intelligence got wind of the shipments in mid-2002. After the U.S. Embassy
in Seoul complained, South Korea's Ministry of Commerce ordered Armitel to
stop further shipments. An investigation was begun but Armitel was not
charged. The company recently submitted proposals to the U.S.-controlled
Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad for contracts to build a
telecommunications network from Baghdad to Basra.

Another supplier to Iraq's military was Slovenia's RTO Ravne. The
state-owned company, then an arms manufacturer, agreed in the fall of 2001
to supply 175 tank barrels - called "steel tubes" in the documents - to the
Saddam Co. near Fallouja, one of Iraq's largest producers of artillery,
armored vehicles and other heavy military equipment. The $6.3-million deal
had a twist. On paper, the "tubes" went to the Al Heeti Co. in Jordan. In
reality, SES handled the deal.

On March 7, 2002, the fourth shipment of five tank barrels arrived at Tartus
from Slovenia aboard the Diane A, an Italian ship. Munir, the Al Bashair
chief in Baghdad, immediately sent an urgent letter to SES, asking the
Syrian company to "take the necessary steps to take over the container and
forward it to us as soon as possible."

Later that month, Slovenia's Ministry of Defense announced it had blocked
the export by RTO Ravne of 50 smoothbore barrels for the Syrian army's T-72
main battle tanks.

RTO Ravne has since been broken up and privatized. It's unclear how many of
the tank barrels ultimately got through to Iraq. Dusan Pahor, the STO Ravne
quality control manager whose signature appears on the specification
documents, declined to comment on the deal. His supervisor, who identified
himself as Mr. Studancik, confirmed the contracts for "tubes" were a sham.
"Yeah, yeah, it was tank barrels," he said. "That is correct."

Two Russian companies also had clandestine deals with SES as the war
approached. Moscow-based Millenium Co. Ltd. signed an $8.8-million contract
on Sept. 14, 2002 to provide radio frequency equipment, transmitters, mobile
eavesdropping systems and other surveillance gear to SES. The contract
specified that Millenium would supply equipment from such U.S. companies as
Hewlett Packard, Cisco Systems and MITEQ, as well companies in Germany,
Canada, France and Japan.

Al Bashair records show, however, that the Millenium representative in
Baghdad had met on July 25 with two "representatives of the Intelligence
Service" in order to "come to agreement on concluding the contract."

On Sept. 29, the general director of Millenium, an Iraqi exile named Hasam
Khalidi, signed a letter advising Al Bashair of the need to "consider the
preparation of a sham contract" to conceal the deal "in case other
authorities, including United Nations inspectors, want to see a copy of the
contract.. The services and materials to be delivered should look as for
civilian use so they will not attract attention of those authorities."

In an interview, Khalidi denied writing the letter, denied dealing with SES,
and denied that his company had done anything to evade or violate U.N.
sanctions. Khalidi argued instead that he had a legitimate business deal to
sell bugging equipment to Iraq's Interior Ministry.

"I didn't see anything immoral in it," he said.

"Someone in Iraq is going to be surprised about a monitoring system? I could
have stood up and said, 'Aren't you ashamed!' "

In the end, he said the war intervened and the deal collapsed. "Nothing ever
happened," he said. "It's a pity."

Al Bashair records also show that a Russian company called TsNIIM-Invest, an
offshoot of a state-run science center, signed several agreements with SES
between August and December 2001 to supply $1.7 million worth of large
"tubes" suitable for artillery and an "electro-chemical workshop" to the
Saddam Co. near Fallouja.

Valentin Petrovich Kuznetsov, the technical director of TsNIIM-Invest in
Moscow, declined an interview request.

"As for the tubes, I can tell you that this thing never materialized," he
said. "It just didn't happen. There was a lot of fuss about it. But nothing
was proven. That is all I can tell you now."

Iraqi officials also made 15 visits before the war to a Russian company
called Aviakonversiya. The Moscow-based company specializes in producing GPS
jammers, portable units that distort signals used by satellite-based
navigation systems. During the war, U.S. aircraft struck several sites where
the jammers' radio frequency was detected.

But Oleg Antonov, general director of Aviakonversiya, said the jammers
weren't his because the Iraqi delegations looked but never bought.

"Frankly, I would have had no qualms selling this stuff to Iraq," Antonov
said. "We wouldn't have sold this to them directly. We would have done it
the way everybody was doing it. We would have sold it to some third
country."

Antonov added that he would be "happy and proud" if he "knew for sure that
our equipment was used in Iraq and was a success there.. It would be the
best advertisement for our production."

No mention of WMD's in this article...but plenty of proof of pre-war
Syria/Iraq cooperation and illegal arms trading.

Attached Images
File Type: gif blackpix.gif (35 Bytes, 61 views)
NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

The wheels are in motion, Harry. Look at the events which just occurred in
the last month alone. Israel demonstrated its willingness to fly bombing
missions into the heart of Syria. Congress passed, and Bush signed the
Syria Accountabiltiy Act. Blair has ramped up pressure on Syria. Saddam
has been captured, and will likely give info on the WMD's in exchange for
his life. Libya made the step of openly dismantling its WMD's program...and
then called on Syria and Egypt to follow its lead. Mubarak just met with
Assad in Cairo...probably to discuss the ramifications of Syria turning over
the Iraqi WMD's. It's like a house of cards now...so you shouldn't have to
wait much longer.

NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

Another indication you won't have to wait too long:

Syria's Weapons of Mass Destruction and Missile Development Programs

John R. Bolton, Under Secretary for Arms Control and International
Security
Testimony Before the House International Relations Committee,
Subcommittee on the Middle East and Central Asia
Washington, DC
September 16, 2003

Thank you, Madame Chairwoman and members of the Committee, for the
opportunity to appear before you today to discuss Syria's weapons of mass
destruction and missile development programs. I understand that we will have
a brief open hearing now and a closed session later today.

Syria remains a security concern on two important counts: terrorism
and weapons of mass destruction. I will focus on the latter, although the
potential linkages are obvious. Specifically, our Coalition's operations in
Iraq showed that this Administration and the international community take
the link between terrorism and WMD [weapons of mass destruction] most
seriously. There is no graver threat to our country today than states that
both sponsor terrorism and possess or aspire to possess weapons of mass
destruction. Syria, which offers physical sanctuary and political protection
to groups such as Hizballah, HAMAS, and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, and whose
terrorist operations have killed hundreds of innocent people - including
Americans -- falls into this category of states of potential dual threat.
While there is currently no information indicating that the Syrian
Government has transferred WMD to terrorist organizations or would permit
such groups to acquire them, Syria's ties to numerous terrorist groups
underlie the reasons for our continued anxiety.

Without question, among rogue states, those most aggressively seeking
to acquire or develop WMD and their means of delivery, and which are
therefore threats to our national security, are Iran and North Korea,
followed by Libya and Syria. It is also the case that these states are among
those we identify as state sponsors of terrorism. We aim not just to prevent
the spread of WMD, but also to "roll back" and ultimately eliminate such
weapons from the arsenals of rogue states and ensure that the terrorist
groups they sponsor do not acquire weapons of mass destruction. As President
Bush has said repeatedly, we will stress peaceful and diplomatic solutions
to the proliferation threat. However, in order to roll back proliferation
and protect innocent American citizens, as well as our friends and allies,
we must allow ourselves the option to use every tool in our nonproliferation
toolbox.

Obviously, many of you share these concerns. Members of this committee
have sponsored the Syria Accountability Act, which would impose restrictions
on the export of U.S. goods to Syria, as well as other measures. However, we
already possess a broad mandate to sanction countries like Syria for
proliferation activities under Executive Order 12938. This Executive Order,
promulgated in 1994, requires the imposition of sanctions against foreign
countries that have used chemical or biological weapons in violation of
international law or have developed, produced, stockpiled or otherwise
acquired chemical or biological weapons in violation of international law.
The Executive Order requires denial of foreign assistance; denial of credit
or financial assistance from U.S. Government agencies; U.S. opposition to
multilateral development bank assistance; denial of defense exports and
national security-sensitive exports; restrictions on imports into the U.S.;
and a termination of aircraft landing rights. Many of these same penalties
are duplicated in the proposed Syria Accountability Act.

Additionally, Section 4 of E.O. 12938, as amended in 1998, authorizes
penalties against entities that have "materially contributed or attempted to
contribute materially to the efforts of any foreign country, project, or
entity of proliferation concern to use, acquire, design, develop, produce,
or stockpile weapons of mass destruction or missiles capable of delivering
such weapons." Penalties can include a ban on imports into the U.S. of
goods, technology, or services produced by the sanctioned entity; a ban on
U.S. procurement from these entities; and a ban on U.S. assistance. In
addition, we have frequently augmented these penalties with a ban on defense
exports to the entity in question.

The standard for acts triggering these measures under the Executive
Order is very broad, and gives the decision-maker wide scope in punishing
entities that choose to engage in proliferant behavior. Just in this year,
we have imposed E.O. 12938 sanctions five times, including on the Chinese
entity, North China Industries Corporation (NORINCO), and the Iranian
entity, Shahid Hemmat Industrial Group. This Administration views sanctions
as a useful tool for furthering our nonproliferation objectives and is
determined to enforce existing sanctions laws to the fullest extent. The
existing sanctions laws and the Executive Order, when properly applied, give
the Administration the authority and flexibility to use sanctions to deter
proliferation activity by rogue states and serial proliferators. Since I
began serving in my present position, I have insisted on using the mandatory
sanctions laws in the manner Congress intended.

Nonproliferation standards are all too often ignored and flagrantly
violated by governments that view WMD as a means of enhancing their security
and international influence. Many of these governments are resistant to
conventional diplomatic dialogue. While we pursue the diplomatic track
whenever possible, the United States and its allies must be willing to
deploy more robust techniques, such as economic sanctions, as well as
interdiction and seizure, or other means. The pursuit of WMD and ballistic
missile delivery systems, especially by state sponsors of terrorism, must be
neither cost free nor successful. Proliferators - and especially states
still deliberating whether to seek WMD -- must understand that they will pay
a steep price for their efforts. In short, if the language of persuasion
fails, these states must see and feel the logic of adverse consequences.
Moreover, adverse consequences must not only fall on the states aspiring to
possess these weapons, but also on the states supplying them.

In situations where we cannot convince a state to stop proliferant
behavior, we also have the option of interdicting shipments to ensure the
technology does not fall in to the wrong hands. These interdiction efforts
are key to a comprehensive nonproliferation strategy. Interdiction involves
identifying an imminent shipment or transfer and working to impede the
shipment. As the President noted in his National Strategy to Combat Weapons
of Mass Destruction, we must enhance the capabilities of our military,
intelligence, technical, and law enforcement communities to prevent the
movement of WMD materials, technology, and expertise to hostile states and
terrorist organizations.

On May 31, President Bush announced the Proliferation Security
Initiative (PSI), a global multilateral arrangement to seize sensitive
cargoes that may be in transit to and from states and non-state actors of
proliferation concern. Since then, we have been working with ten other
countries - Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands,
Poland, Portugal, Spain, and the UK - to develop a set of "principles" that
identify practical steps necessary to interdict shipments of weapons of mass
destruction, their delivery systems, and related materials at sea, in the
air, or on land. The eleven countries met in Madrid in June, and in Brisbane
in July. On September 4 in Paris, we reached agreement and announced a
Statement of Interdiction Principles. This represents the shared political
commitment of these countries to strengthen efforts to combat the
proliferation threat. The United States welcomes support for the PSI
Principles of all states that share our concerns about proliferation and our
resolve to take new and active measures to defeat this threat. Proliferators
are using increasingly sophisticated and aggressive measures to defeat
export controls and obtain technologies for their WMD or missile programs;
we need to enhance our ability to prevent them from making these
acquisitions. There exists a wide-spread consensus that this menace,
together with terrorism, constitutes the greatest challenge to international
security generally and to our national security in particular.

It is important to stress that all interdiction activities conducted
by PSI partners will be consistent with relevant national and international
authorities. Importanly, substantial national and international authorities
for interdiction already exist. In the event that a proliferator succeeds in
circumventing export controls and a shipment of WMD or missile-related
technology is discovered to be en route, PSI participants will explore how
best to use the full range of counterproliferation tools -- from diplomatic,
to intelligence, to operational -- to stop proliferation at sea, in the air,
and on land. Properly planned and executed, interception of critical
technologies while en route can prevent hostile states and non-state actors
from acquiring these dangerous capabilities. At a minimum, interdiction can
lengthen the time that proliferators will need to acquire new weapons
capabilities, increase the cost, and demonstrate our resolve to combat
proliferation.

The Paris meeting also continued work on the modalities for
interdiction, in particular effective information sharing and operational
capabilities for interdictions. Efforts to enhance our collective
operational capabilities for action are essential. In support of this goal,
PSI participants have agreed on a series of ten sea, air, and ground
interdiction training exercises to occur into 2004. Australia just organized
and executed one such exercise a few days ago in the Coral Sea, called
"Pacific Protector," that involved both military and law enforcement assets.
Four PSI partners, including the United States, sent vessels to the
exercise, and all PSI partners were involved in some capacity.

Our long-term objective with the Proliferation Security Initiative is
to create a web of counterproliferation partnerships that will impede trade
in WMD, delivery systems, and related materials. To do so, we seek
eventually to broaden participation in the PSI to include all like-minded
countries that want to cooperate and can contribute actively to interdiction
efforts. WMD and missile proliferation is a global problem that requires a
global effort, and this initiative is not directed at any one country or
region. It is global in scope. A robust interdiction effort requires
cooperation with all like-minded countries - those who are leaders in
nonproliferation as well as those who may have a direct relationship with
proliferation activities. We want to ensure that countries make full use of
their capabilities and authorities to interdict shipments. By working
together, the combined sum of our efforts will be greater than the
individual parts. I am encouraged by our progress on the PSI, and know that
the PSI will be an important tool that we can use to counter the efforts of
countries such as Syria that are often dependent on foreign suppliers in
their quest to possess WMD.

Before I address the specifics of Syria's WMD programs, let me first
discuss press reports that Iraq covertly transferred weapons of mass
destruction to Syria in an attempt to hide them from UN inspectors and
Coalition forces. We have seen these reports, reviewed them carefully, and
see them as cause for concern. Thus far, we have been unable to confirm that
such transfers occurred. We are continuing with the full breadth of
resources at our command to seek conclusive evidence that any such transfer
has taken place. We have raised with the Syrians on numerous occasions, even
before military action against Iraq, the seriousness with which we would
view any transfer of Iraqi dual-use or military related items into Syria.

We have seen Syria take a series of hostile actions toward Coalition
forces in Iraq. Syria allowed military equipment to flow into Iraq on the
eve of and during the war. Syria permitted volunteers to pass into Iraq to
attack and kill our service members during the war, and is still doing so.
Syria continues to provide safe haven and political cover to Hizballah in
Lebanon, which has killed hundreds of Americans in the past. Statements from
many of Syria's public officials during this time vilified the Coalition's
motives in seeking to overthrow Saddam Hussein. Indeed, the United States
portrayed as an enemy is a consistent theme found in newspapers and public
statements in Syria as it is in other states in the region. Although
Damascus has increased its cooperation regarding Iraq since the fall of the
Iraqi regime, its behavior during Operation Iraqi Freedom underscores the
importance of taking seriously reports and information on Syria's WMD
capabilities.

Nuclear
As I informed Congress last fall, we are concerned about Syria's
nuclear R&D program and continue to watch for any signs of nuclear weapons
activity or foreign assistance that could facilitate a Syrian nuclear
weapons capability. We are aware of Syrian efforts to acquire dual-use
technologies-some, through the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Technical Cooperation program-that could be applied to a nuclear weapons
program. In addition, Russia and Syria have approved a draft program on
cooperation on civil nuclear power. Broader access to Russian expertise
could provide opportunities for Syria to expand its indigenous capabilities,
should it decide to pursue nuclear weapons. The Syrians have a
Chinese-supplied "miniature" research reactor under IAEA safeguards at Dayr
Al Hajar.

Syria is a party to the Non-Proliferation Treaty, and has a standard
safeguards agreement with the IAEA but, like Iran, has not yet signed or, to
our knowledge, even begun negotiations on the IAEA Additional Protocol. The
Additional Protocol is an important tool that, if fully implemented, could
strengthen the IAEA's investigative powers to verify compliance with NPT
safeguards obligations and provides the IAEA with the ability to act quickly
on any indicators of undeclared nuclear materials, facilities and
activities. We believe the Additional Protocol should be a new minimal
standard for countries to demonstrate their nonproliferation bona fides.

Chemical
Since the 1970s Syria has pursued what is now one of the most advanced
Arab state chemical weapons (CW) capabilities. It has a stockpile of the
nerve agent sarin that can be delivered by aircraft or ballistic missiles,
and has engaged in the research and development of more toxic and persistent
nerve agents such as VX.

Syria is fully committed to expanding and improving its CW program,
which it believes serves as a deterrent to regional adversaries. Syria
continues active chemical munitions testing, although it has not used
chemical agents in any conflicts. Although Syria is more self-sufficient
than most other third-world CW capable states, foreign assistance has been a
key element in the establishment and operation of Syria's CW program. In
particular, Syria remains heavily dependent on foreign sources for key
elements of its chemical warfare program, including precursor chemicals and
key production equipment. As a result Syria will need to continue foreign
procurement activities - something the PSI is designed to counter -- in
order to continue its CW program. Syria is not a party to the Chemical
Weapons Convention.

Biological
We believe that Syria is continuing to develop an offensive biological
weapons capability. Syria has signed, but not ratified, the Biological
Weapons Convention. These "poor man's nuclear weapons" do not require a
large production capability, and depending on the agent and dissemination
method, can be extremely lethal.

Missiles
Syria has a combined total of several hundred Scud and SS-21 SRBMs,
and is believed to have chemical warheads available for a portion of its
Scud missile force. Syria has also developed a longer-range missile -- the
Scud D -- with assistance from North Korea. Syria's missiles are mobile and
can reach much of Israel from positions near their peacetime garrisons and
portions of Iraq, Jordan, and Turkey from launch sites well within the
country. Damascus is pursuing both solid- and liquid-propellant missile
programs and relies extensively on foreign assistance in these endeavors.
North Korean and Iranian entities have been most prominent in aiding Syria's
recent ballistic missile development. Syrian regional concerns may lead
Damascus to seek a longer range ballistic missile capability such as North
Korea's No Dong MRBM.

Advanced Conventional Weapons
Damascus has sought to acquire Russian SA-10 and SA-11 air defense
systems, MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters, and T-80 or T-90 main battle tanks, as
well as upgrades for the aircraft, armored weapons, or air defense systems
already in its inventory. But its inability to fund large purchases and its
outstanding debt to Russia have curbed substantial upgrades and
acquisitions.

Conclusion
Of course, I will have much more to say on all of these subjects
during the closed hearing and I look forward to a more specific and detailed
discussion than we can have in an open hearing. As we all recognize, the
importance of protecting and preserving vital intelligence sources and
methods necessarily and properly restricts what we can say publicly.
Nonetheless, the conduct of national security requires that we take all
available information into account, which I believe we will be able to do in
a classified session.

When the world witnessed the destructive potential of terrorism on
September 11, we were reminded of the need to remain steadfast in
recognizing emerging threats to our security. In Syria we see expanding WMD
capabilities and continued state sponsorship of terrorism. As the President
has said, we cannot allow the world's most dangerous weapons to fall into
the hands of the world's most dangerous regimes, and will work tirelessly to
ensure this is not the case for Syria.

"Without question, among rogue states, those most aggressively seeking to
acquire or develop WMD and their means of delivery, and which are therefore
threats to our national security, are Iran and North Korea, followed by
Libya and Syria."

Libya and Syria are the easier targets. Gadhafi already caved. Syria will
cave very shortly. Iran is showing signs of bending, but are emboldened by
Russia's unwillingness to suspend nuke support to them. North Korea is the
final piece of the puzzle. We'll practice containment without direct
provocation until the other three are dealt with. I suspect we already
struck a deal with China over the Taiwan issue which will lead them to help
us with the N. Korean problem.

NOYB

Backyard Renegade wrote:

[...]

Now, Syria is in Washington's sights for alleged weapons programme

DAMASCUS (AFP) Dec 21, 2003
With Libya's renunciation of weapons of mass destruction and Iran's
acceptance of tough new inspections of its nuclear programme, Syria finds
itself more than ever in Washington's sights for its own alleged weapons
programme.
Since the fall of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein in April, the United States
has been honing in on the regime of President Bashar al-Assad, putting
pressure on Syria to fall into line with the new regional order created by
the war in Iraq and the presence of some 135,000 US troops in Syria's
eastern neighbour.

Even by Washington's admission, Damascus has cooperated in the US-led war on
terror by helping to hunt down members of Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda
network.

And Damascus was praised last month by Britain -- the United States'
staunchest ally in the war on terror -- when it extradited to Turkey
suspects in a series of attacks in Istanbul in which 67 people died.

But the US still accuses Syria of backing anti-Israeli militant groups,
notably the Lebanon-based Hezbollah and Palestinian movements Hamas and
Islamic Jihad, and last week threatened Damascus with sanctions.

On December 12, US President George Bush signed a law providing for economic
and diplomatic sanctions to punish Syria for what the United States said
were its ties to terrorists, tacit support for anti-US insurgents in Iraq
and efforts to obtain weapons of mass destruction.

It also calls on the governments of Lebanon and Syria to "enter into serious
unconditional bilateral negotiations" with Israel to secure "a full and
permanent peace."

Bush will decide if and when the sanctions are to be applied.

Washington has accused Damascus of turning a blind eye to anti-US fighters
who cross into Iraq via the porous, 600-kilometre (360-mile) border
separating the two neighbours.

But the Western diplomat in Damascus wondered out loud if Washington's real
gripe with Syria wasn't over its alleged development of weapons of mass
destruction.

The US has accused Damascus of having chemical weapons and trying to obtain
biological weapons.

"It all depends on how significant the Americans perceive that problem to
be," the diplomat said.

In Arab diplomatic circles, the general feeling is that Damascus wants to
resolve its differences with Washington through dialogue, while taking care
to "safeguard its national integrity and not appear to be kowtowing to
Washington."

On an official visit to Athens last week, Assad said he was optimistic that
friction with Washington over the sanctions would not last.

"This concerns (the US) Congress... There must be a dialogue. We are
optimistic and dialogue with the US never stopped," he said.

Early this month, the New York Times quoted Assad as saying that he wanted
to resume negotiations with Israel on the Golan Heights, occupied by Israel
since 1967.

If those talks come about and the two sides reach agreement, they could
herald the normalisation of relations between Syria and Israel, the New York
Times quoted Assad as saying.

"The term 'normalisation' sets no limits: it means relations equivalent to
those which exist between Syria and the United States," the Syrian president
was reported as saying.

Arab diplomats point out that the US also appears to be in favour of going
down the diplomatic route, having appointed Margaret Scobey as Washington's
new ambassador in Damascus "at the same time" as Bush was ratifying the
sanctions against Syria.