BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT Repubs against Fancy Book Learnin' (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/25092-ot-repubs-against-fancy-book-learnin.html)

basskisser November 12th 04 03:11 PM

OT Repubs against Fancy Book Learnin'

Down With Fancy Book Learnin'
What's it mean that the big cities and college towns of America all
voted blue?
By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, November 12, 2004

Printable Version
Email This Article

Mark Morford
Archives
Subscribe to Notes & Errata
Who is this guy?

Down With Fancy Book Learnin' - What's it mean that the big citi...
11/12/2004
We Are All Dubya's Doormat - News flash for ordinary Repubs and ...
11/10/2004

Hello, Uranus? Got Any Room? - Must. Move. Away. Cannot endure m...
11/05/2004

Wallow In Chaos, And Laugh - A pro-Bush outcome and one enormous...
11/03/2004

Get Out And Vote And Scream - Now that we're all completely frie...
10/29/2004

Is this why everything's so mangled? Is this why we're so divided?
Is this why we're so damned confused and bothered and itchy and
wondering why we are ever at each others' throats and ever snickering
in each others' direction and ever sighing heavily and wishing we
could somehow have a magic glimpse into the year 2104 to see how the
hell we survive it all?

Because there remains this astonishing and yet ever present fact: all
the major cities of America, the great cultural centers and the places
with the most concentrated populations and the most extraordinary
restaurants and the highest percentage of college graduates and the
most progressive laws and the truest sense of the arts and food and
sex and music and dance and money and technology and lubricant and
drugs and porn and love and fashion and spirituality, well, it seems
they all voted blue.

True. From terrorism-ravaged New York to Botox-ravaged Los Angeles,
Chicago to San Francisco, Philly to Portland, Seattle and Miami and
Boston and Minneapolis and Detroit -- blue as the sky, blue as the
Danube, blue as the color of your soul-crushin' wine-slammin'
I-need-a-bath-and-an-emetic postelection melancholy.

And what's so frighteningly cute in a slit-your-karmic-wrists sort of
way about this whole election thing is how astoundingly vicious and
ingrained and apparent the Great American Culture War has become, has
evolved, has mutated and grown and smiled and is right now eating us
alive and belching out a great cloud of regressive, conformist
exhaust.

The stats bear it out. One look at this astounding 3-D map used by CBS
News the day after the election (a.k.a.: "Black Wednesday") and you
can see how the various cities and towns of America voted and you sit
there and go oh my freaking God wouldja look at that, it's not blue
state versus red state after all, but more like blue urban versus red
rural, skyscraper versus church house, Chez Panisse versus Denny's.

That is to say, it's all about population density, cultural hub, all
about the much-touted "redneck revenge" on the "liberal elite" for
unleashing, I suppose, small European cars and artisan cheese and
"Queer Eye" and "The West Wing" on them without their express written
consent. It is, in short, all about Retro vs. Metro.

But wait, it wasn't just the big cities that went blue. It was also
the tiny progressive oases, the small but potent gay-friendly
intellectually curious America college towns -- almost anyplace,
really, that possesses an above-average university -- that are stuck
like glimmering gemstones in a sea of conservativism, that stick out
like sore thumbs, like beacons, like hot blue tongues from the very
mouth of regressive neocon red.

Kansas City and St. Louis and Iowa City, and Athens, Georgia, Austin,
Texas, Raleigh, North Carolina, Buffalo, New York, and Madison,
Wisconsin. All blue. All towns known to be relatively quirky and
progressive and safe and kid friendly and beautiful and all-American
and replete with big universities and mediocre Thai restaurants and
underground music scenes and healthy smatterings of gay culture and
lots of gul-dang book-learnin', and every single one of 'em seems to
be right in line with the big cities in understanding that Bush is
utter poison to anything resembling true juicy spiritual hope or
intellectual progress or really exceptional semidrunken sex.

Is this really still the rule? The bigger and more vibrant and more
vigorous and more culturally dynamic the city, or the more educated
and progressive and literate the small town, the more likely they were
to vote blue, Democrat, progressive, open minded, less fearful? Have
we progressed almost not at all from the days prior to the Civil War,
when the nation was split almost exactly as it is now? Verily, it
would appear not, not so much. In fact, it's only getting worse.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, plenty of well-educated
culturally astute people across the land who somehow still voted for
Bush, often against their own interests or deeper conscience and often
for antiquated "fiscally conservative" reasons or because it's just
how they're wired or because they think Dubya's a "good Christian" and
therefore are willing to overlook his mountain of policy failures, or
because they just can't bring themselves, even in the face of
astounding proofs of Bush's incompetence, to vote for the party of
Hillary and Ted Kennedy and Michael Moore.

No, not all city dwellers voted blue. The metropolises are, of course,
teeming with conservatives and lib-haters and homophobes, Republican
CEOs and phallically challenged Hummer owners and decent Christian
folk who don't read the newspaper. And it's also true that liberals
and lesbians, tofu eaters and tree huggers, dot the country's rural
burgs like sparkles on a heifer, like nails in the tire of the great
conservative SUV. The divide is never, despite BushCo's insistence,
that clean cut, or that obvious.

The cultural war has always raged on one level or another, has always
been a part of the blotchy American complexion. But it has never,
until now, penetrated the highest positions of the land. It has never,
until now, become the defining element of our society. It has never,
sadly, dominated our Congress, our houses of law, our White House, our
position in the world.

But there's more to it than that, more to it than the conservative
Right's hatred of same-sex marriage or French restaurants or fancy
book learnin'. What to make of the astounding fact, for example, that
the very places that are most in danger of attack from terrorism --
that is, places like New York, D.C., Los Angeles -- all went
overwhelmingly blue?

Put another way, if terrorism was, for the fear-drunk red states,
indeed the most galvanizing issue this election, why did those places
most susceptible to attack (or, in New York's case, still reeling from
one) vote for Kerry in such astounding numbers? What do they know
that, say, Kentucky doesn't?

Could it be they understand that Bush has, by way of some of the most
irresponsible and violent and disastrous foreign policy in American
history, actually increased the chances of another terrorist attack in
these places? Or that his policies will transform the current
anti-Bush sentiment now raging across Europe into full-blown
anti-Americanism? Or that there is more to the world than swearwords
on prime-time TV or gay men sharing a wedding cake or Janet Jackson's
nipple?

Yes indeed, the Culture War has now penetrated the highest corridors
of power, and the red tide has stormed in, taken control, entrenched
itself, demanded regression and rollbacks and a return to
old-fashioned American values, the ones that demand you read the Bible
and fear foreigners and keep your damn legs closed and your mouth shut
and quit asking so many prickly questions that make the president
blink all confused-like.

Yessir, I guess they showed those goddamn liberals. Guess they showed
those damn college boys who's boss. Guess they showed those of us who
are most at risk of terror attack and most open to change and most
welcoming to the various variations of love and marriage and art and
culture in this country who really owns the big stick.

How very unfortunate, then, that we are all to be beaten with it.

JimH November 12th 04 03:13 PM

Give it up already Bassy.

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 03:36 PM

JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is no
longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his master has
moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever Harry is doing.

"JimH" wrote in message
Give it up already Bassy.

P.Fritz November 12th 04 03:48 PM

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is
no longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his
master has moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever
Harry is doing.

Asslicker is already aping harry's newest tactic.......delving into personal
info on those that don't hold the same narrow minded view.

"JimH" wrote in message
Give it up already Bassy.

JohnH November 12th 04 04:20 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 07:11:07 -0800, (basskisser) wrote:

Down With Fancy Book Learnin'
What's it mean that the big cities and college towns of America all
voted blue?

Means the smart folks moved out to the suburbs and what's left voted
Democrat. Not hard to figure out.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Gould 0738 November 12th 04 05:05 PM

Means the smart folks moved out to the suburbs and what's left voted
Democrat. Not hard to figure out.

John H

Ah yes, Suburbia. Where everybody lives on a dead end street. Suburbanities
endure private "covenants" requiring them to conform to the neighbors, so that
when it is time to paint the cloned house (with the cloned landscaping) any
thought of individual expression is squelched in favor of the "public good."
Suburbia, the fantasy consumption neighborhood where the economy produces
nothing and the SUV is a god. Suburbia is a land of economic imperialism- all
wealth and resources in Suburbia are extracted from some remote area (the city
to which all commute). Suburbia, the primarily lilly white land of cultural
conformity.

It's no wonder you guys in Suburbia vote Republican, the party reflects the
values to which you subscribe in everyday life.

Short Wave Sportfishing November 12th 04 05:16 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 07:11:07 -0800, (basskisser) wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

But there's more to it than that, more to it than the conservative
Right's hatred of same-sex marriage

I cut out the rest of this typical bull**** rant just point something
out.

Just this morning I read an article that was a very interesting - it
concerned the whole gay marriage/civil union thing. It would appear
that the gay community itself is in something of a quandary about what
to do. As one gentleman who headed a national group (can't remember
which one) was quoted in the article "There wasn't any choice - it was
a vote on one aspect of the issue with no other considerations".

There was also an interesting comment hidden in the article about
moving too far too fast which is pretty much my viewpoint. And it is
also my view that one can't make a conclusion about "culture
war"without examining the data more closely - it's one hell of a lot
more complicated that who voted for Kerry and Bush. I noticed that in
this rant, the writer didn't mention that Kerry wasn't for gay
marriage either. :) Hmmm - let me amend that - I didn't quite get
through the whole thing because my eyes glazed over - I wasn't sure if
it was an article or a demonstration of how to call people names
without using any.

Anyway, to head off a huge name calling response, I do not believe
that gay marriage is the end of the world as we know it. I would
prefer that the term be reserved for those who can propagate the
species, but that's not completely necessary. I do believe that those
who are part of the gay/lesbian community are entitled to some sort of
civil recognition as in civil unions, but I'm not wedded to it.

Get it - wedded to it? :)

I'm more concerned about activist judges like Maggie Marshall who
should be sent back to Civics 101 and made to repeat 10,000 times
"Rule of the majority - not rule by a Judge".

By the way, I'm confused about something and perhaps one of the more
progressive members of this august body can enlighten me.

A male homosexual is considered gay and a female homosexual a lesbian.
But the homosexual community, male and female, is considered gay.

How come? I'm just a simple red county country bumpkin so use words
of one syllable please.

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing November 12th 04 05:25 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 17:05:38 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Come on Chuck, you got to admit - that was a pretty funny zinger.

I know you can smile a little - give it a try - it won't hurt. :)

Live long and prosper,

Tom.

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 05:29 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what community you live in, but suburbia is no longer lilly
white, you have every ethnic group imaginable in suburbia. People with
families are moving to suburbia, because so many of the inner city schools
suck. What makes you think minorities do not want a safe environment for
their children to learn?

If you visited the school districts in suburbia, you would be surprised how
diverse they are.

JimH November 12th 04 05:31 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

What world do you live in Chuck? In mine people of all economic classes,
all races, all ages and all religions live in suburbia's across the United
States. Suburbia is actually more diverse than most inner city
neighborhoods.

JohnH November 12th 04 05:57 PM

[...]

Would *you* want to live in northeast Washington DC?

I do live on a dead end street, along with a Pakistani family, two
Afghan families, an Afro-American family, two Mexican families, a
Korean family, a Saudi Arabian family, and three other "lily white"
families. I wish we were all wealthy, but I'm the only one who owns a
boat. (A 21'er, not the upper end of the boating spectrum!)

We don't have a homeowners covenant that we've signed, so we can all
paint our houses with purple polka dots if we desire.

Describe your neighborhoods for us, Chuck. Do you live in downtown
Seattle, where all the factories are producing something?

Or were you just being negative?

JohnH November 12th 04 06:02 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:16:07 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

[...]

Maybe the men are *real* happy, so when they're part of the group, the
whole group's happy.

It still doesn't answer the question about how the trash gets taken
out in a gay or lesbian household.

Gould 0738 November 12th 04 06:18 PM

If you visited the school districts in suburbia, you would be surprised how
diverse they are.

Seems that not all that long ago we had an OT post here from a guy who lives in
Suburbia. As I recall, he was outraged that
"Mexicans" were living in a house in his neighborhood, and he was all but
completely convinced they had to be up to no good in order to afford the
payments. As I recall, the plaintiff went so far as to check property records
with the county to see whether the property was registered to somebody with a
Mexican sounding surname.

Ain't as integrated as you think, but it is somewhat. See the word "primarily"
in my observation. The more expensive, cutting edge suburban neighborhoods will
present an ethnic reflection of the way wealth is held in the US. Those
"suburban" neighborhoods closer to town, built 25-30 years ago, do seem to be
slightly more diverse.

Gould 0738 November 12th 04 06:26 PM

What world do you live in Chuck? In mine people of all economic classes,
all races, all ages and all religions live in suburbia's across the United
States. Suburbia is actually more diverse than most inner city
neighborhoods.

I recently attended a business function at
a new, golf course community in the Cascade foothills- about 20-25 miles from
downtown Seattle. This place is brand new. They are going to hold a PGA
tournament there in 2005 or 2006. The houses are all painted various shades of
beige, all have the same roofing, the same windows, etc. Two or three new
sections are still under construction, and all the $1mm plus houses are painted
various shades of beige. While I didn't go door to door and do a survey, I did
see some diversity while I was there... a number of minorities worked for the
catering company- (but I'll bet you a buck they weren't living in the immediate
community).

JimH November 12th 04 06:35 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

And that snap shot picture certainly is a true representation of all of
suburbia.

My, what a broad brush we paint with Chuck.

JohnH November 12th 04 06:36 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 18:18:54 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Had nothing to do with their country of origin, had to do with their
habits, and the number of people and cars for one house and yard. Get
off your high horse, Chuck, it's not becoming.

thunder November 12th 04 06:37 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:16:07 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Anyway, to head off a huge name calling response, I do not believe that
gay marriage is the end of the world as we know it. I would prefer that
the term be reserved for those who can propagate the species, but that's
not completely necessary. I do believe that those who are part of the
gay/lesbian community are entitled to some sort of civil recognition as in
civil unions, but I'm not wedded to it.

What I find interesting, the term "gay marriage" makes a difference. Use
the term "civil union" or "domestic partnership" and the issue isn't
nearly as divisive.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...il-union_x.htm

Gould 0738 November 12th 04 06:41 PM

Describe your neighborhoods for us, Chuck. Do you live in downtown
Seattle, where all the factories are producing something?

Or were you just being negative?

I was being half assed facetious, but it seems I struck a nerve mine. :-)

I do live in a neighborhood at the perimeter of downtown Seattle. We have a
large number of neighborhood shops, restaurants, art galleries, a public
library, markets, and other amenities within a ten-minute leisurely walk (yes,
"walk") from our front door. There's a park across the street. I can walk to
the Seattle Center
in about twenty-five minutes, or to the heart of downtown Seattle in about
forty.

There is not a lot of diversity in my neighborhood, either. We've lived here
for many years, but couldn't afford (or wouldn't choose to afford) to buy into
this neighborhood today. There's a limit to what
one should tie up in a non-productive asset such as a house, (or a boat). Like
some of the locations in Suburbia, many urban neighborhoods also present an
ethnic reflection of the way that wealth is distributed in our society.

Difference is, we're smart enough to know that all the "smart people" don't
live in Suburbia, or in "Urbia", either. :-)

Gould 0738 November 12th 04 06:57 PM

Had nothing to do with their country of origin, had to do with their
habits, and the number of people and cars for one house and yard. Get
off your high horse, Chuck, it's not becoming.

Was that you? I remembered the incident, but not the party involved.

My horse has a question: If it wasn't about ethnicity, why were the people
described with an ethnic label? When my neighbor does something I wish he
hadn't done, I don't say "My Anglo Saxon Catholic nieghbor did this or
that..........."

Short Wave Sportfishing November 12th 04 07:01 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:37:22 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:16:07 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Anyway, to head off a huge name calling response, I do not believe that
gay marriage is the end of the world as we know it. I would prefer that
the term be reserved for those who can propagate the species, but that's
not completely necessary. I do believe that those who are part of the
gay/lesbian community are entitled to some sort of civil recognition as in
civil unions, but I'm not wedded to it.

What I find interesting, the term "gay marriage" makes a difference. Use
the term "civil union" or "domestic partnership" and the issue isn't
nearly as divisive.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...il-union_x.htm

I totally agree with that and it was pretty much the point of the
article.

Hell, I'm like everyone else - I have pejudices that influence my
immediate reactions to concepts and ideas, but let's try and solve
this one without trying to rip each groups throats out. Get it
written into law and let it go.

In MA, Tom "I never met a contribution I didn't keep" Finneran almost
got it done, but couldn't keep the consensus because the Supreme
Judicial Court ordered gay marriage into law. What folks reacted to
in MA was the absolute arrogance on the part of Margaret Marshall who
was going to have gay marriage and she didn't give a damn about what
the citizens thought or said.

If the bozo politicians worked at it, I'd bet we can get it done
quickly with no muss or fuss. Just have to keep the judicial fiats
out of the mix.

And don't give me any crap about masses of red Christian coalitions -
they don't exist. It's little advocate groups that make the most
noise, not the great unwashed proletariat.

Later,

Tom

Friday, November 12, 2004

Perhaps we're getting some indication of why b'ass is the way he is. Lot's
of folk, myself included, read Morford with some regularity. B'ass seems to
take him seriously.

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 07:07 PM

I can not understand your point. Do you have a problem with people buying
expensive homes or the fact that not everyone can afford expensive homes?
In the under $200,000 home, which is above the national average (I know the
west coast is expensive as hell), you will find a large percent to be owned
by non whites. Do you have a problem with people buying homes based upon
their financial situation or based upon the reputation of the schools? Do
you have a problem with people who move into the suburbs?

As far as your other comment, most communities, apartments, condos and
cities in both the inner city and suburbs will have zoning laws governing
how property can be used. I know if I had a neighbor who did not mow his
law, had turned his front law into a parking lot, had trash all over his
property, I would be upset, and it would not matter what their ethnic
background was. I would contact the local government as see if they were
violating any laws, wouldn't you?

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 07:14 PM

Gould,
One other point about urban areas vs. suburban areas. In most cities the
inner city is becoming gentrified. Young professionals are buying homes in
the city, getting strict zoning and covenants passed so they will have their
investments protected. They are then bidding up the value of the homes so
they can do extensive remolding. Some of those who live in the inner city
feel it is unfair to them, because when the young professionals move in,
they have less affordable homes.

Should we view these young professionals as a blight on the inner city?

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 07:16 PM

I can not remember your comment, but I know Gould would be very upset if his
boating neighbor left their tools all over the dock or left beer cans
scattered all over the dock and in the water.

Most marinas have very strict rules and enforce them, and most marinas do
not care what your color is, as long as you have the green.

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 07:21 PM

What in the hell is your point? That neighborhood is not reflective of the
average neighborhood in America. But in most communities you will find very
rich blacks, Hispanics and Asians. Where do you think the rappers, sports
stars, minority businessmen live?

I also bet the average unskilled worker does not live in your neighborhood
or own a boat.

It would appear that you concern is not towards those who have less than
you, but those who have more than you.

JohnH November 12th 04 07:33 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 18:57:28 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Had nothing to do with their country of origin, had to do with their
habits, and the number of people and cars for one house and yard. Get
off your high horse, Chuck, it's not becoming.

Was that you? I remembered the incident, but not the party involved.

My horse has a question: If it wasn't about ethnicity, why were the people
described with an ethnic label? When my neighbor does something I wish he
hadn't done, I don't say "My Anglo Saxon Catholic nieghbor did this or
that..........."

I used the same label that news sources in the county have used to
describe the same event occurring elsewhere. So far, the practice
seems to be the practice of only one ethnic group. Is there something
wrong with the mention of ethnicity when discussing behavior?

Very often on the news, I'll hear an announcer say something like,
"The subject was a black male, about 200 lbs. and about six feet tall,
etc." Is that wrong? Is that a racial slur? Or is it simply a fact?

JohnH November 12th 04 07:35 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 18:41:43 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you live up on the hill. I had no idea you were being
facetious. That's because it is getting very hard to tell the
difference with many of your posts. I guess I'm just getting senile
and unintelligent.

JohnH November 12th 04 07:39 PM

On 12 Nov 2004 18:26:08 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

Wal-Mart probably had a sale on beige paint. I'll bet if you *had*
gone door to door, you would have found a very flavorful mix of
ethnicities. Go see who lives within shouting distance of my house
(but these are only going for $500K or thereabouts).

JimH November 12th 04 07:39 PM

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

When he is cornered in a discussion his out is typically that he was being
"half assed facetious" or something similar to that.

*Half assed facetious* my ass.

Gould 0738 November 12th 04 07:43 PM

I can not understand your point.

Because you choose not to consider it with an open mind.

Do you have a problem with people buying
expensive homes or the fact that not everyone can afford expensive homes?

Of course not. I have a problem with people living in expensive homes adopting
a position that they are "smarter" (as in all the smart people moved to the
suburbs).

In the under $200,000 home, which is above the national average (I know the
west coast is expensive as hell), you will find a large percent to be owned
by non whites.

I don't think there have been any liveable homes under $200,000 in this area
for several years now. Fixer uppers are $500k. New homes in the suburbs are
usually in the 7-figure range if you want something over 2000 sq ft in a posh
neighborhood. Double that for most "gated communities".
In any area of the country, home ownership will reflect the same ethnic
proportions in which wealth itself is held. Those with more wealth tend to live
in nicer homes. Nobody should be awarded a better home than they can afford, or
conversely forced to live below their means
by virtue of race.

A large number of non-whites own homes in most communities across the country.
We're two generations away from one non-white group of super achievers owning
almost everything on the west coast. And more power to anybody willing to work
hard enough to achieve such a goal.

Do you have a problem with people buying homes based upon
their financial situation or based upon the reputation of the schools?

Nope. Merely observed that the contrived, conformist existence in Suburbia is
reflected in the voting tendencies claimed by one of the conservatives here
'bouts.

I do have a problem when the "reputation of the schools" is created by
transferring tax dollars out of inner city neighborhoods and away from inner
city schools to create state-of-the-art education centers for kids attending
more suburban schools in the same county or district.

Do
you have a problem with people who move into the suburbs?

I lived in the suburbs for a few years. Not my thing, thanks anyway. Anybody
who wants to enjoy the traffic jams, the strip malls, the automobile dependent
transportation system, the conformist neighborhoods, the Plastmo-Sign franchise
substitute for culture, etc.....is more than welcome to my space there. No, I
have no problem with those who find the meaning of life in suburbia.

As far as your other comment, most communities, apartments, condos and
cities in both the inner city and suburbs will have zoning laws governing
how property can be used.

Agreed. Most suburban communities have extra-legal covenants that give your
neighbors veto power over the type of vehicle you can ( otherwise legally) park
in your own driveway, the color you can paint your house, the type of
landscaping you can plant on your property, the size and shape of your mailbox,
etc. Much different from "Thou shalt not operate a whore house across the
street from a grade school." One is a matter of public safety and propriety,
the other is an extension of the herd mentality by a committee of neighborhood
busy bodies.

JohnH November 12th 04 07:44 PM

wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:16:07 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Anyway, to head off a huge name calling response, I do not believe that
gay marriage is the end of the world as we know it. I would prefer that
the term be reserved for those who can propagate the species, but that's
not completely necessary. I do believe that those who are part of the
gay/lesbian community are entitled to some sort of civil recognition as in
civil unions, but I'm not wedded to it.

What I find interesting, the term "gay marriage" makes a difference. Use
the term "civil union" or "domestic partnership" and the issue isn't
nearly as divisive.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...il-union_x.htm

I thought the whole damn thing revolved around the word 'marriage'.
With all this fighting about what to call the 'union' of gays or
lesbians, imagine the fighting that will happen over what we call the
'disunion' of gays and lesbians. They sure as hell better not call it
'divorce' ! That word should be reserved only for a man and a woman.

thunder November 12th 04 07:47 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:01:48 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

If the bozo politicians worked at it, I'd bet we can get it done quickly
with no muss or fuss. Just have to keep the judicial fiats out of the
mix.

This state, New Jersey, along with several others, has done it. It was a
blip on the local news when it was done, but since that time I haven't
heard anything about it. It wasn't called "marriage", and to be honest,
I'm not sure what "legalities" go with it.

Short Wave Sportfishing November 12th 04 07:48 PM

wrote:

[...]

Not another discussion around the discussion discussing the original
discussion that went off-topic eight discussions ago!!!!!!!

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................. ..........

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 08:17 PM

No generalization is always correct, but I would think if you gave an IQ
test to those living below the poverty level, and then gave a IQ test to
those living in the top 10% of the US, you would find the average IQ is
substantially higher.

I would also guess if you took those whose income is in the top 25% and
compared their IQ with those living in the bottom 25%, you would see a
dramatic difference.

I do like the way when someone disagrees with you, you generalize that they
do not have an open mind.

As far as your comment about tax dollars being diverted from inner city
schools to those who live in the rich neighborhoods, that has not been
around for 20yrs. The courts will not allow any school district to divert
money from one neighborhood to another. That fact that you think this is
still done, shows that you do live in the past.

As far as your comment about "herd mentality" it would appear that you do
not have an open mind, and just love to paint anyone who is different from
you with a broad brush and you fail to see the obvious. Most cities with
historic districts have more restrictive covenants (especially those in the
strongly democratic states of New England) than any suburb covenants. That
fact that you do not understand such a simple concept says more about your
herd mentality than anything I could say.

PS - I have moved from the suburbs to the city, the difference between you
and me, is I don't like to group anyone with my preconceived ideas. I like
to look at people as individuals.

basskisser November 12th 04 08:36 PM

"P.Fritz" wrote in message ...
"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is
no longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his
master has moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever
Harry is doing.

Asslicker is already aping harry's newest tactic.......delving into personal
info on those that don't hold the same narrow minded view.

Jeezus! Do you even HAVE enough brain power to post or reply without
childish name calling? Do you?
Now, let's do this, Fritz. Google up YOUR posts, and see just how many
cut and paste jobs YOU have done. Many, many.

basskisser November 12th 04 08:37 PM

"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message news:ML4ld.329980$wV.329077@attbi_s54...
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is no
longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his master has
moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever Harry is doing.

As well as Fritz's, but you seem to condone it from him just fine, huh?

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 08:41 PM

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"Dr. Dr. Smithers" wrote in message
JimH,
You do realize that this was Harry's favorite method of posting in
rec.boats, it will take basskisser a few months to realize that Harry is
no
longer cut and pasting news articles. As soon as he realizes his master
has
moved on to new things, Basskisser will move on to whatever Harry is
doing.

As well as Fritz's, but you seem to condone it from him just fine, huh?

Can you show me one post where I condoned anything Fritz has done?

JohnH November 12th 04 09:25 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:17:24 GMT, "Dr. Dr. Smithers"
wrote:

[...]

Hey, come on, he was just kidding!

Dr. Dr. Smithers November 12th 04 09:32 PM

If Gould was kidding than all I have to say is ............. " Nevermind!"

Gould does seem to have gotten on a high horse and has a real superiority
complex.
He is one of the most bigoted and close minded person I have meet in
rec.boats. If anyone does not see things his way, he likes to paint them as
evil.