DownTime

Default Typical gph for a 6 hp Mercury 4-stroke ?

"Sven" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"DownTime" wrote:

is it a 20 fter or a 60 fter, it
would have a HUGE impact on the calculation of fuel consumption.

Not if stated in gph, which is what I asked for.

so what if the boat runs for 1, 2, or 10 hours per gallon? if you do not
factor in weight and distance, the calculation is meaningless.

p.s. PLONK yourself, better yet, invest in towing insurance.

Dan Krueger

The answer is worthless.
Duh...

jchaplain wrote:
If he had included the size and type of boat - that he clearly doesn't want to
reveal - he might get a better answer or even a first hand report from someone
with the same configuration.

I think he should have included the information on which way the tide
was going as well. He must be keeping that a big secret too.
Yuh, that's the ticket, Sven is trying to trick us with his devilishly
tough questions...how long does a 6hp engine run on a gallon of
gas....duh.....

Sven

A very revealing question.

It didn't answer the stated question but it sure exposed a lot of
ignorance.

No wonder so many sail^H^H^H^H folks need to subscribe to vessel assist.

-Sven
Greg

No wonder so many sail^H^H^H^H folks need to subscribe to vessel assist.

If a guy in a sailboat doesn't sink, run aground or run out of drinking water I
can't imagine why he needs "vessel assist".
You might be late for dinner but the wind will come up eventually.
Compared to the dozens of things that can go wrong with a power boat, sail is
pretty reliable.
QLW

We traveled over 800 miles this past summer on a 25' sailboat and over 95%
of that was under power with a 6 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. The mileage per gallon
varied depending on wind and current but it averaged out at over 15 MPG or
about .43 gal per hour. I mostly ran the boat at or just below 6 MPH which
was about .7 MPH below WOT. Our friends on a 26' with an 8 HP diesel did
even better by about 20% I have nothing to back this up, but I think I'd
have done even better with my 7.5 HP Honda motor which may have allowed me
to back the throttle off even more and to have driven into a few really
strong head winds better. I opted for the 6 because it was almost new and
the Honda is 20 years old.

2 or 4 stroke? RG General 46 December 15th 03 02:38 AM
4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 03:14 AM
Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
convert johnson prop to mercury richg99 General 1 September 22nd 03 12:23 PM
Mercury 200 Classic problem ! Jon Harris General 1 August 11th 03 02:31 AM