Sven

Default Typical gph for a 6 hp Mercury 4-stroke ?

In article ,
"DownTime" wrote:

is it a 20 fter or a 60 fter, it
would have a HUGE impact on the calculation of fuel consumption.

Not if stated in gph, which is what I asked for.

PLONK

-Sven
jchaplain

Duh, - YOU please go back and read the original post!

He didn't ask how far he could get on a gallon of gas, he was asking
for ENGINE RUN TIME per gallon.

And now you've said...
"this person asked a very open, somewhat boating
illiterate question."

You're way off base. I'm sure you're eager to help other boaters, but
you need to be less judgemental of the skills of other boaters based
on the absolutuely nothing you know about them, and read the question
better before sounding off like a Wally-know-it-all.

John C.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:45:04 GMT, "DownTime"
wrote:

"jchaplain" wrote in message
.. .
Good luck not becoming a statistic? Why the hell would you say that?
Just have nothing else to say? I guess you think Sven must be such a
foolhardy mariner for not putting a more powerfull outboat on his
SAILBOAT.....duh.
John C.

please go back and read the original post, and the first few response. I was
adding a bit of sarcasm, but this person asked a very open, somewhat boating
illiterate question and when others came to try and help by asking him for
more detailed information, the guy just blew them off. if it was not for his
two responses, I would not have said anything. twice he responded and never
answered the original question. other people were trying to help, and if he
choose to be so ignorant in his response, I would pretty much guarantee he
is the type who has a pretty high probability of becoming a statistic.

I may not have been clear, but I was thinking of a statistic in terms of
getting towed home because the captain in this case failed to adequately
plan his trip. I think he might be foolhardy to expect anyone else to know
his fuel consumption based solely on the engine. it has nothing to do with a
more powerful engine, just simple physics. is it a 20 fter or a 60 fter, it
would have a HUGE impact on the calculation of fuel consumption.

Dan Krueger

In his original post, he said he needed this information in case the winds
completely die down. Let's say his estimate of 1/2 gallon per hour is dead on.
Without knowing the speed of the boat at 3/4 throttle, how can you tell if you
can cover the distance? Fuel consumption per hour is meaningless by itself to
determine the range he will get with his existing fuel tank. He also said he
just replaced the motor so unless he has already checked the speed at 3/4
throttle (and if he did he should already know the fuel consumption) it is
impossible to determine the range. Also, someone pointed out the effect sea
conditions can have and on a rough day it could reduce the range by 25% or more.

If he had included the size and type of boat - that he clearly doesn't want to
reveal - he might get a better answer or even a first hand report from someone
with the same configuration.

jchaplain wrote:
Duh, - YOU please go back and read the original post!

He didn't ask how far he could get on a gallon of gas, he was asking
for ENGINE RUN TIME per gallon.

And now you've said...
"this person asked a very open, somewhat boating
illiterate question."

You're way off base. I'm sure you're eager to help other boaters, but
you need to be less judgemental of the skills of other boaters based
on the absolutuely nothing you know about them, and read the question
better before sounding off like a Wally-know-it-all.

John C.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:45:04 GMT, "DownTime"
wrote:

"jchaplain" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

jchaplain

Okay, if you think an engine will push the Queen Mary and use the same
amount of gas as pushing an inner tube.

It will run ( roughly) the same amount of time per gallon of gas,
which was the question...geez, don't you know how to read? Someone
helping you type?

I see your response was very helpful to Sven With the Secret Boat.

And your helpful response was? Letsee...how big is the boat?

OK, Sven, next time, when dealing with morons here on rec.boats, maybe
you need to say...

"attached to a dock, how long will the motor run on a gallon of gas."

They'll probably ask how big the dock is though...sigh......

John C.
jchaplain

If he had included the size and type of boat - that he clearly doesn't want to
reveal - he might get a better answer or even a first hand report from someone
with the same configuration.

I think he should have included the information on which way the tide
was going as well. He must be keeping that a big secret too.
Yuh, that's the ticket, Sven is trying to trick us with his devilishly
tough questions...how long does a 6hp engine run on a gallon of
gas....duh.....

Sven

Hi John,

In article ,
jchaplain wrote:

They'll probably ask how big the dock is though...sigh......

:-)

Thanks for the valiant attempts to step in with some logic.
Unfortunately, half the population will always have below average
intelligence. A good killfile is the most painless way of dealing with
the problem.

Have a good holiday !

-Sven
jchaplain

Is "duh" your answer?

You are a stupid foch.

jchaplain

I guess I'm in the stupid half.

yup
Calif Bill

"jchaplain" wrote in message

If he had included the size and type of boat - that he clearly doesn't

want to
reveal - he might get a better answer or even a first hand report from

someone
with the same configuration.

I think he should have included the information on which way the tide
was going as well. He must be keeping that a big secret too.
Yuh, that's the ticket, Sven is trying to trick us with his devilishly
tough questions...how long does a 6hp engine run on a gallon of
gas....duh.....

How much prop? Is it a Bigfoot? Load affects fuel consumption.

DownTime

"jchaplain" wrote in message

Duh, - YOU please go back and read the original post!

He didn't ask how far he could get on a gallon of gas, he was asking
for ENGINE RUN TIME per gallon.

And now you've said...
"this person asked a very open, somewhat boating
illiterate question."

You're way off base. I'm sure you're eager to help other boaters, but
you need to be less judgemental of the skills of other boaters based
on the absolutuely nothing you know about them, and read the question
better before sounding off like a Wally-know-it-all.

John C.

i was trying to be a little less judgemental until you jumped in. how 'bout
this, you and Sven go on the trip and report back with your findings. deal?

as I stated, had he been willing to offer up a ltitle more information, he
could have had more meaningful answers. engine run time per gallon means
nothing if you do not equate or factor in the distance and here is the
tricky part for you, the weight of the boat. in case you might still be
confused, the bigger (i.e. longer) the boat, typically the more it weighs.
not every single case, but a good rule of thumb.

untill then, Happy Holidays to all.

p.s. I know my range and consumption!

2 or 4 stroke? RG General 46 December 15th 03 02:38 AM
4 stroke produces more "thrust"???? RG General 24 December 10th 03 03:14 AM
Changing Spark Plugs Mercury 4 Stroke Engine Ernie General 0 October 7th 03 04:01 AM
convert johnson prop to mercury richg99 General 1 September 22nd 03 12:23 PM
Mercury 200 Classic problem ! Jon Harris General 1 August 11th 03 02:31 AM