Wayne.B

Default 26 footer recommendations

I'm thinking about a "next" boat.

It should have a modest cuddy cabin with a head, preferably a "real"
head.

It should be trailerable, i.e., 8'6'' max beam, max dry weight less
than about 5,500 pounds, LOA about 26', Inboard/Outboard.

It should have a very good ride in a chop, i.e. lots of dead rise and
a fine entry.

It should be decently fast but quiet, something like a single 454 or
twin 350s, well muffled of course.

I'm thinking in terms of a used boat, 5 to 10 years old, preferably
with a reputation for quality and decent construction.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:09:06 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

I'm thinking about a "next" boat.

It should have a modest cuddy cabin with a head, preferably a "real"
head.

It should be trailerable, i.e., 8'6'' max beam, max dry weight less
than about 5,500 pounds, LOA about 26', Inboard/Outboard.

It should have a very good ride in a chop, i.e. lots of dead rise and
a fine entry.

It should be decently fast but quiet, something like a single 454 or
twin 350s, well muffled of course.

I'm thinking in terms of a used boat, 5 to 10 years old, preferably
with a reputation for quality and decent construction.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sportsfisher, express or family? I'll guess sportfisher. :)

If I were in the hands down used market, I'd look to Pursuit - they
make some remarkable boats in that range and some are trailerable
without much fuss or muss. The only problem is power - these aren't
inboards.

Gotta be inboards huh?

Dang.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Wayne.B

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:36:10 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Sportsfisher, express or family? I'll guess sportfisher.

I'm open on that question as long as there is a half decent cuddy
cabin and head. Most of the time, vast majority in fact, it will be a
day boat with 2 to 4 people on board. I'd prefer I/O(s) but would not
rule out twin OBs if they were Mercs or Yamahas in demonstrably good
condition.

Bob La Londe

My dad has a 22' Trophy with a walk around cuddy cabin. Its a great
trailerable boat and it handles moderate water waves and chop fairly well.
I know its smaller than you were looking at, but the reason I commented is
because it is an outboard driven boat. With no inboard motor in the way it
is very spacious. For quality it is fair, but he has fixed all its problems
over the years. I'm not particularly reccomending a Bayliner just saying
that you shouldn't over look outboards. (Some here would say Bayliners
aren't real boats.)

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

wrote:

Sportsfisher, express or family? I'll guess sportfisher.

I'm open on that question as long as there is a half decent cuddy
cabin and head. Most of the time, vast majority in fact, it will be a
day boat with 2 to 4 people on board. I'd prefer I/O(s) but would not
rule out twin OBs if they were Mercs or Yamahas in demonstrably good
condition.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Sportsfisher, express or family? I'll guess sportfisher.

I'm open on that question as long as there is a half decent cuddy
cabin and head. Most of the time, vast majority in fact, it will be a
day boat with 2 to 4 people on board. I'd prefer I/O(s) but would not
rule out twin OBs if they were Mercs or Yamahas in demonstrably good
condition.

Well, Hydra-Sports are a good place to start looking. You might want
to look around for Pursuit or Tiara.

The problem is the trailering. Most of the good boats with a full
head are wider than 8'6". Oddly, older boats like the 24/25'
Marathons of late '80s vintage have that feature.

Some of the mid-'80s Pursuits were fully trailerable having a 8'9"
beam on a special trailer and Black Watch (the ones built in
Marblehead, MA) were also trailerable, but it was close on the 9'
limit.

I can't really come up with a specific recommendation and am at
somewhat of a loss concerning the trailerability. I just went through
this all summer long looking for some thing between the Ranger and the
Contender that was trailerable - in short, exactly what you are
looking for. The only ones I came up with were a Pursuit and a Tiara
and those had Yamahas which I wouldn't want.

The one resource I found that was very helpful in my search was
yachtworld.com. Sometimes you can link out to a broker site and come
up with some real gems.

I just thought - You might also want to look at Uniflites in that
length.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but for some reason, I'm drawing a blank.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

Wayne.B

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:10:04 GMT, "Gordon" wrote:

Why I/O? Bad choice.

============================

Ease of trailering, launching and prop replacement. We have a lot of
"thin" water here, some charted, some not. The boat will be stored in
a lift so corrosion is not a major issue.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:09:10 GMT, "Gordon" wrote:

Bartender with straight inboard.

That's an interesting recommendation, too bad the overall design looks
a little dated at this point. Does anybody make one in fiberglass
with a more up to date appearance?

Bob La Londe

Your comments about prop, trailering, etc can all also be addressed with an
outboard that weighs a lot less for the same horsepower. Even a 4 stroke OB
will weigh a lot less than an I/O of the same SHP.