Scott

Default Wood Canoe Recommendations?

I'm starting research for a wooden canoe as a surprise for my
(Canadian-born) wife. I'm thinking 17 feet, wood. I don't mind the
maintenance and will store indoors. Intended use is placid lakes in
Oregon, a little fishing. Just the two of us on day trips.
Anticipated budget: $2000-$2500 (?) Any recommendations on
manufacturers, type of bottom (rocker?), what to watch out for, other
key specifications to keep in mind, etc., would very much be
appreciated. Thank you.
Carl McCarty

Why don't you look at Ebay. There seems to always be a few boats someone
has built for themselves and then decided to sell. You could also build
one yourself if you have the time. It's not difficult.

Scott wrote:

I'm starting research for a wooden canoe as a surprise for my
(Canadian-born) wife. I'm thinking 17 feet, wood. I don't mind the
maintenance and will store indoors. Intended use is placid lakes in
Oregon, a little fishing. Just the two of us on day trips.
Anticipated budget: $2000-$2500 (?) Any recommendations on
manufacturers, type of bottom (rocker?), what to watch out for, other
key specifications to keep in mind, etc., would very much be
appreciated. Thank you.

Jake Janovetz

As another poster said, building one is not very difficult. It's a
lot of fun if you have the time. It also helps you value the boat a
little more. I've got a Pygmy Coho and Pygmy Osprey Triple
(www.pygmyboats.com). They're not quite as attractive as the strip
kayaks but they take a lot less time!

Jake