Bill Kiene

Default Two types of boat dealers

Hi All,

In my area, northern California, we seem to have two basic types of boat
dealers:

1) There seems to be too many dealers that are only interested in selling
you a very large boat and that is about where it stops. They have no
interest in helping you with your used boat, motor and trailer. They seem to
be like the worst car lot you have ever been to in your life. Their service
department is not a priority with them either.

2) Then you have the dealerships that have a very strong reputation for
service and take care of each person one at a time no matter what their
needs are at the time. They are interested in you and know if they take good
care of you that some day you will either buy a new boat from them or send
friend in to see them. This is the kind of dealership that you want to
support so they will be there with parts and service if you need it.

Around Sacramento we are very lucky to have several very famous older boat
dealerships that are noted for top notch service department. Buck's
Outboards is a prime example of a great dealership with over 50 years of
history. I think they make more money on service than they do selling boats
because of the reputation.

As far as high labor rates go, that is just the facts of life in America.
Labor rates in America are going to be high in any professional shop for
boats, RVs, motorcycles, automobiles etc.

I have a friend who bought a new BMW motorcycle a few years back. He was so
shocked with the cost of a normal service that he traded it in on a new one.
I told him that if he could not pay for the service, why buy that expensive
of a motorcycle?

Expensive service is just part of owning an expensive new car, boat or RV.

I do everything by getting references first.

--
Bill Kiene

Ernie

Chris, I thing you missed the point. Please reread.
In the Raymond, Maine area I don't know about all dealers, but I do know
about one, namely, Panther Run Mariner in Raymond, Maine. I bought a brand
new 17' last June and it has been a nightmare from day one. The service has
been horrendous and would surely like to hear about others who have been
experiencing the same.

"Chris" wrote in message
What I the point in this email aside from an advert for Bucks outboards?

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Bill Kiene

Hi Chris,

Just a heads up to the "new to boating" people that might need it. You are
probably way past that.

Buck's has a 3 month waiting list and does no advertising, just good work. I
suggested that they might look at getting someone to do a web site for them.
They said they were thinking of removing the sign from the top of the
building so they could get a day off once and a while.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

Chris" wrote in message

What I the point in this email aside from an advert for Bucks outboards?

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

RG

Default Best service/Dealer in YOUR area? was ...Two types of boat dealers

I've got a dealer in Houston TX ( Northshore marine) that is simply
outstanding. I pass a half dozen boat dealer/service locations in the twenty
mile drive I take, through Houston traffic, to get to them. If this be a
free advertisement for them, so be it. Maybe that is exactly the best use of
the band-width here....unsolicited, true, testimonials to the "best" we can
find in our respective areas, by people who have no affiliation except being
happy customers.

Does anyone have a similar recommendation in the Northern Illinois,-
Southern Wisconsin area? I head up there in the summers and would like a
contact there, especially if he was a Yamaha dealer.

Thanks RichG

Capt. Frank Hopkins

My service shop in North Florida is:

Westside Marine, Les Spicer-owner
Mercruiser Factory Certified and has a full warranty on his work.
(904) 695-2756

I recommend them as a fair and honest repair shop. They have done
several repairs on my various boats and always stood behind their work.
I have had only 1 problem with their repairs (454 engine & Bravo II
outdrive change out) and they resolved the issue within 24 hours at no
charge.

Capt. Frank
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

RG wrote:

I've got a dealer in Houston TX ( Northshore marine) that is simply
outstanding. I pass a half dozen boat dealer/service locations in the twenty
mile drive I take, through Houston traffic, to get to them. If this be a
free advertisement for them, so be it. Maybe that is exactly the best use of
the band-width here....unsolicited, true, testimonials to the "best" we can
find in our respective areas, by people who have no affiliation except being
happy customers.

Does anyone have a similar recommendation in the Northern Illinois,-
Southern Wisconsin area? I head up there in the summers and would like a
contact there, especially if he was a Yamaha dealer.

Thanks RichG

JimL

Although I'm not in Florida, I do think good dealers should get their
share of fair publicity. We always hear about the bad ones, so thanks
for that info on your dealer. Who knows, someday I may be in Florida,
and I can google this. :^)

JimL

RG wrote:

I've got a dealer in Houston TX ( Northshore marine) that is simply
outstanding. I pass a half dozen boat dealer/service locations in the
twenty
mile drive I take, through Houston traffic, to get to them. If this be a
free advertisement for them, so be it. Maybe that is exactly the best
use of
the band-width here....unsolicited, true, testimonials to the "best"
we can
find in our respective areas, by people who have no affiliation except
being
happy customers.

Does anyone have a similar recommendation in the Northern Illinois,-
Southern Wisconsin area? I head up there in the summers and would like a
contact there, especially if he was a Yamaha dealer.

Thanks RichG

Richard Malcolm

Great idea to promote the good ones.
Anyone in the Boston Area have any recomendations. Like to hear about
any shops. right now I have a OMC I/O four winns