Default Changing Oil - Whats a good pump?

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion as to a decent pump to buy for
changing the oil in an I/O engine,
pumping it out thru the dip stick hole. One that works, not overly
expensive.

Thanks,

Ron

Gregory McGuire

I got a pump that you hand pump. It is designed for gear lube and should
work for oil as well.
I got mine at kragens about 15 years ago.
go to www.kragen.com and search for gear oil pump
http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectPa...ear+O il+Pump
they seem to be about $10
greg
"r" wrote in message news:dHCed.448382$Fg5.281481@attbi_s53...
Just curious if anyone has a suggestion as to a decent pump to buy for
changing the oil in an I/O engine,
pumping it out thru the dip stick hole. One that works, not overly
expensive.

Thanks,

Ron

Rick

I use the "Topside" vacuum system. Works fine. I use it on the boat genset
and the other small engines around the boat and house. On the main boat
engine I have a hand pump - factory supplied. I would recommend against one
of these. Its takes many strokes to pump out 5 quarts and due to location I
am laying on my side to use it.

I would recommend something that is powered with 12V or 120V or at least
vacuum.

My vote is for the topsider. Just remember that for every 1 person pleased
with something there are at least 2 others that hate it.

Also be careful with your gaskets on any vacuum powered device. I have lost
mine a few times but the "Topside" folks have always sent me a new set.

"r" wrote in message news:dHCed.448382$Fg5.281481@attbi_s53...
Just curious if anyone has a suggestion as to a decent pump to buy for
changing the oil in an I/O engine,
pumping it out thru the dip stick hole. One that works, not overly
expensive.

Thanks,

Ron

William G. Andersen

If there's enough space to get to the oil drain plug on your engine, you
might consider buying a hose with a connector that replaces the drain plug,
and can be passed through the transom drain plug; then you remove the plug
on the end of the hose for draining.
I saw it in a video about MerCruisers, and may add it to my 3 liter engin
when it's service next month. http://www.mercurymarine.com/3.0l_sd_-_135_hp

"r" wrote in message news:dHCed.448382$Fg5.281481@attbi_s53...
Just curious if anyone has a suggestion as to a decent pump to buy for
changing the oil in an I/O engine,
pumping it out thru the dip stick hole. One that works, not overly
expensive.

Thanks,

Ron

akheel

"r" wrote in news:dHCed.448382$Fg5.281481@attbi_s53:

Just curious if anyone has a suggestion as to a decent pump to buy for
changing the oil in an I/O engine,
pumping it out thru the dip stick hole. One that works, not overly
expensive.

Thanks,

Ron

I use the pump that attaches to your drill. You can get them most anywhere
that sells hardware, including Sears (I got my at OSH which sells
Craftsman). It it comes with a garden hose attacments. Most I/O have a
similar size fitting around the dipstick opening. Just screw on the hose
fitting, insert the shaft of the pump into the drill chuck, tighten and go.
Make sure oil is warm.