L Schultz

Default Help, Advice

My 22 foot small cruiser is nosed in next to the pier in relatively shallow
water. This weekend after bringing up the swing keel, I was adjusting the
crank handle and the keel cable snapped.

The swing keel is about 550 lbs, the boat draws about 12 inches, and due to
a draw down on the lake where I sail, the water level where I tie off is
currently about two feet. The bottom in that area of the lake is soft silt.

So, because I nose-in I can't take it forward. I figure the keel is
probably a foot into muck (maybe less) and because it is a swing keel, I
can't back out.

I have winches on the gun'ls just aft of the cabin & thought I'd run a line
or web strap under from the bow and work back, then attach to one side and
try to winch it up from the other side in order to get her out into deep
enough water to drop the keel and reconnect a new cable.

Please share any ideas or remedies you may have.

Thanks,

--
Lloyd

"Nollite illegitimus contarere vos"

Matt Colie

Lloyd,

What you are describing is just about exactly what we did in a similar
situation. Difference: It was a hundred plus pound center board and
not a swing keel (like a Cat22). We still could not slide the line
under the board, we had to pull from both sides, but you could do that.
too.

Good Luck,
Matt Colie

L Schultz wrote:
[...]

d parker

Capsize the boat as she lays. (Remember to secure all lockers and loose
items first). Then you are free to work on the keel as needed. Capsizing is
not hard to do. Using the strongest halyard, nearest the hounds, walk away
from the boat and pull. With a couple of strong men on the end she will come
down easily.

It will help if there is an object you can tie to. i.e. Pole or other
jetty.(I usually wrap the halyard around the mast before pulling. This
distributes the load and eases pressure on the exit box)

If the water is too deep, drag the boat further in using a vehicle on shore
to pull it.

I have had a very similar problem solved it this way in no time at all.

DP