L Schultz

Default Help, Advice

My 22 foot small cruiser is nosed in next to the pier in relatively shallow
water. This weekend after bringing up the swing keel, I was adjusting the
crank handle and the keel cable snapped.

The swing keel is about 550 lbs, the boat draws about 12 inches, and due to
a draw down on the lake where I sail, the water level where I tie off is
currently about two feet. The bottom in that area of the lake is soft silt.

So, because I nose-in I can't take it forward. I figure the keel is
probably a foot into muck (maybe less) and because it is a swing keel, I
can't back out.

I have winches on the gun'ls just aft of the cabin & thought I'd run a line
or web strap under from the bow and work back, then attach to one side and
try to winch it up from the other side in order to get her out into deep
enough water to drop the keel and reconnect a new cable.

Please share any ideas or remedies you may have.

Thanks,

--
Lloyd

"Nollite illegitimus contarere vos"