B. Mounsey

Default How do i remove leg on 30 johnson

I have undone the bolts holding the leg on but it still seems to be held on
by the gear leave, the leg goes up and down when you move the gear lever.
Thank Brett

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:50:52 +0800, "B. Mounsey"
wrote:

I have undone the bolts holding the leg on but it still seems to be held on
by the gear leave, the leg goes up and down when you move the gear lever.

Wha? Huh? Whozzit?

Are you talking about the lower unit?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
B. Mounsey

I have undone the bolts holding the leg on but it still seems to be held

on
by the gear leave, the leg goes up and down when you move the gear lever.

Wha? Huh? Whozzit?

Are you talking about the lower unit?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Sorry, yes i expect its the lower unit, trying to get to the water pump
Thanks Brett

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:49:44 +0800, "B. Mounsey"
wrote:

I have undone the bolts holding the leg on but it still seems to be held

on
by the gear leave, the leg goes up and down when you move the gear lever.

Wha? Huh? Whozzit?

Are you talking about the lower unit?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Sorry, yes i expect its the lower unit, trying to get to the water pump

You have to disconnect the shift lever from the shift cable cam under
the engine cowl.

Then it's a question of wiggle and jiggle until it comes off.

The water pump will be right on top of the lower unit. You may have
to remove a metal cover and gasket to get to it. On some units it is
a press fit to the drive shaft so make sure the shaft is oiled up when
you take the old pump off and put the new one on.

Be carefull when you reinstall the lower unit - you have a master
groove on the driveshaft I believe - locate it when you remove it and
keep that in mind when you reinstall.

Please remember that I'm just winging it here - I don't know what your
specific model is in terms of year, etc. It should be pretty close
though.

Good luck.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention that you may have to remove the trim tab.

Later,

Tom

tony thomas

You have to disconnect the shift shaft from the shift linkage. It is
located directly under the carbs. There are two methods use by OMC.
Depends on your model.
1. Remove clevis pin on right side of engine (facing it from the rear it
would be on your right side) and pull the shift linkage outward.
2. Remove bolt under carb that holds the sift linkage to the shift rod.

Make sure you do not twist the shift rod while removed. This adjusts the
clutch dog throw and can cause you to wear out the clutch dog by not
properly engaging..

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"B. Mounsey" wrote in message
I have undone the bolts holding the leg on but it still seems to be held on
by the gear leave, the leg goes up and down when you move the gear lever.
Thank Brett

Billgran

"B. Mounsey" wrote in message
I have undone the bolts holding the leg on but it still seems to be held on
by the gear leave, the leg goes up and down when you move the gear lever.
Thank Brett

If your 30hp Johnson is from the late '70s or newer, the shift linkage is
fastened behind the 2 plastic water inlet screens. Remove the 2 Phillips
screws and the screens. Then use two 1/2" open end wrenches to remove the
upper nut, then use a pick or small screwdriver to remove the plastic
conical shaped retainer from the shift shaft. The gearcase can then be
lowered from the exhaust housing. It would be best to have a service manual
when you do this job. Be sure to use the engine's model number when you
order parts as there were changes during the early models.

Bill Grannis
service manager

LD

And yet another method!! If it's like my '81 25hp (J25RCIM) the foot
unbolts from the mid section and there's a plate about midway up the
midsection attached w/2 screws. When you remove the plate you are looking
at a (3/8 or 7/16") bolt head. Loosen that to disconnect the shift linkage.
Be sure you put it back together with the shifter and gearbox in the same
position as it was when you removed it. This is also an "adjuster" to allow
the shift fork and the shift lever to both be in the correct positions.
LD

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

"B. Mounsey" wrote in message
[...]

1973 Johnson Controls question.. WHAT THE HECK HOLDS THEM ON? [email protected] General 0 May 30th 04 04:38 PM
OT 1986 100hp Johnson VRO question? Mickey General 4 March 17th 04 08:00 AM
johnson lower unit help Tom K General 0 March 4th 04 03:12 AM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 04:18 AM
Power lift retrofit for 48 HP Johnson? Rural Knight General 0 August 8th 03 07:30 PM