Chris Rennert

Default Threw a rod?

Hello all,

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro V 150 on my Ranger 354V bass boat. I was running
today , probably about 10 minutes straight at about 3/4 throttle, when all
of a sudden (I don't know a whole lot about outboards) it sounded as if I
had thrown a rod (from previous car experience). I checked the oil
reservoir in both the main tank and the motor itself and they were both
full. I guess what I am asking is what other reason would something like
that happen? I mean is there something possibly could have done to prevent
it. I know it is kind of a loaded question since you don't know the history
of the motor itself. I have only owned it for 2 months myself , and I have
had other fuel related problems that I have had it in for since I bought it.
I also had my prop just redone because I dinged it up pretty good at one
point.
I know it is not a lot to go on, but I was just wondering why this may have
happened. Also what does a repair like this usually go for (ballpark of
course :-( )

Thanks everyone :-(

Chris

Tony Thomas

If indeed you broke a rod and it did not poke a hole in the block then you
are looking at:

1. Complete rebuild w/ new pistons, rings, bearings, cylinder bore, carb
rebuild, gaskets, etc... will cost about $3000 w/ labor and all.
2. You can go w/ a rebuilt powerhead for around $4000 w/ a 1 year warrenty
probably.
3. You might get buy w/ just rebuilding that hole but if you want to keep
it given it is 11 years old - I would go w/ a rebuilt powerhead.

As for why - 11 years old and fuel related problems are the reason.
Outboards don't like lean conditions at all. Lean means not enough oil
which equates to heat and meltdown. Also any water in the fuel will cause
scaring on the intake ports quickly which can create problems and potential
siezing of the piston. The real reason for a rod (chances are) is the
piston siezed and snapped the rod.

--
Tony
My Boats and Cars
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
[...]

Chris Rennert

Tony,

I also wanted to mention that the motor only had 209 hours on it. I don't
know if that makes much of a difference especially running in those
conditions.

Chris