otnmbrd

Default Interesting boat

Saw an interesting boat in the port today (I believe "Sunliner"?).
Twin screw with tunnels, fairly close to centerline. Props were about
18"-24" dia (was at a distance) with "posthole digger" like pitch - 4
blade. Surprisingly large squarish spade rudders.
Don't have a clue as to how well she will twin screw on her own, but
doesn't matter as she also had a bow and stern thruster.
Boat was @ 36-40 feet, and I figure with that setup, even "I" could
handle her around the dock.

otn
Bilgeman

otnmbrd shares:

-Saw an interesting boat in the port today (I believe "Sunliner"?).Twin screw
with tunnels, fairly close to centerline. Props were about 18"-24" dia (was at
a distance) with "posthole digger" like pitch - 4 blade. Surprisingly large
squarish spade rudders.Don't have a clue as to how well she will twin screw on
her own, but doesn't matter as she also had a bow and stern thruster.
Boat was @ 36-40 feet, and I figure with that setup, even "I" could handle her
around the dock.-

Bilge- Bow and stern thrusters on a 40' boat? Twin screws and twin rudders?
Jeeze...that sounds like the setup we had on the CS Global Link.

I wonder if he has GPS-based staion-keeping software to orchestrate all those
components, on the "Global" class, our GPS "Iron Mike" could stay within a 10
meter circle on the bottom.

Downsize all that and put it on 40' vessel, and I wouldn't be surprised to see
the thing as Prima Ballerina dancing Swan Lake.

Regards;

Mutiny is a Management Tool
Select Your Tattoo while Sober
otnmbrd

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I saw a 40 for or so Mainship up on the St. Lawrence Seaway this
summer that must have had the same configuration. The boats captain
literally pulled up parallel to the dock and went sidways between two
other yachts that were tied up at the same dock.

Slicker that snot.

Later,

Tom

G You don't necessarily need a thruster or thrusters to do that,
though it certainly does make it easier.

otn
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:48:38 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I saw a 40 for or so Mainship up on the St. Lawrence Seaway this
summer that must have had the same configuration. The boats captain
literally pulled up parallel to the dock and went sidways between two
other yachts that were tied up at the same dock.

Slicker that snot.

Later,

Tom

G You don't necessarily need a thruster or thrusters to do that,
though it certainly does make it easier.

I know - but this was so smooth, it had to be bow/stern thrusters.

Hell, his wife didn't even holler at him once!!!!

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

otnmbrd

Dan Krueger wrote:
Surface drives???

Dan

Mains? no
Thrusters? Bow thrust was hull mounted, stern thruster was external on
the transom

BTW, boat was closer to 40-45 feet and it was interesting as hell to
watch them take it off the top deck of a large car carrier, with it
hanging @ 100 feet in the air knowing it's weight to be @ 50,000 lbs.

otn

Chris Newport

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 8:13 pm in rec.boats otnmbrd wrote:

Saw an interesting boat in the port today (I believe "Sunliner"?).
Twin screw with tunnels, fairly close to centerline. Props were about
18"-24" dia (was at a distance) with "posthole digger" like pitch - 4
blade. Surprisingly large squarish spade rudders.
Don't have a clue as to how well she will twin screw on her own, but
doesn't matter as she also had a bow and stern thruster.
Boat was @ 36-40 feet, and I figure with that setup, even "I" could
handle her around the dock.

Sounds like a Trader Sunliner. http://www.tarquin-boats.com/
Your size estimate is a bit off - they start at 50 feet.

Exceedingly good boats.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

otnmbrd

Chris Newport wrote:

Sounds like a Trader Sunliner. http://www.tarquin-boats.com/
Your size estimate is a bit off - they start at 50 feet.

Exceedingly good boats.

Nope, that's not her. I'll try to get a closer look at the nameplate
later today. Pretty sure she was built in Europe at @$1.2 mil
otnmbrd

otnmbrd wrote:

Chris Newport wrote:

Sounds like a Trader Sunliner. http://www.tarquin-boats.com/
Your size estimate is a bit off - they start at 50 feet.

Exceedingly good boats.

Nope, that's not her. I'll try to get a closer look at the nameplate
later today. Pretty sure she was built in Europe at @$1.2 mil

Fastest I've ever seen a boat get offloaded and water borne ..... bloody
boat was gone by the time I got to port. Believe maker was Sunseeker and
it was 52 feet

Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
I need your advice for a new boat Kharlosan Cruising 24 November 19th 03 09:27 AM