Chris Rennert

Default Problem with outboard

Hey all,

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro V 150 on a Ranger 354v Bassboat. When I put it all
the way down, I start going really good, then it starts to sputter and the
RPMs drop in half. If I go back and pump the ball full of fuel, I can once
again start going without problems. I am wondering what the possible
problems were.
I just had it in , and they removed a electric Primer pump that was wired
incorrectly. They told me that the vaccum from the motor is fine (no
restrictions) . So I am not sure what the hell it can be, and thought I
would post it here and get some opinions, of things to look at.

Thanks again,

Chris

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:28:04 -0500, "Chris Rennert"
wrote:

Hey all,

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro V 150 on a Ranger 354v Bassboat. When I put it all
the way down, I start going really good, then it starts to sputter and the
RPMs drop in half. If I go back and pump the ball full of fuel, I can once
again start going without problems. I am wondering what the possible
problems were.
I just had it in , and they removed a electric Primer pump that was wired
incorrectly. They told me that the vaccum from the motor is fine (no
restrictions) . So I am not sure what the hell it can be, and thought I
would post it here and get some opinions, of things to look at.

Thanks again,

Replace the primer bulb first before you delve into the problem with
screwdrivers and wrenches.

Later,

Tom
LD

IF,,,,, you're not getting enough gas to run at high speed, are you able to
run the same amount of time at low speed? I suspect you're not getting full
fuel flow. I've never seen under the cover of the Yamaha but I assume you
have a diaphram fuel pump. If so, when's the last time you replaced the
diaphram and/or cleaned the screen? That's a likely place to look for a
fuel restriction.
LD
"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Hey all,

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro V 150 on a Ranger 354v Bassboat. When I put it

all
the way down, I start going really good, then it starts to sputter and the
RPMs drop in half. If I go back and pump the ball full of fuel, I can

once
again start going without problems. I am wondering what the possible
problems were.
I just had it in , and they removed a electric Primer pump that was wired
incorrectly. They told me that the vaccum from the motor is fine (no
restrictions) . So I am not sure what the hell it can be, and thought I
would post it here and get some opinions, of things to look at.

Thanks again,

Chris

Dan Krueger

Sounds like you are checking the bulb after it dies. Do you know if it is
collapsing before that point? If it is, you have a vent problem on your fuel tank.

Other common problems are fuel filter clogs and gummed up carbs.

One of the worst things could be your stator. I have heard of more than a few
that heat up and stop producing electricity - particularly at high speed and
after a bit of time. BIG bucks so I hope that's not it!

Dan

Chris Rennert wrote:
Hey all,

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro V 150 on a Ranger 354v Bassboat. When I put it all
the way down, I start going really good, then it starts to sputter and the
RPMs drop in half. If I go back and pump the ball full of fuel, I can once
again start going without problems. I am wondering what the possible
problems were.
I just had it in , and they removed a electric Primer pump that was wired
incorrectly. They told me that the vaccum from the motor is fine (no
restrictions) . So I am not sure what the hell it can be, and thought I
would post it here and get some opinions, of things to look at.

Thanks again,

Chris

Andy K.

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Hey all,

I have a 1993 Yamaha Pro V 150 on a Ranger 354v Bassboat. When I put it

all
the way down, I start going really good, then it starts to sputter and the
RPMs drop in half. If I go back and pump the ball full of fuel, I can

once
again start going without problems. I am wondering what the possible
problems were.
I just had it in , and they removed a electric Primer pump that was wired
incorrectly. They told me that the vaccum from the motor is fine (no
restrictions) . So I am not sure what the hell it can be, and thought I
would post it here and get some opinions, of things to look at.

Thanks again,

Chris

Will the engine run on a portable fuel tank? If it does you have ruled out
the engine as the problem. If it won't, you have ruled out the boats tank
and associated fuel system.