Harry Krause

W6JCW Bob wrote:
Harry, I use a Nikon D-100 exclusively now. I have a Nikon N-90 35mm SLR
as backup, as they both use the same AF lenses. My favorite lens is my 17
to 35mm zoom. It's wide enough to give you a bit of wide angle with the
digital camera and still work as a "Normal" lens. I use an Omega circular
polarizer for shots around water and always keep sky/UV filters on all my
lenses. I carry a 17-35, 28-70 and a 70-200 which I seldom use with the
digital All the lenses are Sigma APO HSM f2.8's except for the 17-35 which
is an f2.8-f4. I chose Sigma lenses after reading several reviews,
and just couldn't afford real Nikon lenses. I've had the D-100 for over a
year and love it. My photo software is a full version of Photoshop 7.0,
although I'm about ready to upgrade to Photoshop CE.

Harry Krause wrote in news:2r5d4aF16jph0U1@uni-
berlin.de:

Who is using what these days if you are into digital photography while
on the boat?

Yeah! I have a D100 and a D70 for backup...but...I like the D70 better.
In fact, I might trade the D100 in on some different gear. I'm looking
at the 60 mm macro lens; it'll be a 90 mm on the D70 and that's pretty
close to perfect for the "head shot" portraits I do for newsletters and
suchlike. I've also got the 70-200 zoom and the zoome that came with the
D70, plus a 105 2.5, which used to be one of my favorites, but with
digital is a little too long for portraits.

Sigman makes fine lenses.

I'm close to biting the bullet and buying PS CS. I've been messing with
the free trial for a while and though the software really is
complicated, it does lots of stuff more smoothly than some of the other
packages I've seen.

I'll look into that Omega polarizer...thanks for the tip.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

What, me worry?
Mike O'Dell

W6JCW Bob wrote:
[...]

Cameras, lenses, image "processing" software, printers, paper?

I've switched almost entirely from film to digital, and am still working
my way through the various software suites to find the one I like
(translation: does what I want-whatever that is at the moment-without
having to read 300 pages into the manual).

Anyone using lens filters out on the water to deepen, darken, lighten
skies and water?

If you're using a digital SLR, what's your favorite lens?

Just to get the ball rolling here.

If you like the Sigma lenses, you should check out the
Sigma digital SLR with the Foveon image sensor. don't
be fooled by it's "modest" pixel count.
it generates real RGB at *each* pixel - none of the
spatial artifacts you get with the usual filter group
structure. the effective resolution is at least 6x
the raw pixel count - comparing a Foveon with other
imaging arrays.

I believe Sigma is on their second generation (at least)
of the body - tweaks from field use, etc, etc.

no promises, but it's worth a looky

-mo

basskisser

Harry Krause wrote in message ...
Who is using what these days if you are into digital photography while
on the boat?

Cameras, lenses, image "processing" software, printers, paper?

I've switched almost entirely from film to digital, and am still working
my way through the various software suites to find the one I like
(translation: does what I want-whatever that is at the moment-without
having to read 300 pages into the manual).

Anyone using lens filters out on the water to deepen, darken, lighten
skies and water?

If you're using a digital SLR, what's your favorite lens?

Just to get the ball rolling here.

I use my digital camera for point and shoot type of stuff, but for
creative photography, I still use a 35mm SLR. I like the versatility
of it. I can be more creative with my 35mm SLR at the time the picture
is taken. Most of the creativity in digital is done with the software,
the darkroom so to speak. With good software, though, you can make
quite dramatic affects, without using filters, etc. Adobe Photoshop is
very nice.
Harry Krause

basskisser wrote:
[...]

I dunno. My digital SLRs are far more complex in their abilities to mess
around with picture taking than my Canon film SLR ever was...

I shot nothing but 'chromes for years for the great color of the film
and so they could be examined under first generation conditions to
determine what was good enough to publish. But the ability to mess with
a first-generation digital photo with a good software suite and not have
generational losses as you save and reload and peel away, et
cetera...this makes digital photographer a real boon.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of
them, who is arrogant about his ignorance, who is reckless and
incompetent, and whose backers are turning the United States into a pariah.

What, me worry?

I use a Canon S45 digital. I just bought my girlfriend an Olympus Stylus
300 which is "water resistant". I like the camera a bit better because
of this and its smaller size but haven't used it much yet. I burn a CDROM
of the photos and take it to Costco for 14 cent/copy prints (cheaper
and faster than an inkjet printer).

On the plus slide of the S45, it takes 3 minute video and sound clips which
is nice sometimes (although not the quality that a camcorder would take).

b.

RGrew176

After 2 months of research I finally decided on a Kocak Easy Share DX6490
digital camera.

So far it has been great. It is 4.0 megapixels. It has a 10X optical zoom and a
3X digital zoom. It can also shoot video although I don't believe it to be
quite the quality of a video camera but I have only toyed with the video
portion of the camera.

The 4.0 megapixels is supposedly good for prints up to 20" by 30". I have made
several 4 X 6 prints and the quality, in my eyes is almost as good as a regular
old 35 mm print if not as good.

There are several modes of operation. Auto where the camera does all the work
and you just point and shoot.

Manual mode where you can be creative.

Sport mode for subjects that are in motion.

Portrait for full frame portraits of people. It allows the subject to be sharp
and the background indistinct.

Night mode for night scenes or low light conditions. For this mode a tripod is
recommended because of the slow shutter speeds. I am waiting for the next full
moon and plan to take several shots especially in full 10X optical zoom and the
additional 3X digital to check out the quality of the photographs.

Lastly there is video mode. You can take snippits of 5 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec or
unlimited limited only by the amount of memory available.

There is a burst option whereby you can take a series of 6 photos in rapid
succession 3 per second for sporting events or objects in motion.

You can even adjust the picture quality from the full 4.0 megapixels down to
3.5, 2.1 or 1.1 depending on the quality desired.

I have had the camera since late may and I currently have over 300 photos
downloaded onto my computers hard drive. I have shot everything from portraits
and still scened to athletic events to moving boats and even jets and I am very
happy with the quality of the shots.

I am not going to say that it is better than the good old 35 mm cameras of the
past but for now my Ricoh 35 mm camera is in mothballs until I see the need to
use it again. Digital works great for me. BTW I paid $399 plux tax for mine at
Circuit City. I don't know if the price has come down since then but either way
I am happy with my purchase and my decision to go with Kodak.

Harry, it's worth checking out at the very least. Good luck with your purchase.
It would allow you to take great pics of GWB's inauguration next January. Just
kidding, I know you would not be there unless Mr. Kerry wins. Anyway check it
out there are many, many different digital cameras to choose from. I am
surprised it only took me two months to decide on mine. When I bought the Ricoh
I spent a year researching cameras before I decided on that one.
Harry Krause

RGrew176 wrote:

I am not going to say that it is better than the good old 35 mm cameras of the
past but for now my Ricoh 35 mm camera is in mothballs until I see the need to
use it again. Digital works great for me. BTW I paid $399 plux tax for mine at
Circuit City. I don't know if the price has come down since then but either way
I am happy with my purchase and my decision to go with Kodak.

Harry, it's worth checking out at the very least. Good luck with your purchase.
It would allow you to take great pics of GWB's inauguration next January. Just
kidding, I know you would not be there unless Mr. Kerry wins. Anyway check it
out there are many, many different digital cameras to choose from. I am
surprised it only took me two months to decide on mine. When I bought the Ricoh
I spent a year researching cameras before I decided on that one.

I have a couple of digital cameras and, in fact, recently sold off my
35mm film camera. My wife, though, prefers her little 35 mm film camera.

As for Bush, if he is elected, we're facing a future of terror on our
soil perpetrated by the growing number of radical Islamists who hate him
and his misbegotten war on the wrong people. Bet on it.