basskisser

Cleesturtle1 wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:33:11 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

I switched to digital and in fact recently sold off my film SLR.

Welcome to the early ninties dimwit. Prices for digital cameras have
finally fell low enough for folks who say "Would ya like fries with
that?" for aliving, can afford them. But of course, you know that now.

My
wife, though, prefers a small film camera she can tuck in her purse when
she travels.

And where exactly does your cousin "travel" to?

I've never gotten involved in home movies or videos. I figured it was
ocmplicated enought holding and focusing a camera for one steady shot!

read: Ive never had the smarts or money to get into video.

I'm still experimenting to find the "right" digital software package.

Dont worry...theres a lot of freeware out there.

I've been playing around a little with the trial version of Adobe's
Photoshop CS, but man, it is complicated, but it is one of the few that
reads the "raw" images my digital camera outputs.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahh!

Here you go again...trying to impress the group, only for it to
backfire in your face...

Photoshop is one of the most user freindly software packages out
there...I have been using it for many years. Its obvious you have
never used it. And I like the your use of the buzzword "raw"...nice
try idiot. LOL!

Oh, really? So, what red saturation index do you typically use for
portraits? How about unfiltered scenics? How do YOU decide a
particular picture's sharpness needs?
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:40:08 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Who is using what these days if you are into digital photography while
on the boat?

Cameras, lenses, image "processing" software, printers, paper?

I've switched almost entirely from film to digital, and am still working
my way through the various software suites to find the one I like
(translation: does what I want-whatever that is at the moment-without
having to read 300 pages into the manual).

Anyone using lens filters out on the water to deepen, darken, lighten
skies and water?

If you're using a digital SLR, what's your favorite lens?

Just to get the ball rolling here.

Both actually. I have a restored F1 35 mm that a photographer at my
Dad's newspaper gave me when I was discharged from the service. It
has a full set of lenses including a massive 600mm Tele. I prefer the
35 mm format with Fuji film of differing speeds for most work - it's
fairly easy to have pictures put into hi-res digital format when they
are processed - I got out the personal processing deal a long time ago
- it's easier to have a lab do it then play with the digital images.

As to lenses, most of the work I do is with a standard 50 mm, but I am
partial to a 60/180 telephoto a lot.

As to digital, I'm not sold on the digital SLR format yet. I've seen
some good work done with digital SLRs by competant photographers, but
there is nothing like good paper and a real lens to capture a picture.
I have two Olympus digital cameras - a C-500 and a little point and
shoot 1.3 megapixel thingy that works really well.

As to software, I noticed a little on down that you used the trial
version of Adobe - it's a PITA and I don't like it. I have used,
since the begining lo those many years ago and it was version .8, is
Paint Shop Pro - now up to Version 8. It's not intuitive, I'll give
you that, but the results are amazing once you get used to it. And
it's much easier to learn than Adobe.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Harry Krause

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

If you're using a digital SLR, what's your favorite lens?

Just to get the ball rolling here.

Both actually. I have a restored F1 35 mm that a photographer at my
Dad's newspaper gave me when I was discharged from the service. It
has a full set of lenses including a massive 600mm Tele. I prefer the
35 mm format with Fuji film of differing speeds for most work - it's
fairly easy to have pictures put into hi-res digital format when they
are processed - I got out the personal processing deal a long time ago
- it's easier to have a lab do it then play with the digital images.

Hot damn! I remember the F. It was a fine camera. Still is. I used one
in the early 1960s to defend myself from a couple of bozo klowns in
Bogalusa. Borrowed it from the school photo lab. Had a wide drab green
web strap. Used the strap to swing the camera and smack upside the head
a nice fellow who wanted to beat up the student driver of our car
because...because...because...because he was black. Put a small dent in
the chrome trim, but did not damage the camera.

As to lenses, most of the work I do is with a standard 50 mm, but I am
partial to a 60/180 telephoto a lot.

You ever encounter the 180 f2.5? What a chunka glass!

As to digital, I'm not sold on the digital SLR format yet. I've seen
some good work done with digital SLRs by competant photographers, but
there is nothing like good paper and a real lens to capture a picture.
I have two Olympus digital cameras - a C-500 and a little point and
shoot 1.3 megapixel thingy that works really well.

As to software, I noticed a little on down that you used the trial
version of Adobe - it's a PITA and I don't like it. I have used,
since the begining lo those many years ago and it was version .8, is
Paint Shop Pro - now up to Version 8. It's not intuitive, I'll give
you that, but the results are amazing once you get used to it. And
it's much easier to learn than Adobe.

Later,

Tom

I messed with PSP for a couple of weeks..the newer one that includes
ability to read Nikon digital NEFs. It's a good program. But so far, I
think I like Adobe better.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody and Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either

What, me worry?
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:20:42 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

[...]

I don't know if you remember back that far, but the Boston Hearld
American won a Pulitzer for new photo in the late '60s of a little
girl falling after being released by her mother on a burning fire
escape and the fire fighters waiting to catch her?

This camera took that picture.

[...]

I have this argument all the time with friends and relatives.

To each their own. :)

Later,

Tom

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

You ever encounter the 180 f2.5? What a chunka glass!

Yes and even bigger. I can't remeber the size, but it was used to
take 35 mm pictures of stars - damn lens had two tri-pods to hold it
in place.

Later,

Tom

Harry Krause

wrote:

You ever encounter the 180 f2.5? What a chunka glass!

Yes and even bigger. I can't remeber the size, but it was used to
take 35 mm pictures of stars - damn lens had two tri-pods to hold it
in place.

Later,

Tom

There was a fellow named Rich Clarkson who some decades ago was the
absolutely best sports photog around...he worked the mid-west, mostly
Big 8 and pro, and he was the only one I ever met who could successfully
hand-hold the 180 INDOORS at b-ball and track and field events. Great
photographer.

--
We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
son of Howdy Doody and Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either
of them, who is arrogant about his ignorance, who is reckless and
incompetent, and whose backers are turning the United States into a pariah.

What, me worry?
Wayne.B

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:12:11 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

And
it's much easier to learn than Adobe.

====================================

Almost anything is easier in my opinion but my brother-in-law is in
the ad business and says that Adobe has become the defacto standard
with the pros he works with.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

And
it's much easier to learn than Adobe.

====================================

Almost anything is easier in my opinion but my brother-in-law is in
the ad business and says that Adobe has become the defacto standard
with the pros he works with.

Does Adobe work on Macs?

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Garth Almgren

wrote:

Almost anything is easier in my opinion but my brother-in-law is in
the ad business and says that Adobe has become the defacto standard
with the pros he works with.

Does Adobe work on Macs?

Yep.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
W6JCW Bob

Harry, I use a Nikon D-100 exclusively now. I have a Nikon N-90 35mm SLR
as backup, as they both use the same AF lenses. My favorite lens is my 17
to 35mm zoom. It's wide enough to give you a bit of wide angle with the
digital camera and still work as a "Normal" lens. I use an Omega circular
polarizer for shots around water and always keep sky/UV filters on all my
lenses. I carry a 17-35, 28-70 and a 70-200 which I seldom use with the
digital All the lenses are Sigma APO HSM f2.8's except for the 17-35 which
is an f2.8-f4. I chose Sigma lenses after reading several reviews,
and just couldn't afford real Nikon lenses. I've had the D-100 for over a
year and love it. My photo software is a full version of Photoshop 7.0,
although I'm about ready to upgrade to Photoshop CE.

Harry Krause wrote in news:2r5d4aF16jph0U1@uni-
berlin.de: