Wayne.B

Default Emergency diesel shutdown

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 10:12:43 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:
Shut off the fuel supply, block the air intake and keep a load on the
engine. You sure as hell don't want to pump CO2 down the airpipe.

=========================

Sounds about right to me. I'd start with shutting off the fuel. That
will work about 99.9% of the time. There's a rare condition however
where the engine will continue to run on it's own crankcase oil, which
gets quickly consumed with disasterous consequences. For that, you
need a way to cut off the air intake.

I once had a dangerous and freak condition where a small sailboat
diesel continued to run at high revs after I had shut it down. As
soon as the engine compartment was opened it stopped running but not
before the smell of gasoline fumes hit me. It turned out that a small
amount of dinghy gas had spilled into the bilge and the diesel was
running on the fumes!

Lucky we weren't blown up.