Jaz

Default Diesel refit for existing Crysler 318 with V-drive?

I'm looking at '72 Silverton with a gas Crysler 318 engine in poor
condition.
Can anybody sugest a diesel that will bolt up to its existing V-drive?
(All my large boats have been diesels, and I really don't want gas)
Where might I look for a used Yanmar 6LYA? Should I be wary of the GM
6.2L or 6.5L V8 diesels? (would either of these bolt up?)
Thanks
Calif Bill

"Jaz" wrote in message

I'm looking at '72 Silverton with a gas Crysler 318 engine in poor
condition.
Can anybody sugest a diesel that will bolt up to its existing V-drive?
(All my large boats have been diesels, and I really don't want gas)
Where might I look for a used Yanmar 6LYA? Should I be wary of the GM
6.2L or 6.5L V8 diesels? (would either of these bolt up?)
Thanks

There is a company marinizing the Cummin's out of the Dodge trucks. You may
require bigger prop shaft with a diesel, due to the torque. And with
adapter plates, most engines can bolt up to any tranny.
Bill

Larry

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:36:19 GMT, Jaz wrote:

I'm looking at '72 Silverton with a gas Crysler 318 engine in poor
condition.
Can anybody sugest a diesel that will bolt up to its existing V-drive?
(All my large boats have been diesels, and I really don't want gas)
Where might I look for a used Yanmar 6LYA? Should I be wary of the GM
6.2L or 6.5L V8 diesels? (would either of these bolt up?)
Thanks

I own a 6.2L GM diesel in an old Air Force stepvan. It runs ok, but
I'd never bet my life on a GM auto diesel, given its terrible
history....It's not a Detroit Diesel by any stretch of the
imagination.

Yanmar, on the other hand, is a strong runner. When I worked at the
Charleston Naval Shipyard, a painting contractor painted our huge
electric/electronics shop building with 6 sprayers running off a
Yanmar 3GM (I think) driving a paint pump. The poor engine would
never rust it had so much paint splattered on it. They cooled it with
a garden hose hooked to the building's spigot and just drained the
water into the street. I bumped into one of the painters taking a
break near the pump, one afternoon after it had been pumping paint for
nearly a week and asked him how much trouble the engine gave them and
how much maintenance it got. "We change the oil about once a month.",
he said flatly. "It's never given us any trouble." I think being
beat to death on every job, 24/7, speaks volumes for Yanmar, don't
you? No boater would ever do to his Yanmar what these guys did to
theirs.....and it just took it....for over 4 years!

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.