Rick

Default Emergency diesel shutdown

James Johnson wrote:

It powered an AC emergency generator for a 7,000 ton missile sub

Oh, a nuke. I wasn't aware that they used Clevelands on the nuke boats.
All I ever saw on them was the little FM's.

Real subs 8-)like I sailed on used 268's or short FM's as there wasn't
enough width for the 278's in the engine room lower level.

Rick

Rick

Karl Denninger wrote:

The reason I raise this in relationship to pressure gauges is that there
are "psig" gauges that are indeed sealed. Scuba pressure gauges are an
example - if they were open to ambient then salt water would corrode the
bejzeezus out of them, so they aren't, yet they still read in "psig".

Karl, those gauges are not "sealed" in the sense of having the bourdon
tube within a pressure capsule. They are sealed and oil filled only for
the purposes of keeping water out of the mechanism. They are subject to
ambient pressure through the oil filling. If they were accurate enough
and had a wide enough scale you would see that they do respond to sea
pressure as they display the differential between tank pressure and sea
pressure.

On our manned deep diving submersibles we placed pressure gauges inside
the pressure hull to read the contents off oxygen and air tanks located
outside the pressure hull. Otherwise they pressure displayed would drop
with increasing depth as any bourdon tube gauge only reads a
differential across the tube.

Rick

James Johnson

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:29:00 GMT, Rick wrote:

James Johnson wrote:

It powered an AC emergency generator for a 7,000 ton missile sub

Oh, a nuke. I wasn't aware that they used Clevelands on the nuke boats.
All I ever saw on them was the little FM's.

Real subs 8-)like I sailed on used 268's or short FM's as there wasn't
enough width for the 278's in the engine room lower level.

The SSN-585's (Skipjack class) and the SSBN-598's (George Washington class) had
the diesels in the lower level machinery space on the centerline aft of the
reactor, pretty much filled the whole level. Lighting them off while snorkeling
was a contortionists nightmare - simultaneously operating controls and
monitoring gages that were in front and in back of you. The human engineering
of pretty much everything on those old boats was non-existant. They were rush
through designs from the height of the cold war. The 598's were 585's with a
missile compartment added. The George Washington was originally going to be the
Scorpion (which sank in 68), they cut it apart on the ways and added the missile
compartment.

JJ

Rick

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply