Bill Kiene

Default "Deep Six" those big old 2 strokes now

There are tons of old boats around with large (over 100hp) old 2 strokes
that are no longer worth the trouble especially with labor, parts and fuel
costs.

If you are mechanically inclined and the boat is free, that could be another
story and a hobbyist's dream. For most though it will be a "nightmare".

PS: They might make a good mooring?

--
Bill Kiene

Clams Canino

This is either a troll, or the most inane comment I've seen today.

There is though, an active conspiricy amongst the dealers to get these
things off the water. This includes inflated labor rates, inflated parts
costs, and poorly trained service personell who don't know how to work on
them properly.

Since they are so simple to work on... I surely wouldn't take a newer, more
complex, outboard to any shop that couldn't properly troubleshoot or tune up
a 1980 140hp Merc.

-W

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
m...
There are tons of old boats around with large (over 100hp) old 2 strokes
that are no longer worth the trouble especially with labor, parts and fuel
costs.

If you are mechanically inclined and the boat is free, that could be

another
story and a hobbyist's dream. For most though it will be a "nightmare".

PS: They might make a good mooring?

--
Bill Kiene

Clams Canino

I'm counting on that....

-W

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Absurd. there are tens of thousands of strong-running older two cycle
outboards around.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:57:31 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

I'm counting on that....

-W

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Absurd. there are tens of thousands of strong-running older two cycle
outboards around.

Here's a curiosity question.

What is going to happen with all these older outboards when teh 2006
EPA standards take effect?

Later,

Tom
LaBomba182

Subject: "Deep Six" those big old 2 strokes now
From: Short Wave Sportfishing

Here's a curiosity question.

What is going to happen with all these older outboards when teh 2006
EPA standards take effect?

Nothing as I understand it. They're grandfathered in.

Capt. Bill

Greg

What is going to happen with all these older outboards when teh 2006
EPA standards take effect?

Nothing as I understand it. They're grandfathered in.

Capt. Bill

I suppose it really depends on the state you are in. Ask anyone with an old car
what they have to go through in some states.
CCred68046

This is either a troll, or the most inane comment I've seen today.

You tell 'em Clams
Matt Lang

"Clams Canino" wrote in message hlink.net...
This is either a troll, or the most inane comment I've seen today.

There is though, an active conspiricy amongst the dealers to get these
things off the water. This includes inflated labor rates, inflated parts
costs, and poorly trained service personell who don't know how to work on
them properly.

Since they are so simple to work on... I surely wouldn't take a newer, more
complex, outboard to any shop that couldn't properly troubleshoot or tune up
a 1980 140hp Merc.

Clams,

I agree its BS. Aside from that, large 2 strokes have 200+ HP not 100+ HP

Matt
Greg

I think there is a place for 2 strokes and a place for 4 strokes. If you are
really interested in running an appreciable portion of WOT all the time you
need a 2 stroke.
If you are content to cruise at 3000-3500 RPM a 4 stroke is probably for you.
Clams Canino

Today they do.... but I think he meant "large" as in 100 and **up**.

It take a minimum of about 90hp at the propshaft to propel your "average"
family runnabout and be able to use it for fishing / skiing / tubing etc.
Granted, tournament bass boats need a bit more corn to be competative.

Two stroke outboards broke "the 100 hp barrier" in 1962 with the Merc 1000
that was featured in popular mechanics magazine.

A quick flurry of improvements saw the "Tower of Power" go to 110, 125, 135,
140, and 150hp over the next 10 years. Between 1962 and 1988 Mercury made
hundreds of thousands of these critters, each *still* quite capable of
powering a brand new runnabout.

-W (who has new Seaswirl runnabout with about 50 hours on the hull, powered
by a 16 year old Tower. Order it "Mercury pre-rig please!" and go find your
own Tower hehe )