Don White

Default O/T 'Canned hunting' on CNN

Anyone watch the item on 'canned hunting' tonight?
Can't believe that practice is allowed to continue... and Texas is the
worst offender.
I say...roundup those so called hunters, dress them in USArmy fatigues, ship
them to Iraq to be used as human bait.
They could draw out the terrorist ambushers where the real army could
dispose of them.

Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
Anyone watch the item on 'canned hunting' tonight?
Can't believe that practice is allowed to continue... and Texas is the
worst offender.
I say...roundup those so called hunters, dress them in USArmy fatigues,

ship
them to Iraq to be used as human bait.
They could draw out the terrorist ambushers where the real army could
dispose of them.

What's that? The deal where the animals are contained in a fenced in area
and the hunters "stalk" them?

Don White

That's it...in this case the fenced in area was small and the hunter pays
money so he can walk right up to some of the prey.
They also had some pretty exotic animals..such as tigers, lions etc wqhere
the great white hunters had a safe place in a bunker or platform and the
cats were let out of a cage to be gunned down before they could getaway.
One case had what looked like a mountain goat standing at a fence with an
arrow sticking out of it's back.
It seemed to sense what was coming and starred out through the links. The
'hunter walked up, fully clothed in camo, to within
20 feet or so and shot another arrow into the animal.
If these guys are that desperate to kill...send them to Iraq.

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:
That's it...in this case the fenced in area was small and the hunter pays
money so he can walk right up to some of the prey.
They also had some pretty exotic animals..such as tigers, lions etc wqhere
the great white hunters had a safe place in a bunker or platform and the
cats were let out of a cage to be gunned down before they could getaway.
One case had what looked like a mountain goat standing at a fence with an
arrow sticking out of it's back.
It seemed to sense what was coming and starred out through the links. The
'hunter walked up, fully clothed in camo, to within
20 feet or so and shot another arrow into the animal.
If these guys are that desperate to kill...send them to Iraq.

Even non-canned hunting doesn't seem especially sporting.

Couple of big guys go out in a field with a couple of dogs. The dogs go
ahead and scare little birds out of the brush. As the little birds try
to escape, the guys blast them with shotgun pellets.

Guys sit up in a tree, make deer deer, elk, moose calls. Moose moves in,
thinks he's going to get laid. Guys open up with high-powered rifles and
kill the critter.

Guys sit in a blind near a body of water. Fake ducks or geese are
floating in front of them. Guys make duck/goosing sounding noises. Birds
fly in, get blasted.

Yep. It surely is a manly "sport."

--
Email sent to is never read.
Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message
That's it...in this case the fenced in area was small and the hunter pays
money so he can walk right up to some of the prey.
They also had some pretty exotic animals..such as tigers, lions etc wqhere
the great white hunters had a safe place in a bunker or platform and the
cats were let out of a cage to be gunned down before they could getaway.
One case had what looked like a mountain goat standing at a fence with an
arrow sticking out of it's back.
It seemed to sense what was coming and starred out through the links. The
'hunter walked up, fully clothed in camo, to within
20 feet or so and shot another arrow into the animal.
If these guys are that desperate to kill...send them to Iraq.

That's total bull****. Those people should be hunted the same way.
Maybe...just MAYBE, I can see hunting deer that way, because you can eat
them, but tigers??? What the ****???

Don White

Some of the small 'game reserves' said they used the money raised ($2k for
lion) to help other amimals.
Some of the places had quite a 'meatchart' of prices.

Doug Kanter wrote in message

That's total bull****. Those people should be hunted the same way.
Maybe...just MAYBE, I can see hunting deer that way, because you can eat
them, but tigers??? What the ****???

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Even non-canned hunting doesn't seem especially sporting.

Couple of big guys go out in a field with a couple of dogs. The dogs go
ahead and scare little birds out of the brush. As the little birds try
to escape, the guys blast them with shotgun pellets.

Guys sit up in a tree, make deer deer, elk, moose calls. Moose moves in,
thinks he's going to get laid. Guys open up with high-powered rifles and
kill the critter.

Guys sit in a blind near a body of water. Fake ducks or geese are
floating in front of them. Guys make duck/goosing sounding noises. Birds
fly in, get blasted.

Yep. It surely is a manly "sport."

I disagree, but based only on being very familiar with the way some REAL
hunters hunt. My former neighbor's dad has about 1000 acres an hour south of
Rochester. I went "hunting" with him on that land a couple of years ago. He
brought no weapons of any kind. We spent the weekend stalking deer. He took
written notes which enabled him to identify the one he wanted. He did this
for 3 weeks afterward. Then, he brought his bow with him and got the deer
he'd chosen. A week later, he got a permit for another. I'm not sure how
that works, but I think it's got something to do with the fact that we're
overrun with deer. He took another month to choose and take the right one,
this time with a long gun.

This guy's not that unusual. I've met his neighbors down at the farmland.
They're the same way. They go out for 40 hours and come back with one deer,
just enough for their families.

There are slobs, and there are artists. It's not much different from people
who fish, and pigs who snag salmon with enormous treble hooks, all the while
keeping their eyes peeled for the DEC game warden.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Well, I see no need to get into a discussion of fishing versus hunting,
but I will point out a few differences. I just don't see hunting as
"sporting."

1. Fishing from a boat in salt water (and some bodies of fresh water) is
inherently dangerous for several reasons, including incurring the wrath
of mother nature in terms of the weather, falling overboard and
drowning, et cetera, or incurring the wrath of the fish in terms of
being bit. I have incurred these wraths, so to speak.

2. Catch and release fishing is becoming more popular, and as fishermen
get more used to this, more of the fish survive. Very few critters who
are blasted by guns can be released.

3. While sport fishermen attempt to attract their prey with bait, if
they do, they still have to hook and reel in the fish. If you get a deer
within your sights, and you're within range, the deer is dead.

Mind you, I have no problem with someone who goes out to shoot an animal
to put food on the table. But I feel better about it when the animal has
at least a sporting chance, eh?

Hey, when I go out to kill skeet, at least I miss a few. Sometimes.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:38:03 +0000, Harry Krause wrote:

Don White wrote:
[...]

"A hunter crouches in his blind,
'Neath camouflage of every kind.
And conjures up a quacking noise
To lend allure to his decoys.
This grown-up man, with pluck and luck
Is hoping to outwit a duck."
- Ogden Nash

Lloyd - Occasionally Literary

erich

But they get a photo of themselves with their foot on a big dead
animal while holding a high caliber rifle. Might not be so easy in
Iraq.
However, all they gotta' do is go down to the local meat-packing
plant....
Maybe the head of an Angus calf wouldn't be quite the same, but I
doubt their buds would know it wasn't from the charge of a rabid,
"Lesser Angus" water buffalo.
Takes a lot of balls to stand in front of a charge like that.