Doug Kanter

Default O/T 'Canned hunting' on CNN

"Greg" wrote in message
Yes. Likes to eat fish, but refuses to keep
anything he catches.

Another person who doesn't want to kill but doesn't hesitate to hire a hit

man.

I kept reminding him about that every time he wanted to go to Wendy's for
lunch. He pointed out that I was nagging him, and he was right. I'd rather
he come fishing with me and put all the fish back. I get to keep enough when
I fish alone.

Doug Kanter

"Clams Canino" wrote in message

In *both* fishing and hunting the objective is to convince your prey that
it's gonna get a free meal or get laid. Then when it falls for the

routine,
you get a *chance* to put it in the car or the boat.

I'm not sure how "sporting" any of it all is - but it's far from a certain
meal either. It's not easy to outsmart a deer, most birds, or some types

of
fish.

None of this has anything to do with the canned hunting of exotic animals
for trophies - which I think is sickening.

-W

Browse messages at rec.hunting for a week or two and you'll get a real taste
of what SOME hunters are like. There seems to be a subculture of guys who
pack up the whole dang family and a bunch of .22 rifles, and find a place to
shoot prairie dogs for a couple of days. Maybe prairie dogs are a pest to
somebody, but still, these people are from another friggin' planet.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Republicans, no doubt.

--
Email sent to is never read.
basskisser

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

I disagree, but based only on being very familiar with the way some REAL
hunters hunt. My former neighbor's dad has about 1000 acres an hour

south of
Rochester.

Avoca, Bath area?

East Bloomfield, around routes 5 & 20.

Ah, I know the area, somewhat. I used to live in Avoca, if you know
where that is. I lived on Neil's Creek, a nice trout stream. Was funny
to watch on April 1st as the city boys invaded in there brand new
Orvis gear, thousand dollar fly rods, etc. I knew every fish holding
hole in the creek, and would come out, poor farm boy, with my Mitchell
300 that was older than I was, and start pulling fish! They'd even try
to BUY fish from me!

The Brooklyn hunters who infect the Catskills are quite a crew, too. All
amateurs. When I was in college, my roommate and I were sitting in the
Roscoe Diner when a NYS trooper walked in and sat down a few stools away. We
were hoping that the neon "We Are Stoned" signs on our foreheads weren't
noticeable. There were a bunch of hunters in the parking lot admiring each
others' new guns, new orange vests, etc. Suddenly....BLAM! One of the idiots
shot out the windshield of the trooper's car. Poor cop shook his head, says
to the waitress "Oh no....they're back", and goes outside & starts
collecting guns and taking names.

Around here, at least 2-3 hunters are killed each year, either with their
own guns, falling out of tree stands, or due to the stupidity of their
hunting partners. My former landlord was shot in the leg with an arror by
another hunter. He was in a tree stand on totally flat land, wearing blaze
orange. I guess he looked like one of them thar tree deer. :-)

We used to hate it when they invaded our local bar, we were just
country boys, and for various reasons, some legal, we wanted to be
left alone. They drew cops around us, and generally raised hell, which
was OUR vocation!

Greg

First of all, only a really sick individual would have *anything* to
do with canned hunting..

Isn't the Purdue chicken farm the ultimate "canned hunt"?

Doug Kanter

om...

I disagree, but based only on being very familiar with the way some

REAL
hunters hunt. My former neighbor's dad has about 1000 acres an hour

south of
Rochester.

Avoca, Bath area?

East Bloomfield, around routes 5 & 20.

Ah, I know the area, somewhat. I used to live in Avoca, if you know
where that is.

Yeah. Travelling between Rochester & Corning, I've always intended to stop
and spend some time fishing the Cohocton. But, I never seem to have time.
I'm addicted to the Chemung. :-)

I lived on Neil's Creek, a nice trout stream. Was funny
to watch on April 1st as the city boys invaded in there brand new
Orvis gear, thousand dollar fly rods, etc. I knew every fish holding
hole in the creek, and would come out, poor farm boy, with my Mitchell
300 that was older than I was, and start pulling fish! They'd even try
to BUY fish from me!

We see them here, too, mostly on Oatka Creek near Scottsville. They all
Trout Unlimited members, and they like to give speeches about how flies hurt
trout less than a Mepps with a treble hook. Never mind that the fish never
swallow my lures because I change the hooks to larger ones just for trout,
and that I can unhook a fish and put it back in under 10 seconds, while
they're doing surgery for 5 minutes with their Orvis wonder tool. :-)

[...]

I always sorta wonder about some of those local joints out in the farmlands.
:-)

Clams Canino

No.

It's a farm - a business where chickens are systemicly hatched , raised,
grown, and slaughtered for our meat. No one takes any sick pleasure in
chasing, shooting or scaring them. (at least I hope there isn't a serial
killer wannabe in the slaughter dept.!)

-W

"Greg" wrote in message

Isn't the Purdue chicken farm the ultimate "canned hunt"?

Greg

No.

It's a farm - a business where chickens are systemicly hatched , raised,
grown, and slaughtered for our meat. No one takes any sick pleasure in
chasing, shooting or scaring them. (at least I hope there isn't a serial
killer wannabe in the slaughter dept.!)

You know I bet the chicken doesn't really care how much pleasure the killer
has.

BTW that is EXACTLY where I want the mass murderers working. It is a lot better
than having them at the Post Office.
Clams Canino

snicker

-W