Gary

Default Depth vs draft

OK...I know...this is probably a stupid question, but then again you know
the old saying about the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked,
so here goes.

I always assumed that the draft of a boat was...for lack of a better term,
how deep it ran in the water at the lowest point. I am purchasing a boat
right now, and the survey results listed the boat as having a DRAFT of 3
feet, but a DEPTH of 5 feet. I kinda assumed these were the same thing, but
obviously I was wrong.

I can only imagine now that the draft must be the how deep the hull runs and
the depth must be how deep the rudders / wheels etc. run.

Am I even close?

Thanks!

Netsock

"Gary" wrote in message
r.com...
OK...I know...this is probably a stupid question, but then again you know
the old saying about the only stupid question is the one that goes

unasked,
so here goes.

I always assumed that the draft of a boat was...for lack of a better term,
how deep it ran in the water at the lowest point. I am purchasing a boat
right now, and the survey results listed the boat as having a DRAFT of 3
feet, but a DEPTH of 5 feet. I kinda assumed these were the same thing,

but
obviously I was wrong.

I can only imagine now that the draft must be the how deep the hull runs

and
the depth must be how deep the rudders / wheels etc. run.

Am I even close?

Thanks!

Draft is explained as pertaining to the lowest part of the hull, measured to
the water line, and can vary depending on how much weight is on board, and
where its placed. Some claim it can change for a planning hull, while on
plane, but I have always heard it measured "at rest". Running gear is
normally not included, but I know many folks (mostly smaller craft owners)
who claim their draft, is the lowest part of the boat period.

I've never heard of "depth", but Ill assume that is the lowest part of the
running gear...providing its lower than the hull draft. My ski boat, for
example, has a draft of about 12". Add the running gear, and my lowest point
is 26". Now my jet boat has a draft of 10"...and that the lowest point of
the whole boat...running gear included. It can also transverse 5" of water
at speed, but I've never done it.

I/Os and outboards can of course vary their lowest point, by trimming up. I
see this being done all the time in the canals, as not to tear up their
prop, but they also give up some controllability when they operate that way.

And of course big displacement ships like liners and tankers, draft is the
draft, as their running gear is "behind" the hull, and does not protrude
below it.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Curtis CCR

"Gary" wrote in message . rr.com...
OK...I know...this is probably a stupid question, but then again you know
the old saying about the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked,
so here goes.

I always assumed that the draft of a boat was...for lack of a better term,
how deep it ran in the water at the lowest point. I am purchasing a boat
right now, and the survey results listed the boat as having a DRAFT of 3
feet, but a DEPTH of 5 feet. I kinda assumed these were the same thing, but
obviously I was wrong.

I can only imagine now that the draft must be the how deep the hull runs and
the depth must be how deep the rudders / wheels etc. run.

The difference that I am aware of between depth and draft has to do
with capacity calculations. "Depth" is measured in a straight line
from the low point of the hull to the top of the hull. I am probably
not explaining this right --- The depth of a boat includes the
portions of the hull that are above and below the water. If you were
able to fill your boat to the top of the hull with water, how deep
would the water be?

So if you your boat has a 3 ft draft, but 5 ft depth, I would assume
that you have about 2 of freeboard at midship when loaded to capacity.
My boat only draws about 2.5 to 3 ft of water, but the documentation
says the depth is 6 ft. There's about 3 feet of *hull* above the
water at the middle of the boat.
otnmbrd

Gary wrote:
OK...I know...this is probably a stupid question, but then again you know
the old saying about the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked,
so here goes.

I always assumed that the draft of a boat was...for lack of a better term,
how deep it ran in the water at the lowest point. I am purchasing a boat
right now, and the survey results listed the boat as having a DRAFT of 3
feet, but a DEPTH of 5 feet. I kinda assumed these were the same thing, but
obviously I was wrong.

I can only imagine now that the draft must be the how deep the hull runs and
the depth must be how deep the rudders / wheels etc. run.

Am I even close?

Thanks!

You're going to find some variations on this definition. The depth
referred to will be something along the lines of a measurement at the
mid-length from the keel to the main deck.
You should ask for a clarification.

otn
Wayne B

"Netsock" wrote in message ...
Draft is explained as pertaining to the lowest part of the hull, measured to
the water line, and can vary depending on how much weight is on board, and
where its placed. Some claim it can change for a planning hull, while on
plane, but I have always heard it measured "at rest". Running gear is
normally not included, but I know many folks (mostly smaller craft owners)
who claim their draft, is the lowest part of the boat period.

Draft is normally used to indicate the depth of water needed to run
the boat without hitting bottom. Obviously that would include
appendages to the hull such as rudders, keels, props, etc.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:32:32 GMT, "Gary"
wrote:

OK...I know...this is probably a stupid question, but then again you know
the old saying about the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked,
so here goes.

I always assumed that the draft of a boat was...for lack of a better term,
how deep it ran in the water at the lowest point. I am purchasing a boat
right now, and the survey results listed the boat as having a DRAFT of 3
feet, but a DEPTH of 5 feet. I kinda assumed these were the same thing, but
obviously I was wrong.

I can only imagine now that the draft must be the how deep the hull runs and
the depth must be how deep the rudders / wheels etc. run.

Am I even close?

I've seen the same thing on a survery for a 1970-something 47' Post
that a friend has just finished restoring.

I assumed that the draft includes the running gear and the depth
pertains to the freeboard - water line to the gunnel. When I asked,
that's how it was explained to me.

Then again, it could be wrong. Ask the surveyor.

Later,

Tom

Shen44

The term is "moulded depth" and can vary.
I've heard it explained a number of ways, but a general definition would be
from the top of the keel to the top of the gunwale at the midship point.
You need to check with the particular surveyor for the boat in question as to
their definition.
Draft, on the other hand is how much water your boat draws at any given time
and can again, vary .... light/loaded, at rest/underway, fwd/aft/midships,
planing/displacement mode, G etc.

Shen
Curtis CCR

(Curtis CCR) wrote in message . com...
"Gary" wrote in message . rr.com...
[...]

Here ya go. See page 5 of this doc. Explains it better than I can
(since I can't post pitcures in this news group).
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/T3/Guide_Simp_0.pdf

Gary

Interesting. I really appreciate you sending this. It makes lots of sense,
except that I'd swear that I have considerably more freeboard than 2 feet.
The Boat is a 320 Albemarle Express Fisherman if you're familiar with the
boat.

Anyway, I am closing the deal on Friday and will ask the surveyor what he
meant by those numbers and how he arrived at them.

Thanks again for the reply!

Gary

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...