Junior Member

Smile Mercury 35 horse stalls after 1 minute

Well here goes, I have a mercury 35 horse that stalls after about a minute, if I pump the ball it will keep running for another minute unless I pump the ball again, here is a list of things that either the dealer did or I attempted,

The fuel pump was rebuilt (twice)
Pump and lines replaced and connecters
tank replaced
fuel filter replaced
Quick connects bypassed

Outboard ran great after the tank was elevated above the engine, (gravity feed)
The outboard is losing pressure somehow and can't suck the fuel out of the tank unless I gravity feed it. could it be a carburator problem?

Where would I check the vacuum for the pump to see if that could be the source of my problem.

Thanks ahead of time,
I don't want to tape a 4 ft. step ladder to the back and strap the tank to it.
Derek

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:29:00 +0100, online49
wrote:

[...]

To me, the quickest & easiest test is to borrow another tank & fuel
line of a known working boat. It could be as simple as a fractured
fuel line or a blocked tank vent.
Steve Daniels

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:29:00 +0100, something compelled online49
, to say:

Outboard ran great after the tank was elevated above the engine,
(gravity feed)
The outboard is losing pressure somehow and can't suck the fuel out of
the tank unless I gravity feed it. could it be a carburator problem?

I think your tank vent is plugged.
Mikkilla

Well here goes, I have a mercury 35 horse that stalls after about a
minute, if I pump the ball it will keep running for another minute
unless I pump the ball again, here is a list of things that either the
dealer did or I attempted,

The fuel pump was rebuilt (twice)
Pump and lines replaced and connecters
tank replaced
fuel filter replaced
Quick connects bypassed

Outboard ran great after the tank was elevated above the engine,
(gravity feed)
The outboard is losing pressure somehow and can't suck the fuel out of
the tank unless I gravity feed it. could it be a carburator problem?

Food for thought. IF you half to have the engine up higher then the motor.and
it runs with no problems.. its not the Carbs. its your fuel pump.. Try this.
simple and should of been done to begin with.. NEW PUMP don't rebuild it..
rebuilds never last mostly if some goof ball has NO idea what the hell they are
doing.

OT Mercury in fish basskisser General 1 August 4th 04 06:01 PM
Flogging a Dead Horse (on topic) Gould 0738 General 3 July 23rd 04 11:18 AM
convert johnson prop to mercury richg99 General 1 September 22nd 03 12:23 PM
Capt Mooron ride a horse Capt.American ASA 1 July 25th 03 03:02 AM
Capt Mooron ride a horse Capt.American ASA 0 July 25th 03 02:29 AM