fred

Default 16ft Carolina Skiff or Scout or Key West or ?

looking for a good quality 16footer to go in the creeks. want to put
a 4stroker on it. like the Carolina Skiff 16DLX but wonder if that
flat bottom will pound too much in the chop? Anybody got one?
otherwise, how about the v-hulls of the scout, key west, etc ?

thx for any insight. Fred
RG

I have the J14 Carolina Skiff. Yes, it pounds in the chop. ( Not nearly as
much as most people think, but it is NOT a V hull.) I understand the
CSkiff's new DLX handles much better and is drier, though I have no personal
experience.

I think a V hull / vs. / Flat bottom comparison is apple and bananas. If I
want to float or even ride into 10 ( or less) inches of water...I couldn't
be happier with the J style CSkiff. However, getting TO the skinny water,
and crossing larger, windy water, is a chore.

Like most things in boats...there is always a trade off. Price wise, it is
hard to beat the Carolina Skiff.

RichG

Bill Kiene

Hi Fred,

One of my buddies got a new Carolina Skiff J14 with a new Yamaha 25hp 4
stroke on it with a good galvanized trailer too. We had it out in Tomales
Bay on the California coast this summer. We had it pretty well loaded with
two of us, two collers for food/gear plus a front mounted electric &
battery. It went over 25mph and road better than I thought after looking at
the flat bottom. It is a real heavy duty boat and would be good for a
shallow water boat.

As RichG said, you can't get one boat to do everything. If you get a deep-v
for bigger water it won't go into the real shallow stuff. Be sure to get a
boat for 80% of what you are going to be doing.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

fred wrote in message ...

looking for a good quality 16footer to go in the creeks. want to put
a 4stroker on it. like the Carolina Skiff 16DLX but wonder if that
flat bottom will pound too much in the chop? Anybody got one?
otherwise, how about the v-hulls of the scout, key west, etc ?

thx for any insight. Fred

Harry Krause

Bill Kiene wrote:

Hi Fred,

One of my buddies got a new Carolina Skiff J14 with a new Yamaha 25hp 4
stroke on it with a good galvanized trailer too. We had it out in Tomales
Bay on the California coast this summer. We had it pretty well loaded with
two of us, two collers for food/gear plus a front mounted electric &
battery. It went over 25mph and road better than I thought after looking at
the flat bottom. It is a real heavy duty boat and would be good for a
shallow water boat.

As RichG said, you can't get one boat to do everything. If you get a deep-v
for bigger water it won't go into the real shallow stuff. Be sure to get a
boat for 80% of what you are going to be doing.

There's hardly a better flats or shallows fishing boat than the Carolina
Skiff. They don't draw much water, they're wide, stable, easy to clean
out and they're cheap. And they don't need much horsepower. They've long
been one of my favorite boats.

--
Email sent to is never read.
RG

While I certainly enjoy my CSkiff, I can't allow the word "WIDE" and
"CSkiff" ( at least the "J" version) to be uttered in the same sentence.

The "J " version is narrow. That is probably why it is so light and sneaks
into very skinny water.

I'm 245 lbs. (and more soaking wet) and the boat lists when I move near the
gunnels. That is OK with me, because it is still very stable and fishes
well when I am a-mid-ships, where I spend most of my time. I can lean over
the gunnels and net a big redfish with NO concern....

The DLX version is wider and drier, they say. It probably wouldn't go as
shallow as the "J", but most places are not as shallow as the Texas
flats...anyhow.... I hope not.

Just wanted to clarify the issue. Try it before you buy it!!!!

RichG

Harry Krause

RG wrote:

While I certainly enjoy my CSkiff, I can't allow the word "WIDE" and
"CSkiff" ( at least the "J" version) to be uttered in the same sentence.

The "J " version is narrow. That is probably why it is so light and sneaks
into very skinny water.

I'm 245 lbs. (and more soaking wet) and the boat lists when I move near the
gunnels. That is OK with me, because it is still very stable and fishes
well when I am a-mid-ships, where I spend most of my time. I can lean over
the gunnels and net a big redfish with NO concern....

The DLX version is wider and drier, they say. It probably wouldn't go as
shallow as the "J", but most places are not as shallow as the Texas
flats...anyhow.... I hope not.

Just wanted to clarify the issue. Try it before you buy it!!!!

RichG

Yeah, you have the C Skiff "lite" model. The larger ones are quite
beamy, and still don't draw much water. In fact, a boat identical to
yours in design and length but wider will draw less water than yours.

--
Email sent to is never read.
fred

Thanks guys....I've used the j16 and realize it's not too beamy. i
like that boat a lot but the DLX just looks tempting. I went to the
dealer yesterday and checked one out. They have these curves in the
bottom near the bow that are supposed to decrease pounding and
splashing. I guess if no one has one I'm gonna ask the dealer to
take me for a ride. Looks like what I want, but can't be sure a
little 16 ft v-hull wouldn't serve me better?!? Fred

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:35:33 GMT, "Bill Kiene"
wrote:

Hi Fred,

One of my buddies got a new Carolina Skiff J14 with a new Yamaha 25hp 4
stroke on it with a good galvanized trailer too. We had it out in Tomales
Bay on the California coast this summer. We had it pretty well loaded with
two of us, two collers for food/gear plus a front mounted electric &
battery. It went over 25mph and road better than I thought after looking at
the flat bottom. It is a real heavy duty boat and would be good for a
shallow water boat.

As RichG said, you can't get one boat to do everything. If you get a deep-v
for bigger water it won't go into the real shallow stuff. Be sure to get a
boat for 80% of what you are going to be doing.

charlie

Must be a big creek to have a chop. Where will you be fishing?
Sal****er or fresh? Shallow or deep? Flats? My 1720 Key West gets me
just about anywhere I want to go - fresh and salt.