Brett Humphries

Default Carolina Skiff

I have a J14 (20" TRANSOM), with a long shaft 25HP Yamaha. The
quandary is, the cavitation plate is approximately 3 inches below
optimal performance position, and I would like to raise the motor that
amount. Does any one know of a transom riser that would fit on this
boat, and if so where can I purchase? Or, am I splitting hairs, and
raising the motor 3 inches won't really matter? I don't really want a
jack plate.

Thanks.
Florida Keyz

I raised my moter on my J14 with a 2 by 4 cut to size, placed on the transom.

If you conserned about rotting, use starboard. Then just bold it in.
Capt. Matt

The boats I run are "factory fitted" with the engine mounted on though
transom bolts with the engine mount "lip" suspended 3" above the cutout. I
say go ahead, lift it, and bolt it. It's a skiff for Gods sake, it is made
for shallow water! Keep in mind, a prop too high can lift out of the water
on a turn and the boat will pivot on the bow and throw any one on the aft
end in the water, in other words attach the cut-off key to the helmsman.

om...