ed

Default 2000 Evinrude 4 stroke

I have a pull start with 30 hours on motor. The rope start will not engage
the flywheel. Any ideas what might be wrong. This motor is just like new.

Billgran

"ed" wrote in message
I have a pull start with 30 hours on motor. The rope start will not engage
the flywheel. Any ideas what might be wrong. This motor is just like new.

How about a model number so we know which motor?

Most starters have a plastic pawl that protrudes when pulling the rope. The
pawl then "catches" on the flywheel and turns it. It may be broken or have
fallen off. Unbolt the starter and have a look.

Bill Grannis
service manager

ed

"Billgran" wrote in message
m...

"ed" wrote in message
I have a pull start with 30 hours on motor. The rope start will not

engage
the flywheel. Any ideas what might be wrong. This motor is just like

new.

How about a model number so we know which motor?

Most starters have a plastic pawl that protrudes when pulling the rope.

The
pawl then "catches" on the flywheel and turns it. It may be broken or have
fallen off. Unbolt the starter and have a look.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Thanks Bill. It's a 2000 9.9hp 4 stroke Evinrude, manual start only. The
roope won't pull out at all in gear, but there is no resistance in neutral.

Billgran

"ed" wrote in message

"Billgran" wrote in message
m...

"ed" wrote in message
I have a pull start with 30 hours on motor. The rope start will not

engage
the flywheel. Any ideas what might be wrong. This motor is just like

new.
Thanks Bill. It's a 2000 9.9hp 4 stroke Evinrude, manual start only.

The
roope won't pull out at all in gear, but there is no resistance in

neutral.

That starter uses a plastic pawl, part number 338335, that sells for less
than $6. You have to remove the starter and look on the underside. Chances
are the pawl is worn down , broken, or came off.

Bill Grannis
service manager

ed

"Billgran" wrote in message
. ..

"ed" wrote in message

"Billgran" wrote in message
m...

"ed" wrote in message
I have a pull start with 30 hours on motor. The rope start will not

engage
the flywheel. Any ideas what might be wrong. This motor is just like

new.
Thanks Bill. It's a 2000 9.9hp 4 stroke Evinrude, manual start only.

The
roope won't pull out at all in gear, but there is no resistance in

neutral.

That starter uses a plastic pawl, part number 338335, that sells for less
than $6. You have to remove the starter and look on the underside. Chances
are the pawl is worn down , broken, or came off.

Bill Grannis
service manager

The plastic pawl looks perfect. There must be something that makes it engage
that is not working properly. I can move it easily by hand but when the cord
is pulled it stays in the same position. The wire springs look perfect also.
What kind of trouble am I looking at if I further disassemble the starter?
Will the starter recoil spring jump out? I can't really tell what makes the
pawl make contact with the notches on top of the flywheel, or what causes it
to move in that direction. This outboard had only been on the water three
times before I bought it, and is clean and shows no wear on any part. Would
inactivity cause something like this?

Billgran

"ed" wrote in message

The plastic pawl looks perfect. There must be something that makes it

engage
that is not working properly. I can move it easily by hand but when the

cord
is pulled it stays in the same position. The wire springs look perfect

also.
What kind of trouble am I looking at if I further disassemble the starter?
Will the starter recoil spring jump out? I can't really tell what makes

the
pawl make contact with the notches on top of the flywheel, or what causes

it
to move in that direction. This outboard had only been on the water three
times before I bought it, and is clean and shows no wear on any part.

Would
inactivity cause something like this?

Friction from the "half round" spring that encircles the metal center metal
hub is what moves the pawl outward.. Remove the snap clip, then the pawl and
springs carefully. Bend the 1/2 round spring slightly smaller and reinstall.
Also make sure the center hub is tight and does not rotate when you pull the
cord. If you remove the center hub, hold both halves of the starter together
or the coiled spring will unravel and could draw blood or even take out an
eye. Use caution, common sense, and safety glasses.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Why Ficht failed & why 2stroke OBs are thankfully gone (almost:-)) K. Smith General 30 July 30th 04 12:02 AM
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke?? jeffo General 7 February 14th 04 11:20 PM
evinrude 2+4 & 2 stroke oil question Clams Canino General 3 September 28th 03 01:28 PM
Evinrude 5hp 4 stroke outboard David Samuel General 1 July 20th 03 04:08 PM