Tony

Default OMC esa upgrade ???

WHAT I HAVE: Bayliner 2155 (just bought from privet party) OMC Cobra
Model # 985268 Serial # TO547088 Serial # TO124202 Engine : GM 3.0L
4cyl. The previous owner said that the motor was replaced with a 2000
motor from another boat. However, I am NOT SURE of the year of the
motor as there are no tags on it. Casting # ON BLOCK: 14097080 97
It has electronic ignition that looks factory. THE PROBLEM: ESA
(electronic shift assist) module kills the engine the second it is
engaged. It is my understanding that when engaged it should lower the
rpm's (and possibly run rough) to allow for easier shifting into and
out of gear. Pics I took of my motor showing the esa, dist, and
wiring can be found at www.procutlawn.com/esa The motor runs perfect
otherwise. There are 2 wires that come out of the esa & overthrow
modules. The blue one goes into the harness (as shone in the pics) and
a black one goes into the distributor. Stalling when shifting (unless
I shifted VERY fast) in and out of gear was my original problem and
found the esa was causing the stall. Bypass the esa and no more
stalling but hard shifting out of gear. THINGS I THOUGH OF: A) They
did not upgrade the esa when changing the motor (the original 1988
3.0L had points) to work with electronic ignition. B) They wired the
esa wrong. C) Something totally different that I haven't thought of.
If I do need a upgraded esa I would need a part #.
Thanks, Tony

Is an upgrade worth the Cost" JGK General 10 March 8th 04 08:54 PM
Outboard upgrade nfisherman General 6 February 23rd 04 08:19 PM
Fuel System Upgrade DSK General 4 February 19th 04 01:11 AM
electronics upgrade q Mike General 1 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM
electronics upgrade question JaxAshby ASA 7 August 21st 03 11:40 PM