JaxAshby

Default electronics upgrade question

You can buy a surplus magnetron for under $100 bucks, perhaps $5. You can
fix it yourself. What is the magnetron number?

Your depth sounder is experiencing a form of "double ring echo". It has to
do with the timing gate not allowing for the signal travel time in deep
water. You may see the same with a new depth finder unless it is
specifically designed for deep water.

Your GPS is probably a six satellite model. The only thing bad about it is
the lock up time. For sailing the accuracy is just fine.

Sounds like you just want new stuff. Save your money and buy new curtains
for lady sailor instead. She'll be happy, you'll be happy too.

Jax

"Mike" wrote in message
Been pondering for awhile how to upgrade the electronics on the boat. I
guess they were state of the art in 1979 (loran, ancient GPS, Raytheon

R10X
radar, etc) but the radar is broken, loran is kind of an old joke, and the
GPS probably has wooden components. The radar needs a new magnetron tube
that would cost over $600 just for the part, so that's out of the

question.
The old depthsounder gives good readings in shallow water, but tends to go
crazy in deep water, sometimes showing very shallow depths for no

particular
reason. I was thinking I had a submarine 20' under me quite often on the
trip up Baja!
Was leaning a little towards the whiz-bang mapping GPS with radar overlay
technology, but after reading about split screen mapping GPS/sonar units

in
Practical Sailor, I'm now thinking of going that route with a stand-alone
radar. I really like the idea of seeing bottom contours next to the "you
are here" GPS display right at the helm. Any thoughts? What would you

do,
and why?
Mike

JaxAshby

Here's a typical price on a brand new magnetron:

http://a-1catalog.com/10qbp0230.html

54 bucks is all. What is the frequency and model number of your magnetron?

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

JaxAshby

Here's surplus magnetrons:

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-So...ted_100up.html

I've saved you thousands of dollars.

Jax

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Steve Thomas

A microwave oven is not the same as a radar set, but his price estimate is
high.

R10X parts and sets are often for sale on ebay as well.

Prices, like everything else on there, range from reasonable to ridiculous.

Caveat Emptor!

nk.net...

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

Thanks, I'll look into it. But, yeah, I do want new stuff I know I can
depend on for a few years, and I do want to see bottom shape, not just
numbers. The current GPS is mounted at the nav station and I'd like to be
able to see it from the helm. By the way, Gilligan, what have you done with
Jax?
Mike

nk.net...

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Mike

"JaxGilly" wrote
Sounds like you just want new stuff. Save your money and buy new curtains
for lady sailor instead. She'll be happy, you'll be happy too.

Oh yeah, Lady Sailor is going to sew us new curtains, so I'll save enough to
be able to afford some gizmos. I'm already plenty happy, thanks.
Mike

Bertie the Bunyip

The_navigator© wrote in
:

I have also seen this with my Raytheon color sonar. Think big balls of
fish and bootom far away?

Mm hmm.

Bertie
Cheers MC