Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Get the Manatees off the endangered list

Its about time that Manatees were taken off the "endangered" list. This
will not remove the many special protections for the mammals, and there
will not be any fast food chains serving manatee burgers. It is a first
step into normalizing the species which has proved itself quite fertile.

I recently viewed a headline screaming 84 manatees were killed by
boaters, and this was double the number of 10 years ago. Not surprising,
since there are about 800% more manatees today then 10 years ago. The
last census showed over 4000 (That is up from 300 in '93) in the St.
Johns river alone. Soon, we shall be able to walk from Southbank to
Riverside by using manatees for stepping stones.

Additional manatee protection, as proposed by the Fish and Wildlife
Department in response to a lawsuit by the "Save the Manatee Club" is
not necessary. I for one resent being denied the use of large portions
of "my" river by a group of people that 1. doesn't live here. 2. Doesn't
have a clue as to the true census of Manatees. 3. Are playing on
sympathy instead of fact. 4. Is founded by Jimmy Buffet who lives in New
York.

Yes, 10 years ago, the Manatee was an endangered species. Now there are
so many they could easily become a nuisance in the next 10 years.

Capt. Frank In Jacksonville Florida

Wayne.B

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:33:20 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:
I for one resent being denied the use of large portions
of "my" river by a group of people that 1. doesn't live here. 2. Doesn't
have a clue as to the true census of Manatees. 3. Are playing on
sympathy instead of fact. 4. Is founded by Jimmy Buffet who lives in New
York.

There probably are a few genuine manatee lovers out there but I've
become increasingly convinced that a lot of the manatee protection
groups are being clothed and fed by home owners who live on or near
the shore, and are fed up with being buzzed by jet skiis and the
straight pipe speed boat set. Both of these groups sound a lot more
acceptable to the neighbors when running at idle speed. Notice that
there is no exception in the manatee speed zone regs for jet boats
which arguably could do little to harm a manatee at any speed.

dcg

The recent hysteria over manatees is also a problem for waterfront
homeowners because most waterfront homeowners are boaters too.

Waterfront home neighborhoods already have no wake zones. If
speedboats and jet skis violate those rules, the homeowners have a
right to be upset. Just like noisy cars and motorycyles zooming up
and down the street are annoying.

Manatee fanatics aren't rallying for more wake protection near fancy
houses, they want no speed zones *everywhere*. And manatees are
*everywhere* in Tampa Bay in the winter time. No shortage here at
all.

Manatees do not swim in less than 3 feet of water and boaters quickly
learn where they are most likely to be: in warm, deep water with lots
of grass. We learn to avoid them.

But the fanatics got their way in Tampa Bay and the result is this: at
the 4 foot deep contour near shore, 3 foot tall 8" diameter no wake
buoys are anchored every 100 ' or so. The buoys are meant to restrict
boaters to no wake within the marked area. Which may be 1/2 mile or
more from shore (shallow flats) and are encountered on the way to
mangrove shoreline fishing grounds.

So we're prevented from getting to the fishing spots in a reasonable
amount of time.

Here's the catch: there's little to no enforcement on Tampa Bay and
less maintenance of navigational aids - like these buoys. The result:
after a couple of years, these buoys are now coated with oysters which
have reduced their effective height above the waterline to about 6".
Which makes them almost impossible to see in some situations. That
makes them hazards to navigation.

$.02.

================================================= ==

There probably are a few genuine manatee lovers out there but I've
become increasingly convinced that a lot of the manatee protection
groups are being clothed and fed by home owners who live on or near
the shore, and are fed up with being buzzed by jet skiis and the
straight pipe speed boat set. Both of these groups sound a lot more
acceptable to the neighbors when running at idle speed. Notice that
there is no exception in the manatee speed zone regs for jet boats
which arguably could do little to harm a manatee at any speed.

F330 GT

Is founded by Jimmy Buffet who lives in New
York.

Not so. He lives in Palm Beach.

bb

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:43:15 GMT, dcg wrote:

Manatees do not swim in less than 3 feet of water and boaters quickly
learn where they are most likely to be: in warm, deep water with lots
of grass. We learn to avoid them.

I'll have to disagree with your assumpition that boaters will learn to
avoid them. When I'm fishing the Tampa Bay area grass flats I
regularly watch boat after boat plow through obvious shoal areas and
grass flats. The water can be glassy and clear, with the grass flats
and sand bars clearly visible, and yahoo's come one after another
plowing right through.

Maybe some boaters will learn to avoid the manatees, but certainly not
all.

bb

news

NUKE THE MANATEES!

"F330 GT" wrote in message
Is founded by Jimmy Buffet who lives in New
York.

Not so. He lives in Palm Beach.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

You have been subjected to too many earthquakes and have shaken baby
syndrome.

================================================ ===

There probably are a few genuine manatee lovers out there but I've
become increasingly convinced that a lot of the manatee protection
groups are being clothed and fed by home owners who live on or near
the shore, and are fed up with being buzzed by jet skiis and the
straight pipe speed boat set. Both of these groups sound a lot more
acceptable to the neighbors when running at idle speed. Notice that
there is no exception in the manatee speed zone regs for jet boats
which arguably could do little to harm a manatee at any speed.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Really? When did he move back? Last I heard he had a "Dakota" address
and was jammin in central park. He still needs to keep his parrot beak
out of politics.

CF