Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Doug Kanter

Default Hard starting 4-stroke outboard

Motor: 1996 Johnson 15 hp 4-stroke, model J15FREDR. About every 3rd trip,
the motor needs a million pulls to get it started. Primer bulb is pumped
till hard, as always. Once it starts, it runs smoothly and it will restart
effortlessly all day long, requiring a very light pull on the rope. When
shutting down the motor, I always let it idle down for a few seconds. I
wondered if tipping the motor up at the ramp might be a factor, but that's
rarely necessary at the ramp I use the most.

Best answer gets 15 virtual beers.