CCred68046

Default For my on topic friends...

You have got to see this....
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Now That's impressive! I wonder if I could mount such an engine in a
Bayliner? It should plane out quickly enough.

Capt. Frank

CCred68046 wrote:

You have got to see this....
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

DSK

CCred68046 wrote:

You have got to see this....
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

Wow!

I wonder what it redlines at? One cool thing about
the big commercial ship diesels is that no
reduction gear is needed, which saves cost,
weight, & maintenance.

Fair Skies- Doug King

Wayne.B

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:04:15 GMT, "Capt. Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

Now That's impressive! I wonder if I could mount such an engine in a
Bayliner? It should plane out quickly enough.

Stringer reinforcement highly recommended, and at more than 25 gallons
per minute the ride will be short. :-)

That makes my 454s look almost economical.

thunder

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:03:31 +0000, otnmbrd wrote:

G Probably around 105 RPM ..... more important to some would be it's
"barred speed range" (if any) and where it's at.

I'm not familiar with *big* diesels, but I was surprised at how slowly
that sucker turned, maximum power at 102 RPM.
Wayne.B

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:46:51 -0500, thunder
wrote:

I'm not familiar with *big* diesels, but I was surprised at how slowly
that sucker turned, maximum power at 102 RPM.

================================

Big squirrels run slow...

Wayne.B

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:32:59 GMT, "Snafu"
wrote:

How the heck do they crank it to get it started??

We had a discussion about that earlier this year, answered by Rick our
resident LARGE diesel expert. To make a long story short, they use
compressed air stored in large accumulator tanks, and admitted into
the cylinder heads through a special set of valves used only for
starting the engine.

In an emergency you can hand crank...

....but not very much.
otnmbrd

Snafu wrote:
How the heck do they crank it to get it started??

Air .....lotsa air... most big diesels on ships, have limited amounts of
starts when maneuvering. However, this has greatly improved with newer
ship. They generally have over a dozen, before they run out and have to
wait to rebuild supplies.

The truth about the Off Topic Posts Gene Kearns General 46 November 17th 03 03:35 PM
2 bad this list is so off topic! Florida Keyz General 1 November 13th 03 08:05 PM
Off topic messages werlax General 16 September 28th 03 03:49 AM
On Topic: Near Perfect Day on the Bay Don White General 2 September 8th 03 03:30 AM