Keith

Default Leaning Post & Deck Solution?

I have a Mako 25' with a leaning post. The leaning post has two floor
mounts with 8 screws per post. The screws are pretty large, dont have
the exact size. The problem is that on the front of one of mounts two
of the screws have pulled loose from the deck. My issue is how to go
about fixing this.. I have heard that you can Marine Tex the holes
then redrill them out. Not sure how well this might work and I figure
I am going to have to remove all 16 screws to move the post out of the
way before I can do any repair. I was wondering what people thought
of taking a piece of exterior 2x12 and mounting that in the spot on
the deck using 5200 or silicone and some of the original good holes
then mounting the leaning post on to that. I dont want to drill
more holes on the deck and the stress of the existing situation is
just going to get worse.

Thanks for any feedback..

Keith
Bill Sheffield

Remove the leaning post, clean out all the holes and fill them with a putty
made from resin and cabosil, after it cures pre-drill the holes and
reinstall the leaning post, use 3m 5200 to seal the screws.

Bill

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:26:34 GMT, Keith
wrote:

I have a Mako 25' with a leaning post. The leaning post has two floor
mounts with 8 screws per post. The screws are pretty large, dont have
the exact size. The problem is that on the front of one of mounts two
of the screws have pulled loose from the deck. My issue is how to go
about fixing this.. I have heard that you can Marine Tex the holes
then redrill them out. Not sure how well this might work and I figure
I am going to have to remove all 16 screws to move the post out of the
way before I can do any repair. I was wondering what people thought
of taking a piece of exterior 2x12 and mounting that in the spot on
the deck using 5200 or silicone and some of the original good holes
then mounting the leaning post on to that. I dont want to drill
more holes on the deck and the stress of the existing situation is
just going to get worse.

Nope - I wouldn't do it that way.

Remove the holders, clean out the holes, use a resin based expoxy
filler and fill 'em up, let dry for a couple of days, redrill and
reinstall the bases using 3m 5200 or 5400.

Assuming that there isn't a backing plate present, but I don't think
so.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
LaBomba182

Subject: Leaning Post & Deck Solution?
From: Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Better yet, remove all the screws and replace them with bolts with "Toggler"
brand toggle nuts. They make a type where there is a plastic handle attached to
the nut and you slide a temparary washer like holder down the handle so you can
hold the nut in place after you have pushed it through the hole while you
tighten the bolt.
The T nut is made of SS.

Next best thing to a under deck plate.

http://www.toggler.com/newproducts.html