2Loons

Default Bimini top help

Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas for her boat but it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

Its a 21 foot Pelican Bay, center console.
8 foot beam.
Is anyone here familiar with these boats? I need the approximate dimensions
before ordering the top.

I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Sandy K.

"2Loons" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas for her boat but

it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

Its a 21 foot Pelican Bay, center console.
8 foot beam.
Is anyone here familiar with these boats? I need the approximate

dimensions
before ordering the top.

I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Why not hand her a card with a cut-out photo of a bimini top from a catalog.
After she knows what she's getting, then take accurate measurements and buy
it. This way she'll know that a Bimini top is "reserved" for her gift....

Sandy K.

JohnH

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:42:23 GMT, "2Loons" wrote:

Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas for her boat but it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

Its a 21 foot Pelican Bay, center console.
8 foot beam.
Is anyone here familiar with these boats? I need the approximate dimensions
before ordering the top.

I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Try going he http://home.att.net/~pelicanbay/dealers.htm

Find the closest dealer, and call them. That oughta work, especially if they
think you might order the top thru them.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Dan J.S.

"2Loons" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas for her boat but

it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

Its a 21 foot Pelican Bay, center console.
8 foot beam.
Is anyone here familiar with these boats? I need the approximate

dimensions
before ordering the top.

I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

www.overtons.com
get online, and then call them. All you need is the model of the boat and
they will hook you up...

Dan

Harry Krause

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:42:23 GMT, "2Loons" wrote:

Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas but it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

If I had a gal with a chest so large that I couldn't find her a bra at
Victoria's Secret, I'd probably find a smaller gal.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Gene Kearns

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:22:49 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:42:23 GMT, "2Loons" wrote:

Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas but it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

If I had a gal with a chest so large that I couldn't find her a bra at
Victoria's Secret, I'd probably find a smaller gal.

I think I have a plan on how to conceal the intent of measuring......
Harry Krause

wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:42:23 GMT, "2Loons" wrote:

Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas but it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

If I had a gal with a chest so large that I couldn't find her a bra at
Victoria's Secret, I'd probably find a smaller gal.

I think I have a plan on how to conceal the intent of measuring......

I was at a mall last weekend and noted that the Victoria's Secret store
had a help wanted sign in the window for a part-time "fitter." I was
really, truly tempted, and was wondering how much I'd have to pay the
store manager an hour to get the job.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

You can't buy a bimini without EXACT dimensions. It would be best to
take the boat to a top shop and have one made. Make sure you get a
premium cloth material. If you plan an eisenglass windscreen, or side
curtains (weather shield), it (they) will have to be made at the same
time as the top.

A custom made top is, in general, much higher quality and a lot stronger
then an over the counter top kit available from some boat supply stores.
Many "over the counter" tops promise good quality but deliver grade "B"
materials. I do not recommend the "OTC" units as they tend to fall apart
after a couple of seasons.

The bimini's frame is very important. It must be properly mounted, and
made of strong tube. I recommend stainless tubes. They look better,
won't corrode, and are 12 times as strong as aluminum. They won't bend
in a strong wind, or at high speeds. The down side is, they weigh 3
times as much as aluminum, and cost a lot more. You get what you pay for.

IMHO give her a gift certificate for the top and take the boat to a
reliable canvas shop for fitting.

Regards,
Capt. Frank