Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Bimini top help

You can't buy a bimini without EXACT dimensions. It would be best to
take the boat to a top shop and have one made. Make sure you get a
premium cloth material. If you plan an eisenglass windscreen, or side
curtains (weather shield), it (they) will have to be made at the same
time as the top.

A custom made top is, in general, much higher quality and a lot stronger
then an over the counter top kit available from some boat supply stores.
Many "over the counter" tops promise good quality but deliver grade "B"
materials. I do not recommend the "OTC" units as they tend to fall apart
after a couple of seasons.

The bimini's frame is very important. It must be properly mounted, and
made of strong tube. I recommend stainless tubes. They look better,
won't corrode, and are 12 times as strong as aluminum. They won't bend
in a strong wind, or at high speeds. The down side is, they weigh 3
times as much as aluminum, and cost a lot more. You get what you pay for.

IMHO give her a gift certificate for the top and take the boat to a
reliable canvas shop for fitting.

Regards,
Capt. Frank

2Loons wrote:
Hi,

I want to buy my girlfriend a bimini top for Christmas for her boat but it's
going hard to get the dimensions without her finding out what I'm up to.

Its a 21 foot Pelican Bay, center console.
8 foot beam.
Is anyone here familiar with these boats? I need the approximate dimensions
before ordering the top.

I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks!