Steve M

Default Water leak in Engine compartment (Mercruiser)

I have a Sundancer 290 with the 7.4L Merc, and I have a small
water leak in the engine compartment. When the boat sits
for a while (days), there is no leaking, but when I take
it out for a spin, it's dripping when I come back. The
dripping is coming from somewhere directly under the
hub, but I can't see up under there to see exactly where
it's coming from. The risers go down into that area,
but the water that's dripping is not warm, so I don't
think it's coming from the risers. What's up under
there that could be leaking? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve
Capt. Frank Hopkins

I could be a couple of things Steve. My first thought is input water for
the manifolds. The second is your stern seal or dam. If you have a
BravoII drive, its a good bet the seals are old and worn out. The third
thought is a corroded gimbal. I hope not, that IS expensive. You really
need to pull the drive and inspect the lot.

Capt. Frank

Steve M wrote:

I have a Sundancer 290 with the 7.4L Merc, and I have a small
water leak in the engine compartment. When the boat sits
for a while (days), there is no leaking, but when I take
it out for a spin, it's dripping when I come back. The
dripping is coming from somewhere directly under the
hub, but I can't see up under there to see exactly where
it's coming from. The risers go down into that area,
but the water that's dripping is not warm, so I don't
think it's coming from the risers. What's up under
there that could be leaking? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

.JIMinMA.

Steve M wrote:

I have a Sundancer 290 with the 7.4L Merc, and I have a small
water leak in the engine compartment. When the boat sits
for a while (days), there is no leaking, but when I take
it out for a spin, it's dripping when I come back. The
dripping is coming from somewhere directly under the
hub, but I can't see up under there to see exactly where
it's coming from. The risers go down into that area,
but the water that's dripping is not warm, so I don't
think it's coming from the risers. What's up under
there that could be leaking? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

You need to be a bit more descriptive. What is a "hub"? What do you have for
a drive train? Is it an IO or inboard? Straight transmission or V drive.
Alpha, Bravo, or TRS? Would you be able to get a better look at things if
you used a mirror and high power flashlight?
Jim

Steve M

".JIMinMA." wrote in
:

Steve M wrote:

[...]

The hub, or coupler, is the rubber donut-shaped thing that connects the
outdrive shaft to the engine.

I have an I/O 7.4L Merc with a Bravo I outdrive.

I didn't have a mirror with me, but that would be worth a try.

Steve

.JIMinMA.

"Steve M" wrote in message
. 254.210...
".JIMinMA." wrote in
:

Steve M wrote:

[...]

You say it leaks only when the engine is running, and that the drips are
cool. That eliminates everything on the transom except the sea water pickup
fitting and hose. Also check the connections between the risers and
bullhorn. there may be an oil cooler mounted high on the back of the engine.
If so check that. Check the heat exchanger if you have one. look at the
hoses between the thermostat housing and risers. look at the connections
between the risers and manifolds. Look at the thermostat housing. Look at
the engine circulating pump. Be careful of the spinning belts and pulleys.
They'll bite you if they can.
Jim

Bill Sheffield

What year is the boat? A rotten transom will give this problem, as the rot
allows the transom to flex and leak past the outdrive seal.

Eisboch

".JIMinMA." wrote in message

Be careful of the spinning belts and pulleys.
They'll bite you if they can.
Jim

The voice of experience speaks.

Eisboch

.JIMinMA.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

".JIMinMA." wrote in message

Be careful of the spinning belts and pulleys.
They'll bite you if they can.
Jim

The voice of experience speaks.

Eisboch

Welcome back. I guess the gator in your pond didn't have you for lunch,
after all.
Jim

Eisboch

".JIMinMA." wrote in message

Eisboch

Welcome back. I guess the gator in your pond didn't have you for lunch,
after all.
Jim

Nope. Eyeballed me a few times but musta decided I was too old and
therefore probably tough to chew.

Mrs. E still counts her Westies three or four times a day though.

Been busy moving stuff to the new house. Seems Bellsouth can't figure out
how to install DSL there, so I am still hooked up at the horse house and
only check the computer once in a while.

How's the weather? (hee, hee, hee)

Eisboch

Wayne.B

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:54:18 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

How's the weather? (hee, hee, hee)

How's the weather there? We're leaving Saturday AM for Cape Coral.