Steve M

Default Water leak in Engine compartment (Mercruiser)

".JIMinMA." wrote in
:

Steve M wrote:

I have a Sundancer 290 with the 7.4L Merc, and I have a small
water leak in the engine compartment. When the boat sits
for a while (days), there is no leaking, but when I take
it out for a spin, it's dripping when I come back. The
dripping is coming from somewhere directly under the
hub, but I can't see up under there to see exactly where
it's coming from. The risers go down into that area,
but the water that's dripping is not warm, so I don't
think it's coming from the risers. What's up under
there that could be leaking? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve

You need to be a bit more descriptive. What is a "hub"? What do you have
for a drive train? Is it an IO or inboard? Straight transmission or V
drive. Alpha, Bravo, or TRS? Would you be able to get a better look at
things if you used a mirror and high power flashlight?
Jim

The hub, or coupler, is the rubber donut-shaped thing that connects the
outdrive shaft to the engine.

I have an I/O 7.4L Merc with a Bravo I outdrive.

I didn't have a mirror with me, but that would be worth a try.

Steve