Belgian

Default Battery Question

Hi , i was wondering if there is any danger to fry the magneto of an
outboard 40hp Suzuki engine if install 2 12 volts battery in parallel .
I do use lots of 12 volt equipments on the pontoon, so i figured that 2
batteries would be better and last longer Last year a battery died on me in
the midle
of the lake. I just bought 2 brand new marine ones .
would that be too much strain on the magneto ?
thanks for your help !

noah

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:18:23 -0400, "Belgian"
wrote:

Hi , i was wondering if there is any danger to fry the magneto of an
outboard 40hp Suzuki engine if install 2 12 volts battery in parallel .
I do use lots of 12 volt equipments on the pontoon, so i figured that 2
batteries would be better and last longer Last year a battery died on me in
the midle
of the lake. I just bought 2 brand new marine ones .
would that be too much strain on the magneto ?
thanks for your help !

You should be fine. If you want to "fine tune" the setup, get a
battery isolator, so that one battery starts your engine, the other
runs your accessories. Not necessary, but convenient.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:18:23 +0000, Belgian wrote:

Hi , i was wondering if there is any danger to fry the magneto of an
outboard 40hp Suzuki engine if install 2 12 volts battery in parallel .
I do use lots of 12 volt equipments on the pontoon, so i figured that 2
batteries would be better and last longer Last year a battery died on me in
the midle
of the lake. I just bought 2 brand new marine ones .
would that be too much strain on the magneto ?
thanks for your help !

The answer to your question is: no. Two batteries in parallel put no more
strain on the magneto/alternator than one. The problem is, the small
alternator on an outboard would take forever to charge these batteries.
Also, as others pointed out, it's safer to have some kind of combiner.

Another solution is simply get a single, bigger battery (ie if you have a
Series 24, get a Series 27 or even a 4D). Same problem with long charging
times, though.

Lloyd

anchor question? Gould 0738 General 208 June 24th 10 01:53 AM
Quick Prop Question M.E. General 10 August 2nd 03 03:53 AM
Sea Ray 260DA question RG General 0 July 16th 03 10:07 PM
Generator Overheating Question Steve General 0 July 11th 03 03:03 AM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM