Default For those who think flying sucks.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 19:04:48 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 3/12/21 10:50 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:41:44 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

https://ibb.co/nLVG10W

With trains, you don't have to deal with airports or long rides to and
from the airport to your eventual destination. With trains, you usually
don't have to deal with long lines. With trains, you don't have to deal
with crappy seats, even the crappy seats in first class. With trains,
you don't have to contort yourself to pee standing up in the rest room.
With trains, if the engine fails, the train simply comes to a stop.

As long as you don't mind a 20 hour ride plus the trip to and from the
station. The train makes sense if you can take the Metroliner to NY
from DC but I am not taking the milk train from Florida to DC and I
would have to drive to Sanford to get it (4 hours or more each way).
Where do you catch the train south? Union Station? Somewhere in
Virginia?
RSW is 15 minutes from here.
You are also one bomb threat away from full TSA screening on the
train.
There are no long lines in 1st class. They have an express line
through TSA, the ticket counter/baggage check and you board first.

I would drive before I took a train. It is faster.

The "photo" compared the time it takes to go similar distances on
China's modern passenger rail system and our ****ty, outmoded, ancient
passenger rail system.

The last time we took the train to Jax, we boarded at Union Station in
DC, but it does make a brief stop in Alexandria, Virginia. We did that
once. Parking there was free...within sight of the Masonic tower.

We usually take the train to NYC, New Haven, and even Boston. Took it to
Providence about a decade ago.

And if there is a freight train, they have priority over the passenger
train. Admittedly the train system here sucks. Even for freight. We
tried to build a high speed system here. $33 billion they told us and we
voted yes. Now we are pushing $100 billion for a system between two
Central Valley towns. As to freight. Buddy use to own a rebar company.
They trucked the rebar from Salt Lake City area to the bay area. Asked why
not train? He said, 15 hours via truck, 1-3 months for cars get switched
around and may sit in a yard for a month or more. Passenger trains and
even freight were victims of unreasonable union demands. Go from steam to
diesel and the Union demanded you still have a fireman, etc. also, the
population density in lots of the world supports HSR. Not here in lots of
the area.

We had freight service here, mostly for aggregates, steel and paper
for the Snooze Press. They are phasing it out because trucking it is
cheaper. I think all the trains south of Ft Myers are shut down. I
never hear the whistles anymore. I suppose I could go up and see how
rusty the track is.
The problem is it used to run through cow pastures. Now it is gated
communities with megabuck houses.
NIMBY means something when you are talking about rich people.
We haven't had passenger service here since the 50s or early 60s.
(except for a round trip dinner train ride to South Punta Gorda)

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:25:55 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

John Wrote in message:r
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:18:43 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r https://ibb.co/nLVG10WWith trains, you don't have to deal with airports or long rides to and from the airport to your eventual destination. With trains, you usually don't have to deal with long

lines. With trains, you don't have to deal with crappy seats, even the crappy seats in first class. With trains, you don't have to contort yourself to pee standing up in the rest room. With trains, if the engine fails, the train simply comes to a stop.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *Enjoy your choo choo trains
dummy. You don't sound right. Have you had your head examined lately?He forgets to mention it takes 3-4 days to get to the west coast versus. fivehours.--Freedom Isn't Free!

He thinks he can go anywherre in 2 hours on the Acela. Fat Harry
is out of his mind, I tell ya.

It's not a bad ride if you are going to New York. That is one of the
few trains that make some sense. Part of that is simply because
LaGuardia (Italian for "an hour or two late") sucks so badly. If you
left the North Beltway station at the same time a plane took off from
DCA, you would be eating a hot dog on 7th avenue looking up at that
plane still circling waiting for a slot to land.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 17:38:19 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:59:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I said the train makes sense in the Acela corridor but once you get
out of that cluster ****, not so much.
There is no way a high speed rail link to Florida would ever come
close to paying for itself. I also doubt you would ever get all the
people along the way to go for it. Trains are dangerous enough at
45-50. Going 100+ in populated areas is a death trap. They are trying
a faster train (still not anything like high speed) in South Florida
and the death toll is striking. I heard a stat a little while ago that
less than 100 miles of track on the gold coast generates more deaths
than all the other track in the US.
The problem is about 100 grade crossings. Imagine what that would mean
in the 900 miles through the rest of the Atlantic states. I suppose if
cost was no object, you had the land and you could get a hundred local
governments to sign off, it could be elevated but it would end up
cheaper if they just put all the passengers in stretch limos and drove
them down, feeding them champagne and caviar the whole way.

===

I wonder what it would take to make the grade level crossings safer?
Are the fatalities mostly vehicles or pedestrians? I don't have much
sympathy for people who try to beat the gates but there is probably
some way to make it more difficult. There are a lot of lift bridges
on the east coast of Florida but you don't see a lot of people trying
to beat the gates on them.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 17:47:43 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 3/12/21 5:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:18:43 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r
https://ibb.co/nLVG10WWith trains, you don't have to deal with airports or long rides to and from the airport to your eventual destination. With trains, you usually don't have to deal with long lines. With trains, you don't have to deal with crappy seats, even the crappy seats in first class. With trains, you don't have to
contort yourself to pee standing up in the rest room. With trains, if the engine fails, the train simply comes to a stop.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Enjoy your choo choo trains dummy. You don't sound right. Have you
had your head examined lately?

Harry just likes the idea that he can off load 2/3ds of the cost of
his train ticket on the tax payer. It is like Biden spending $86
Billion, we don't have, bailing out the pension plans of corrupt
unions in the "covid" bill.

Oh, right, because air travel isn't subsidized and neither are the
producers of the fuel burned in planes, trains, and automobiles and
cruise ships, et cetera.

Nothing like Amtrack. You really have to stretch to compare the
"subsidy" of airlines to trains.

Why not give us examples if you are so sure.

Yeah the government operates air traffic control but you would lose
your mind if I suggested privatizing that. The Airlines do kick money
into that budget.

Airlines pay gate fees to use government airports.

Any so called fuel subsidy is the same as the subsidy for the diesel
the trains buy, the truckers buy or the gas for your car. It still
gets taxed.

Sure the middle east eats a big part of the DoD budget but that is
more about Israel than it is about oil. We don't depend on Saudi oil
anymore. We get far more from Canada and Mexico than the middle east
and we are a net exporter now.

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Still have passenger train service to Montreal 3 times a week...down from twice a day a couple dozen years ago.
Lots of freight, especially container trains thanks to our still busy port..

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 18:05:40 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 17:38:19 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:59:01 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It is a mix of vehicles and pedestrians but I think it is mostly
because people got used to slow freight trains and these are doing 60.
I am also not sure they even have gates on all of the crossings. I
know the ones down here don't have gates, only lights. The one closest
to me (East Broadway) was in the movie "Gone Fishin". (where the train
snags the boat trailer).

wrote:

On 3/12/21 5:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Airlines, in most cases, are running the ground operations for airports as well. For example, Delta runs Atlanta, LA, Cinci, Salt Lake, Dallas, DCA, etc. American runs their share as well. It cost them tons. The company I used to work for sold them comm systems used to do this, and they weren't cheap. I've spent quite a bit of time in ramp towers across the US.

wrote:

On 3/12/21 5:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Amtrak is subsidized to the tune of $2 billion a year. Our new aircraft
carriers run about $13 billion to build. The Amtrak sudsidy is chicken
feed.

--
Lock Trump Up!

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 01:20:19 -0000 (UTC), Keyser Soze

wrote:

On 3/12/21 5:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

What do aircraft carriers have to do with airlines?
I have always landed at an airport.
Although it would be exciting to watch a 757 land on a carrier I want
to watch from another boat.
Can we go watch on your twin Volvo trawler :-)

As for your $2B subsidy, there were 16.8 million rail trips in the US
last year. That means we paid $119 to each passenger, just to ride the
train. 10.5m million of them were going to and from Penn Station.
Most of them were just coming in to NYC from Westchester county, Long
Island, Connecticut or Jersey. They claim commuter rail almost pays
it's own way so your $135 trip to Florida really cost about $500 and
the tax payer picked up the difference.

wrote:

[...]

What we are doing here. All rail crossing, is not crossing the track. But
the $33 billion has zoomed to $100 billion and a small stretch is going to
be finished.

The USA sucks... Salmonbait[_2_] General 35 February 17th 13 03:09 PM
This sucks! Eisboch General 5 December 22nd 08 06:30 AM
Kia Sucks jlrogers[_2_] ASA 3 November 21st 07 02:44 AM
This Sucks Skip Gundlach Boat Building 7 February 20th 06 12:56 AM
This really sucks... Jim Carter General 75 March 20th 05 01:22 AM