posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,atl.general,alt.autos.fiero
Skip Gundlach

Default This Sucks

Well, technically, the vacuum cleaner sucks...

We're getting pretty close to shoving off, and want to compress our
non-regularly-used clothing/bedding/towels, etc.

The "As Seen On TV" site shows several individual types of plastic
containers which are waterproof and use the vacuum to evacuate the air,
thus compressing them greatly.

However, as I next to never watch television, I'm mortified to see that
the number I wrote down on something in the restaurant that had an ad
for these things is nowhere to be found.

I believe it was on a sports channel, but I could well be mistaken. I
think it was a $39 package, with several "bonus" inclusions making the
size repertoire pretty full. The price is what it will be, but it's
less than buying them individually on the "as seen" net address.

Those of you out in the great TV wasteland who see this fairly
regularly on the channel(s) you watch could do me a service by, the
next time this particular ad ("Call now - operators are standing by!")
runs, taking down the number and jotting me an email with it.

Having no connection to any broadcast images, I can't rely on seeing it
randomly in some restaurant (indeed, I've looked intently at any
screens I've seen in eateries since).

Thanks!

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

posted to rec.boats.building
dazed and confuzzed

Skip Gundlach wrote:
[...]

Try www.TVmarketplace.net

Specifically:
http://www.tvmarketplace.net/(oenx3j55smo3lj55s2t313es)/products/search.aspx?search=space%20bag

--

The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that you do not realize
the consequences of your actions

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,atl.general,alt.autos.fiero
Glenn Ashmore

You are probably thinking about SpaceSaver or SpaceBag
https://www.spacebag.com/spacebag/901763/ .

They do work and are great for storing things on a boat but you need a
regular vacuum cleaner that only pulls a few inches Hg and be careful what
you put in them. I hooked one up to my 29"Hg vacuum bagging system and my
nice down pillow came out hard as a board. Never did feel the same again.

Also the Seal-a-Meal system seems to be real popular with long term cruisers
for storing spare parts.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

MAybe you could use one of those big pumps you use to inflate
inflatable dinghys to pull a vaccuum. You know, the double acting ones
that look like a very oversized bicycle pump.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,atl.general,alt.autos.fiero
purple_stars

Target and wallyworld both sell the spacebags

yeah i found them at walmart in the outdoor section back where the
sleeping bags and things were. they had some vacuum cleaner ones, and
also at least one kind that just rolls up and squishes the air out.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,atl.general,alt.autos.fiero
derbyrm

I found some at Wal-Mart (but I haven't used them yet).

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, technically, the vacuum cleaner sucks...

We're getting pretty close to shoving off, and want to compress our
non-regularly-used clothing/bedding/towels, etc.

The "As Seen On TV" site shows several individual types of plastic
containers which are waterproof and use the vacuum to evacuate the air,
thus compressing them greatly.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,atl.general,alt.autos.fiero

I tried using our small 1-gallon shopvac and a heavy duty garbage
bag...worked great. Sucked a hugh wool afghan down to the size of a
loaf of break. Couldn't believe how tight a package it was.

It does gain back a little air over a couple of days but still stays
small. I've heard that even the expensive special bags leak some. The
up side is that garbage bags are cheap as hell.