Default EU cuts ties with America

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 1:27:34 PM UTC-4, The Happy Hippy wrote in uk.current-events.terrorism:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53418898

quotes

A major agreement governing the transfer of EU citizens' data to the United
States has been struck down by the European Court of Justice.

A privacy advocate challenged the agreement, arguing that US national
security laws did not protect EU citizens from government snooping.

/quotes

It has long been known that US promises of safeguarding foreign data were
entirely mythical and data transfer has only persisted through wilful
suspension of disbelief. Time has rightly now been called on that.

It's not clear what happens now because America isn't going to change her
tune. America will continue to insist she has a right to spy on everyone,
citizens included, but especially foreign citizens, that she don't need no
permission slip to do whatever she damned-well chooses to do - USA! USA!
USA!

And it's not clear what happens with us. We may be happy to let America spy
on our citizens - and it's quite handy for our government that they don't
have to, can say they don't while simply getting the US to do the dirty work
on their behalf - but it means we can be no better trusted with data than
America is.

It is likely to have a severely debilitating effect on doing trade with EU
member states whether we have a trade deal or not. It's going to
particularly bad for service industries which is what the UK's economy is
based upon.

But we were warned. Rees-Mogg told us it would take 50 years before our
economy would get back to where it was after brexit.

Never fear. Biden is here.

bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

That will please the isolationists here.

--
Lock Trump Up

..On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 16:55:30 -0000 (UTC), Keyser Soze
wrote:

bruce bowser wrote:
[...]

Our relationship with Europe is like having a cat. They don't actually
do much for you, they like to remain aloof but when they need
something they are rubbing your leg and begging.

Zip ties coming out justan General 2 October 7th 18 12:01 AM
Barney frank ties the knot Meyer[_2_] General 3 July 10th 12 01:34 AM
Conservative Terrorist's Ties to Extremists HK General 12 June 2nd 09 10:22 PM
Stitch & glue, cable ties? Jonathan Boat Building 29 June 29th 04 05:23 AM
OT Cheney claims no ties with Halliburton!! basskisser General 0 May 20th 04 05:31 PM