Default Words of Wisdom From an Unexpected Place

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 14:17:34 -0000 (UTC), Justan "
wrote:

On 1/1/21 9:01 PM, Bill wrote:
Wayne B wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 18:08:10 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Nice to drive to for an afternoon. Maybe a weekend. We see snow here.
Fact is we looked at snow this morning, on top of Mr. Diablo. Which is
about 4000? and we are at 420? elevation.

Snow on city streets results in videos to be taken that rival a Three
Stooges movie.

I have lived in snow. Spent a year in Dayton, OH for schooling. Arrived
through an 11? blizzard in January and left the day after the first
snowfall of the next winter. Highest point in Ohio is only 1504?. Does
not make for great downhill skiing. I also lived in Denver for 3 months of
winter.

===

You haven't really experienced winter snow until you've spent time in
the lake-effect winter snow belts south of Lake Ontario and Lake Erie.
Lake Ontario is the worst of the two because it doesn't freeze all the
way across like Erie does. Once Erie freezes over the winds no longer
pick up moisture as they blow south from Canada.

My old home town is 10 miles south of central Lake Ontario and gets
200 to 300 inches of snow a year, including at least a couple of major
blizzards. The snow banks along the road sometimes get so high that
they bring in arctic snow blowers to cut them back. People put flags
on their car radio antennas so they can be seen over the snow banks as
they approach intersections. The county puts tall wooden stakes on
guard rails so the plows don't accidently hit them.

Actually we get much more than that in parts of the Sierras some years.
One year, my buddy who lived on the West Shore, said they had to use the
rotary blowers as the snow was to deep along the roads to use graders. I
think that year they recorded 110’ at Donner Pass. I worked with a guy who
grew up in the 1930-40’s on the Tahoe west Shore. His dad was a park
ranger. He said one year they lost phone and his dad started from their
place and another guy started from Tahoe City and they had to dig down to
the phone lines as the snow was deeper than the power poles looking for the
break. I think God did not like the Donner Party. Was historically one of
the heaviest snowfalls in history. They were snowed in on October 30. We
hope to usually have enough snow to ski by Thanksgiving.

On the Bear Tooth Hwy they have a plow "standing by" year round at one of
the peaks.

This was rt 317 north of Crested Butte in late June, not even near the
top of the mountain.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/Road%20closed.jpg

Justan " wrote:
On 1/2/21 11:52 AM, Wayne B wrote:

wrote:

On the Bear Tooth Hwy they have a plow "standing by" year round at one of
the peaks.

===

One of my all time favorite roads.
Mine too.
And there's a treasure at both ends.

===

Did you do it in the RV?

Hell no.

I remember the trip over Powder River Pass in my 26’ motor home. I did not
think the climb would ever end.

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 21:33:39 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

wrote:

On the Bear Tooth Hwy they have a plow "standing by" year round at one of
the peaks.

===

One of my all time favorite roads.
Mine too.
And there's a treasure at both ends.

===

Did you do it in the RV?

Hell no.

I remember the trip over Powder River Pass in my 26’ motor home. I did not
think the climb would ever end.

Neither did the line of cars behind you ;-)

wrote:

wrote:

On the Bear Tooth Hwy they have a plow "standing by" year round at one of
the peaks.

===

One of my all time favorite roads.
Mine too.
And there's a treasure at both ends.

===

Did you do it in the RV?

Hell no.

I remember the trip over Powder River Pass in my 26’ motor home. I did not
think the climb would ever end.

Neither did the line of cars behind you ;-)

We unhooked the toad and let any backed up traffic pass. I grew up where
there are mountains and I think we learned better driving manners 60 years
ago.

wrote:

wrote:

On the Bear Tooth Hwy they have a plow "standing by" year round at one of
the peaks.

===

One of my all time favorite roads.
Mine too.
And there's a treasure at both ends.

===

Did you do it in the RV?

Hell no.

I remember the trip over Powder River Pass in my 26’ motor home. I did not
think the climb would ever end.

Neither did the line of cars behind you ;-)

We unhooked the toad and let any backed up traffic pass. I grew up where
there are mountains and I think we learned better driving manners 60 years
ago.

Also, we had to take a few stops to allow for cool downs. Was a 440 dodge
motor and seems as if Chrysler never figured out they needed a big radiator
on their vehicles.

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 00:48:40 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ford had the same problem. I needed to put in a 3 core in my 78
Econoline and in Judy's 86 F-150. It was OK until I put a trailer
behind them although the Econoline always ran hot.

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My 1968 Dodge Charger 383. Overheated anytime you needed the AC. Course
they also put 10” brake drums on it. Same size as a little chevy ll.

Unexpected treat for mall lunchgoers. HarryK[_3_] General 1 December 6th 10 02:10 PM
Words of Wisdom Lu Powell[_8_] General 5 August 6th 09 02:17 PM
Words of Wisdom from Andy Rooney katy ASA 6 January 22nd 07 02:33 PM
Unexpected treat- steamboat! noah General 4 August 28th 03 08:43 PM