Default boating post.

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 19:59:24 -0400, John wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:10:02 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:49:38 -0400, John wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 10:26:51 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 07:21:31 -0400, John wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 00:12:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Took the boat and kayaks to Donner Lake. Fishing was good, catching was
bad. Arrived Sunday, shortly before heavy thunderstorms. Monday, boated
the lake, did some fishing, but got off the lake early when the sky looked
nasty. Just got back to Donner state Park campground, and boat backed in
to the overflow parking, when the sky opened up with large hail, big rain
drops, some lightning. Stayed in the truck for 30-40 minutes, except to
run to the boat and rescue the inflatable PFD, In case the rain drenched
the PFD. Tuesday, kayaked the lake, good workout, as the winds came up.
Wednesday was back to,the boat and the kicker would not run continuously.
Seems as if a fuel problem. Just changed the water fuel separator before
the trip, so may be an air leak in the subsystem. Does not take much to
screw the T-8 Yamaha fuel flow. Did catch a decent bunch of crawdads, from
the creek. Nice with the salad for dinner. Tahoe, and Donner have a huge
population of crawdads. Taste better than fish.

When I think of crawdads, I think of Louisiana. But we did have them in a creek
on the farm in Minnesota. I guess they do get around.

Sounds like some pretty good days!

They had them in DC too but I never saw them in any quantity that
suggested food. I also didn't see them in any water I would consider
a source for food (like Rock Creek or one of the drainage creeks going
through SE). I know herring was a big thing in the creeks down in
Southern Md. We used to see cars with chicken wire nets tied on the
roof all the time. That didn't seem like food to me either.

There is one time a year when folks will gather around the creeks around here
for herring. I've never tried it, but I love herring fixed just about any way
you can imagine, including raw.

When you think of where that creek water comes from, I wouldn't use
those herring for anything but bait. One thing that was universal when
I grew up around there was all creeks were polluted. (septic tanks,
road runoff, pet ****, chemicals or whatever).

That's why I don't mess with 'em. But, having been here (Ft. Belvoir) in the
mid-60's, I can testify that the Potomac and surrounding waterways are a hell of
a lot cleaner than they used to be. Back then if a soldier fell in the Potomac,
he was taken to the hospital for a tetanus shot. The shores were lined with dead
fish. Today folks swim, ski, fish (and eat 'em) in the Potomac. It's also home
to large bass fishing turnaments, and dead fish are rarely seen.

The river got better when they built Blue Plains and stopped dumping
raw sewage in the river but the creeks still have most of the same
problems they always did.
Now if they can just clean up the Susquehanna and the chicken farms on
the Eastern Shore the bay might get better.

Boating post! Bill McKee General 10 October 23rd 09 02:42 AM
Boating post Calif Bill General 4 November 25th 08 01:11 AM
Boating post. Calif Bill General 0 August 28th 07 06:50 AM
A boating post. Bill McKee General 13 November 9th 05 07:23 PM
If you post non boating Florida Keyz General 15 June 28th 04 03:44 AM