Joe Here

Default Honda BF-100 outboard problem

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:23:19 -0000, Sven Golly
wrote:

I have a Honda BF-100 outboard (1982, 9.8hp). I haven't used it for
about six months (ran fine then). Now, when I try to start it, it
runs OK with about 7/8 choke but the moment you try to push the choke
in any further, it revs up and then dies. I've tried mucking with the
air screw -- no effect. Tried cleaning out the carb with spray. No
effect. Cleaned the fuel filter. No change.

If I carefully hold the choke at about 7/8 (out), it will run. But
again, the minute I push it in, the engine revs up (like it does
normally when getting more air) and then just quits.

Any ideas?

It definately sounds like a fuel starvation problem.
I would suggest checking the main jet in the carb, it could be
blocked.

Also, as you turn the choke off, try squeezing the gas bulb a few
times, if this makes a difference, it could be the fuel pump (maybe
with the choke almost closed, the "vacuum" is drawing enough fuel in
for idling.

I think a carb rebuild is certainly in order, if nothing else, for
piece of mind on the water.