Default Bank absurdity

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 20:38:21 -0400, B wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 13:45:47 -0400, B wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 16:59:37 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/20/2020 3:36 PM, John wrote:

On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 15:21:26 -0400, wrote:

I went to the bank and the teller line is closed, you have to use the
drive through so instead of being able to do a social distanced
transaction at the counter they want me to bring a virus infected
document carrier into my car, handle it on my lap and add whatever
viruses I might have. Then you send it back into the bank to infect
the teller and then out to the next victim.
I kept driving.

These people have lost their minds.

Use your computer. It's much more convenient and won't spread the virus. Just
don't lick your monitor!

But then Greg would probably have to upgrade from his 1200 Baud dial-up
modem.

:-)

The strange thing is, if you turned off graphics in your browser, it
should run pretty fast. ATMs ran on 2400 BPS modems and the lag was
processing, not data transmission. I have spent way more time than I
like to think about looking at ATM data streams. The bank loop wasn't
particularly fast either and it was handling a bunch of teller
stations. Banking is basically text until you start sending check
images.

If I am just doing this usenet stuff, it is hard to tell if I am on
dial up or broadband.

Don't you remember Stand-In transacitons when the back end computers
were not as fast as they are now?

Are you talking about "no host"?

Where the ATM can't communicate with the bank of the card holder and
they limit the transaction to $100, the maximum they want to lose if the
card is bad.

Yeah that is no host. They really don't like running that way and we
tried to be on site in an hour or so, 24/7.
It was usually me on coms problem because I was the 7800 guy and I had
the tools. Before that it was always a fight with the phone company
but eventually I had better tools than they had. I could tell them
what they had going on 99% of the time and after a few incidents, they
started believing me.
This was all before things were TCPIP. They were running on a leased 4
wire line running SDLC. (BiSync).

wrote:

[...]

I ran an NCR banking center in San Francisco maintenance. We had banks to
the Canadian border and East to Salt Lake. All leased lines. Even some
110 baud. Was never their problem it seems. Rarely ours actually. We
laughed one time as they admitted was their problem. A shack next to the
railway had burned down melting the passing phone lines. Worse case, I
had gone to Tommy’s Joint for lunch. A block from the center and watched a
giant trenching wheel cut a 6” slot for new street lighting. Shortly
after lunch, knew something was wrong. Was too quiet in the room, and no
alarms going off. Was just no data coming in. The trencher had cut a
1500 pair line. Was Telco problem as the line was only down about 18”,
way under what was required. We were down about 24 hours while they ran
new lines and spliced the break. KRON TV was on the same line, but also a
microwave link, so they were okay.

Absurdity upon absurdity F.O.A.D. General 13 July 1st 13 04:27 PM
US Fed Bank Fraud Canuck57[_9_] General 44 August 9th 11 01:09 AM
letter to my bank CalifBill General 0 March 16th 09 05:19 AM
Bank loans Eisboch General 60 December 14th 08 02:42 AM