Default General Motors

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:38:31 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/29/2020 2:30 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:11:26 -0400, John wrote:

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 11:26:54 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 07:50:30 -0400, John wrote:

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 23:22:36 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 14:53:45 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/28/2020 1:12 PM, Tim wrote:
John H
The new Ford 150 looks like a super truck. My SIL got one through the company,
and he loves it.

Can’t afford to buy new but would love to have one

I may change my mind when I start seriously looking.

A new vehicle every 3-4 years is one unnecessary
luxury I still afford myself though.

I seem to be more like a 20 year cycle but I am not as rich as you
;-)

I keep thinking I should get rid of my 97 Honda but I can't think of
why. I am going to run it till it blows up, call AAA, have it towed,
take my tags and mail them the title. Right now we have three vehicles
in the driveway and only one driver. I really should get rid of
something. I need a truck, my wife won't ride an anything but the
Lincoln and I still like driving my Honda so I guess that is that.

I keep thinking I want a car. Looking at old Mercedes diesels or something like
a Honda civic or crv. The only advantage it would have would be better mileage
than the truck. But then I think of the cost of the car, insurance, maintenance,
taxes, and gas, and realize it would probably take me about 47 years to break
even on the fuel cost savings. So, I still don't have the auto.
--

===

You can pick up older Mercedes diesels for fairly reasonable prices.
We just sold a 2007 E320 with 130K miles on it for $3K, the Kelly
bluebook price. The car still looked great and ran very well most of
the time. It had begun to develop some annoying electronic glitches
however that our mechanic couldn't get a handle on. It was a v6 turbo
diesel that developed 400 ft-lbs of torque and got over 30 mpg. The
fuel range on trips was close to 700 miles. Except for the glitches
it was still a great car that will probably go another 70K miles or
more.

That's more or less what I've been looking at. Sound like your buyer got a good
deal. I wouldn't mind putting a few bucks into it.
--

===

Our buyer was the local CarMax since that is the quickest and cleanest
way to sell that I'm aware of. Since it was over 10 years old they
were going to auction it off, and I doubt that they made much money on
the deal. I didn't want to be bothered with a private sale and
possible recriminations from a disgruntled purchaser.

The biggest issue with older luxury cars is maintenance. The cars may
be a bargain but parts and service are not.

Service is the main reason I have avoided older luxury cars.
Many small, private garages are limited in their ability to
get parts or even work on them.

Even the new BMW's and almost new Porche I had were a problem.
Maintenance had to be performed by factory trained techs and
the locations are more remote.

It's the reason I got rid of the Mini-Cooper I had for a while.
Our local mechanic didn't like working on them, so I'd have
to drive to a BMW dealer north of Boston for any work to be
done. They were the closest BMW shop that worked on
Mini-Coopers.

Okay, everyone, I'll quit looking at older Mercedes diesels!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Keyser Soze wrote:

wrote:

On 3/28/2020 1:12 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

bluebook price.Â* The car still looked great and ran very well most of
the time.Â* It had begun to develop some annoying electronic glitches
however that our mechanic couldn't get a handle on.Â* It was a v6 turbo
diesel that developed 400 ft-lbs of torque and got over 30 mpg.Â* The
fuel range on trips was close to 700 miles.Â* Except for the glitches
it was still a great car that will probably go another 70K miles or
more.

That's more or less what I've been looking at. Sound like your buyer
got a good
deal. I wouldn't mind putting a few bucks into it.
--

===

Our buyer was the local CarMax since that is the quickest and cleanest
way to sell that I'm aware of.Â* Since it was over 10 years old they
were going to auction it off, and I doubt that they made much money on
the deal.Â* I didn't want to be bothered with a private sale and
possible recriminations from a disgruntled purchaser.

The biggest issue with older luxury cars is maintenance.Â* The cars may
be a bargain but parts and service are not.

Service is the main reason I have avoided older luxury cars.
Many small, private garages are limited in their ability to
get parts or even work on them.

Even the new BMW's and almost new Porche I had were a problem.
Maintenance had to be performed by factory trained techs and
the locations are more remote.

It's the reason I got rid of the Mini-Cooper I had for a while.
Our local mechanic didn't like working on them, so I'd have
to drive to a BMW dealer north of Boston for any work to be
done.Â* They were the closest BMW shop that worked on
Mini-Coopers.

One of the reasons why I like Toyotas is because the dealer is about
five miles away, and if your car is going to be there for more than an
hour or two, he'll dispatch a worker to drive you home and then pick you
up when your car is ready. He also has a first class waiting area with
nice couches, big screen TV, huge fireplace, and free coffee and snacks.

You pay for those snacks.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:06:29 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 3/29/20 12:02 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/29/2020 11:13 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 08:04:49 -0400,
wrote:

I saw a doctor being asked if a CPAP machine could be modified for
use as a ventilator.Â*Â* Answer was "No".

Also saw another doc who is currently working in a hospital in
NYC.Â* He explained the protocols and steps taken when a person
is admitted with covid-19 and has difficulty breathing.

They are not put on a ventilator initially.Â* They start with a
oxygen face mask.Â* If the patient responds well, that's all
they do.

Often though, the patient will initially seem to do better
but then deteriorate.Â* At that point they use another type
of oxygen delivery system that is under pressure.

If that fails, they go to another oxygen system that I can't
remember how it differs, but somehow it's a 'high delivery"
system.

If that fails the patient is then put on a ventilator.
The doc said the ventilator is used when all else has
failed and is used as a last resort.

I still haven't heard what the survival rate is when measures go that
far.

===

I read somewhere recently that the survival rate for ICU patients on
ventilators was about 50%, and virtually all of the 50% survivors had
some permanent lung damage.Â* Unfortunately I don't have the original
cite for that.

The doc I heard said basically the same thing which was a surprise to
me.Â* The ventilators that are being talked about so much are the
"last ditch" effort to try to save people who are severely affected
and the survival rate, as you say and as the doc said, is only
about 50 percent ... maybe even less.

What we need are massive, city by city rallies of Trump supporters
interacting on a close, personal level, especially the ones who bought
into their saviour's bull**** of how insignificant the impact of the
virus would be. Party on, and then head to Florida's west coast beaches.

They are already in Southern Md so you be careful now. The doctor
thinks my niece had it and got over it (a few miles down the road from
you) but they don't have any tests to be sure.

Wrote in message:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 12:06:29 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:On 3/29/20 12:02 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote: On 3/29/2020 11:13 AM,
wrote: On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 08:04:49 -0400, wrote: I saw a doctor being asked if a CPAP machine could be modified for use as a ventilator. Answer was "No". Also saw another doc who is currently working in a hospital in NYC. He explained the protocols and steps taken when a person is admitted with covid-19 and has difficulty breathing. They are not put on a ventilator initially. They start with a oxygen face mask. If the patient responds well, that's all they do. Often though, the patient will initially seem to do better but then deteriorate. At that point they use another type of oxygen delivery system that is under pressure. If that fails, they go to another oxygen system that I can't remember how it differs, but somehow it's a 'high delivery" system. If that fails the patient is then put on a ventilator. The doc said the ventilator is used when all else has failed and is used as a last resort. I still haven't heard what the survival rate is when measures go that far. === I read somewhere recently that the survival rate for ICU patients on ventilators was about 50%, and virtually all of the 50% survivors had some permanent lung damage. Unfortunately I don't have the original cite for that. The doc I heard said basically the same thing which was a surprise to me. The ventilators that are being talked about so much are the "last ditch" effort to try to save people who are severely affected and the survival rate, as you say and as the doc said, is only about 50 percent ... maybe even less. What we need are massive, city by city rallies of Trump supporters interacting on a close, personal level, especially the ones who bought into their saviour's bull**** of how insignificant the impact of the virus would be. Party on, and then head to Florida's west coast beaches.They are already in Southern Md so you be careful now. The doctorthinks my niece had it and got over it (a few miles down the road fromyou) but they don't have any tests to be sure.

I wonder if she touched the same gas pump that Fat Harry did? If
so she might be a carrier.
--
..

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 3/29/20 5:00 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:

I wonder if she touched the same gas pump that Fat Harry did? If
so she might be a carrier.

You know what is really sad here? You. About three quarters of your
posts, maybe more, are juvenile insults aimed at me. You really have
nothing intelligent, clever, or funny to say about anything, do you? And
a few of your FLEEG compadres here are in that same little boat.

What a sad sack of **** you are.

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 18:47:31 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 3/29/20 5:00 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:

I wonder if she touched the same gas pump that Fat Harry did? If
so she might be a carrier.

You know what is really sad here? You. About three quarters of your
posts, maybe more, are juvenile insults aimed at me. You really have
nothing intelligent, clever, or funny to say about anything, do you? And
a few of your FLEEG compadres here are in that same little boat.

What a sad sack of **** you are.

And about 95% of your posts are attacks on the conservatives here.

What a horrid sack of **** you are.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 3/29/20 5:00 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:

I wonder if she touched the same gas pump that Fat Harry did? If
so she might be a carrier.

You know what is really sad here? You. About three quarters of your
posts, maybe more, are juvenile insults aimed at me. You really have
nothing intelligent, clever, or funny to say about anything, do you? And
a few of your FLEEG compadres here are in that same little boat.

What a sad sack of **** you are.

Sounds like you describing yourself and your posts.

wrote:

On 3/29/20 5:00 PM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:

I wonder if she touched the same gas pump that Fat Harry did? If
so she might be a carrier.

You know what is really sad here? You. About three quarters of your
posts, maybe more, are juvenile insults aimed at me. You really have
nothing intelligent, clever, or funny to say about anything, do you? And
a few of your FLEEG compadres here are in that same little boat.

What a sad sack of **** you are.

===

'Airry, you've been making juvenile insults aimed at almost everyone
on this group for over 20 years. So what does that make you?

What a sad sack of **** *you* are.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

On 3/28/2020 1:12 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

That is one thing about my Prelude, Turn it over and it is a Civic so
parts are available and if you are OK with after market parts, cheap.
I haven't really replaced much but Advance Auto seems to have it.

wrote:

On 3/28/2020 1:12 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

The vehicles for at least 20+ years have been pretty impressive for needing
repair. When you understand how much more technology is in the vehicles
and really how few problems most have in the same amount of time, most
50-60’s cars were worn out. My 2004 Chevy 2500 in 150,000 miles still ran
great. Seats were getting broke down, they changed the front hubs at
60,000 miles, but was probably my own fault for abusing them. Forgot and
towed the boat back 150 miles at freeway speed in 4x4 mode. One hub made
noise and the dealer mechanic said the other was a little out of
tolerance, so replaced it also. And the CD changer went out, so replaced
with an Alpine nav unit. And a fuel pressure regulator at 140,000 and
power steering hose at 150,000. Oh, a water pump at maybe 110,000.
Brakes at 80,000.

The Expanding E85 Fleet of General Motors ellis gibb General 6 October 3rd 08 01:48 AM
E-Tec motors Bill Kiene General 3 May 30th 07 06:11 PM
two motors on one boat JJ General 22 April 17th 05 11:43 AM